Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything like a caterham seven available in the states?

Anything like a caterham seven available in the states?

Going to build a car with one of two people. Either my grandpa (wants a fast car) or my dad (wants a fun to drive car). I have a feeling all of us will be working on it and will come to some compromise. Really something like the lotus seven, made street legal would be perfect. I would love to build something from scratch... but the lotus just isn't available in the states, and really i could see dying in that car if i got rearended by a toddler on a tricycle. We looked into a cobra replica, (factory five) but to be honest i cant see getting that done for under $25,000 and thats really too much. Was looking at buying a 93-96 impreza and getting a jdm front clip, but would probably end up spending $20k on that to make it safe and all the supporting mods (wheels, brakes, suspension) for the power.

Now I'm pretty much stuck, i would love to build a car from scratch... but dont have a huge budget. This would really only need to be a 2 seater... no a/c or anything... nothing fancy... non-winter (obviously) car. And to be honest if its fast (read lightweight) thats great, if its fun to drive (read lightweight) thats great, and if i would survive a wreck (read 15,000lbs) thats a major plus.

Really im not sure if i can float more than 10k for this, maybe a 10k initial investment and work from there to make the car better? I dont know. Really I don't have much mechanical knowledge (just the basic knowing how everything works... what and where everything belongs... changing oil kind of knowledge) but im really willing to learn. We dont have a lift but will go out and buy a jack and jackstands if we can come on a descision. Plus some other stuff... torque wrench.. My grandpa was an electrion for a while and then became a contractor. My dad's a lawyer. So as you can see we probably cant tackle anything really complex or advanced.

Once again i live in the midwest (south dakota) and its really kind of hard to find cars here. We have a few ferraris... lambos.. am's and the like in town, and supposedly have the largest corvette per capita in the entire country (i hate corvettes now)... so its not like i live on a farm or something. Anyways, would really appreciate your advice and judging by the kind of members i see here im sure ill get some help.

Yes, the Caterham Super Seven is indeed available here. It is available as a kit-car(you can also get it assembled).
    It is a fast and also a fun car.
    Have a look at their webnsite for a ordering form.
    I also live in south dakota(Pierre).

there's a company in the US that sells kit cars with the S2000 engine. I forget what its called though

Oh hey, im in Sioux Falls. I'll have to take a closer look at that then.. not sure what my problem was with not seeing that before.

edit: it helped if i looked at the us instead of the uk site

ok i really didn't know they were that expensive... would be $30k all said and done. with the base model... not good. Any other suggestions?

You can get lots of Lotus 7 style kit cars in the U.S.

Look into the Lo-Cost 7 replicas, they're very cheap, popular, look good and go hard (Like a good prostitute )

do a search on here for "luego" and youll find a whole thread about it and how someone is building one, im also thinking of getting one if i can raise the cash
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

and if you dont want the raw 7 looks then check out the Fisher Fury.

The same chassis, suspension, engine, performance and handling as their 7-copy but in a VERY nice sportscar body.

http://www.furyusa.com/

THe bike engined ones with sequential box are lovely nimble cars to chuck around ( NOT for 100 miles of freeway at 55mph tho )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

that fisher fury looks great
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    that fisher fury looks great
    They do really well on track too

Not sure if all the options/variants will be available in the US.
    See what they offer at http://www.fishersportscars.co.uk

The new Menace is mid-engined and a REAL screamer
    Was tempted at the Kit show ....
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I own a Lotus 7 repilica, with a little twist, it has a Supercharged 3800 V6 (L67). It seems to meet you needs, check out www.stalkerv6.com for the manufactuer website, or stalker.whittlegroup.com for our finished car.
    FWD and performance, never have, and never will mix.

This is an official Caterham dealer in the USA: http://www.uscaterham.com/. Superperformance sells an excelent Super 7 replica: http://dynamicmotorsports.net/
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by Widsinator
    I own a Lotus 7 repilica, with a little twist, it has a Supercharged 3800 V6 (L67). It seems to meet you needs, check out www.stalkerv6.com for the manufactuer website, or stalker.whittlegroup.com for our finished car.
    how much was yours?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

If going 7-esque remember and decide whether you want live-axle or IRS rear.

You'll find it better able to handle mid-corner pitch changes with IRS, BUT the live-axle with multi-link anti-tramp will be better if you're dragging it.

Yeah a Caterham 7...

Thread Information