Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VE Commodore to be half foreign

VE Commodore to be half foreign

http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,1...33-462,00.html

Commodore to be half foreign
    By Robert Wilson

August 30, 2005

ALMOST half the components on the Holden Commodore will be built overseas when the latest version of Australia's most popular car is released next July.
    Industry experts estimate that just 55 per cent of products installed on Holden's VE Commodore will be produced by local suppliers, compared with 75 per cent in the current model.

Faced with falling sales in its core large-car segment, and the failure of its locally developed four-wheel-drive models, Holden has dumped local component makers and sourced parts from as far away as Mexico, Thailand, the US and China.

Automotive industry sources say at least seven Australian-based suppliers have been replaced with overseas competitors, with the car's glass, differential, plastics and electronics now coming from abroad.

"Some of it has been forced on them, such as importing their engine blocks from Mexico, after (component maker) Ion went under," one source said. "But there's clearly been, shall we say, a robust pricing policy at work."

Remaining local components in the new Commodore include most of the engine, body panels, seats and air-conditioning.

Advertisement:
    Holden - the local arm of US automotive giant General Motors - is also a major Australian exporter, shipping more than 50,000 cars and almost 150,000 engines each year from its plants at Elizabeth, in South Australia, and Fishermans Bend, in Victoria.

Holden told workers at its Elizabeth assembly plant on Thursday that a raft of issues, including falling demand for its Commodores, would see daily production slashed from 855 to 620 vehicles and jobs cut from 5700 to 4300 from next January.

Holden will achieve this by cutting the third shift at the plant. Officials from the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union met company management yesterday as employees were briefed on the voluntary redundancy package.

The AMWU believes up to 900 workers will accept an offer comprising 4 weeks' pay plus 3 1/2 weeks' pay for every year of service and any long-service or other benefits. For the average Holden employee with 10 years' service, that equates to about $42,000.

The union has asked the company to keep the job cuts to less than 1000 until the new Commodore is released next July.

While Holden had dropped some local suppliers, it had invited others to participate in the VE program, spokeswoman Maya Donevska said.

Japanese body panel maker Hirotec, German transmission company ZF Lemforder and seat-maker Johnson Controls were building facilities in Adelaide near the Holden factory, she said.

"Holden's policy is, all things being equal, we prefer to use Australian suppliers but we have to remain globally competitive," Ms Donevska said.

The VE Commodore will be the least Australian of the four car models built here.

By their manufacturers' figures, the Ford Falcon and Territory are 85 per cent Australian, the current Toyota Camry is 79 per cent locally made and even Mitsubishi's 380 large car will be 62 per cent locally made, despite using an imported engine, when it is released next month.

Graeme Billings, an industrial analyst at PriceWaterhouseCoopers, said small suppliers that made up the bulk of the local components industry were battling multinationals that often had strategic reasons for working in the region.
    I am the Stig

$42,000? is that taxable? thats more then i make in a year if its not not a bad deal.

Go work for Ford if you get cut, theyre not doing so bad

Seriously though, a lot of aussies will lose jobs for the sake of Holden penny pinching. I dont like it. It stinks.
    The Datto will rage again...

Well it would be an alright time for Ford to add a 2nd shift and get serious into exports, theres definately the workforce there now...
    I am the Stig

crank out some extra tezzas for the South Africans and Euros to get stuck into

yeah, i dont think anyone believed they'd only sell 2000 in SA...they sell around about that number in NZ afterall...Europe might like it, but it'd need a TD engine first as the petrol engine would kill its appeal.

With the 07 model theres the possibility of LHD as well
    I am the Stig

i new that Ion where having troubles but i didn't think they where going under

what the falcon and tezzie more aussie than any other model always new it was true

the tezza would be a good export for ford i believe.

both of their local products carry alot of merit, but with the latest global trends it seems the Tezza would get more attention. outside of the immediate region, most would see the Falcon too much of a sports sedan
    I am the Stig

IT's simple it's not Holdens fault it's easy some it up with 3 letters ---> FTA
    And my mate is looking to close up shop i think. Many things have been shifted overseas or things that were to be made here are not cause of something GM owns here they decide to make it at home. This is looking after number 1 there backyard. The one I'm talking about was i think brakes or something else? They were made here by a company that GM owns ran by Aussie's. Well they decided to move that from the company here risk jobs all because it's better for them to make them over there saves them some money and they are looking after number 1 again.

But I'll say this, Holden doesn't need to cut jobs and cut cost really at all. It's not like they are loosing money they make profits and they might be the only owned GM brand that does make profits every year. This is GM looking to save money cause they couldn't run a hot dog stand. Why else would they call on there home wrecker Mooney, He has a history of being a dodgy guy i have herd his past was building shit tank cars in the past. So you wonder how could he get a job that's going up. He's a Chainsaw that's why.

No more concept cars.
    No more Monaro 2 months after saying it's here for the long haul.
    Caddy's coming.
    Hummer or H4? is coming.
    Daypoo with holden badges.
    Why not bring back the suburban.
    Retire (Push) Hamburgers out.

To me the above show cost cutting looking after old friends and running holden into the ground.
    A Sale is in the making maybe?

Please someone tell me this when has the Commodore stopped selling this year? Holden is on record this year this is all bogus to me.
    The AWD yes but the Commodore never. They are just making bull up now to try and justify getting parts overseas, Why not just say hey we won't to get the car as cheap as we can cause it's costing a shit load to make we lost the global zeta and we need to make the price as competitive with the rest as we can.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 08-31-2005 at 09:11 AM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Since the introduction of about the VN i believe the last thing Holden cared about was the Australian buying public.

Maybe they should change the name of the Commodore to the Frankenstien.

Made of that many different parts from all over the globe.

Mind you i drive a holden, be it a HJ, with a trusty piece of Aussie ingenuity under the bonnet the 202 red.

Holden could easily construct their own donks, they just want more profit off us poor bastards.

i gave up on the lion when they ditched the 304 V8. why?

I imagine that the holden workers could get jobs at ZF, Hirotec or that other one quite easily. It seems odd to be laying off workers because of declining sales with the nearest to an all new holden in a long time on the horizon, when they'll need to be ramping up production
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Rooboy
    Since the introduction of about the VN i believe the last thing Holden cared about was the Australian buying public.

Maybe they should change the name of the Commodore to the Frankenstien.

Made of that many different parts from all over the globe.

Mind you i drive a holden, be it a HJ, with a trusty piece of Aussie ingenuity under the bonnet the 202 red.

Holden could easily construct their own donks, they just want more profit off us poor bastards.

i gave up on the lion when they ditched the 304 V8. why?
    Well Holdens mix matching of cars to come up with a new Commodore has gone on since the VB, the VE is the first inhouse design and if you go over the development costs you can see where theyve saved. The EA was supposedly a 700 million project, Holden done the VN on 375m. Even the VT was only 600m and the AU got criticised for being developed to a budget, that budget being 700m again.
    I am the Stig

700m is a significant chunk of cash. If we had $700 we could build an INSANE car

when you think about it, you can see where it all goes. they can spend hos after hors going around you yangs or lang lang doing different suspension setups, then theyve all got to be tested in the real world. new shapes need to be tested in the wind tunnel to make sure theyre aerodynamically sound, and any sports kits need to be looked at to make sure that 6 inch rear spoiler isnt producing positive lift rather than downforce...then they can also check out the brake cooling whilst theyre there. its endless for something thats a mass produced car.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information