71. You may not vote on this poll
  • M3

38 53.52%
  • C6

33 46.48%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 05' BMW M3 vs. 05' Chevrolet Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    not to mention that chevy's "claimed" figures in particular are overly optimistic, they calim 4.2 for the 0-60 on a corvette, porsche claims 4.8 for the carrera s, when tested by autoweek, they founf the numbers to be exactly the opposite
    Sport Auto tested the C5 spyder, which according to the factory should reach 100 kph in 4.1 seconds. The tested one took 5.4, so they asked for another car, which was a bit faster but still making only 5.2 secs, or 20% above factory figures
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thank you. I rest my case there- never trust claimed figures.

never trust that american figures are as quick as they say, and never trust that german figures are as slow as they say
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Yeah, I was about to type something like that

The Germans underestimate their amazing cars, Yankees Dawgs do it so that they can feel good about themselves

It depends what mood I'm in, but I'd probably take the Bimmer. Room for 3 of my friends, a more comfortable interior, plus, the power's there when I need it.
    [edited]Accidentally wrote Corvette[/edited]
    Last edited by Rockefella; 08-28-2005 at 01:35 PM.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Learn to use the "Quote" button
    Not drifting a car on the road doesn't mean you are unable to do it.

The standard price here was £70,000 for a C5 convertible, at least that's how I remember seeing it in Top Gear. Used values are crap because it's LHD and poor quality, never mind if it's fast or not [/QUOTE]
    Can you give me some details on this poor quality that you talk about? My understanding was that one of the poorest build quality brands was a British brand(TVR)

Most American cars are tanks- and yes, whilst the economy may be better CLAIMED I think that if you put it into practise, you'd find that, in cities, and on the motorway, the M3 would kick the crap out of a 'Vette for economy.
    American tanks.... You call things names a lot of times and it is getting on my nerves that that is all you can come up with repeatedly to back up your side. You have made rude comments about americans. I expect more acceptance from people on a forum so diverse but I guess some people just want to come on to feel good about themselves.
    A high-tech, 3.2 six plays a 6.0 V8 with... is it 3 valves per cylinder? I can't remember. Never trust claimed figures. In fact, Autocar state 26 mpg combined for the BMW M3, and 23 for the C5 Corvette, which has a smaller V8. Granted, the new car is lighter, but the Vauxhall Monaro with a 6.0 LS2 does an average of 17.6 mpg (Top Gear Magazine). It may be heavier, but the new 'Vette would still have a similar late-teens, low-twenties figure.
    You say "Never trust claimed figures." only to go on to not only quoting figures but trying to estimate for cars that you have NO idea what they would actually do. It seems pretty crazy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 3spddrft
    My understanding was that one of the poorest build quality brands was a British brand(TVR)
    Brain-washed
    TVR wasn't all THAT bad, had it's moments as a company for sure tho'
    American tanks.... You call things names a lot of times and it is getting on my nerves that that is all you can come up with repeatedly to back up your side. You have made rude comments about americans. I expect more acceptance from people on a forum so diverse but I guess some people just want to come on to feel good about themselves.
    ? compare US cars with ROW and you see where the view 'tank' comes from.
    The 'vette is hailed for being "light" and cheap and rationalised by comparing with Ferrari. Pick Lotus or Caterham or Westfield or Noble or ...
    I think you're over sensitive but accept it can be touchy from the US perspective.
    You say "Never trust claimed figures." only to go on to not only quoting figures but trying to estimate for cars that you have NO idea what they would actually do. It seems pretty crazy to me.
    I think it's OK to accept mileage as they are stricly controlled conditions overseen by government bodies.
    0-60 has often been used over the years by magazines to get the 'better' number so their rag sells better
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

BMW all the way.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

C6 without any doubt!

It's faster, and most importantly has absolutely superior handling. Only thing M3 has better is interior. And that is not enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    the c55 is already on par or slightly lower than the m3, and ive heard the new m3 will have the 400hp v8 from the previous m5
    i dont think it will get the old M5 engine i beleive they will build a new engine with the new techonology that came out( wait reduction and many other) but i do think they will either use a bigger inline 6 or upgrade it to an 8 cylenders
    and the M3 is my choice

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega

and most importantly has absolutely superior handling
    omg, you don't know how hard I am laughing right now.
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Pick Lotus or Caterham or Westfield or Noble or ...
    At the Top Gear test track wasn't the BASE C6 quicker than a exige around the track? The Elise isn't really a contest if you are taking into consideration budget performance and something practical. The Caterham and Westfield are both far too impractical for a daily driver. I'm not too sure about the Noble.

Quote Originally Posted by 6'bore
    omg, you don't know how hard I am laughing right now.
    If you think otherwise, you're completely dilusional.

It depends on the track.. I think the M3 has better handling overall, but the C6's power would probably get it around a track quicker.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by 3spddrft
    At the Top Gear test track wasn't the BASE C6 quicker than a exige around the track? The Elise isn't really a contest if you are taking into consideration budget performance and something practical. The Caterham and Westfield are both far too impractical for a daily driver. I'm not too sure about the Noble.
    Yeah, sure, a Caterham is SOOOO impractical...

http://users.compaqnet.be/carcollect...am21front1.jpg

Dude, an Elise is extremely quick (0-60 in 5.1 ain't bad, and if you use Chevy's figures again I'm going to laugh), and you can buy the Elise here for... £26,000 or so... whilst the C6 here is LAUGHABLY expensive for a car with about 10% of the driver enjoyment of an Elise. On a REAL twisty road, say the B4468, then the Elise would show up the C6 as a fat, non-handling piece of shit- just like it is

Nobles have been hailed as amazing driver cars, now, how does a REAL 0-60 time of 3.9 secs for an old M12 compare to your beloved Corvette? Get real...

And there are plenty Americans that I like. my porsche, Matt, baddabang, all my guys know who they are

Thread Information