Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VFACTS: Corolla continues to boom whilst Falcon outsells Commodore

VFACTS: Corolla continues to boom whilst Falcon outsells Commodore

http://finance.news.com.au/story/0,1...-31037,00.html

Small cars sales surge

September 05, 2005

SOARING petrol prices have not deterred car buyers, with sales continuing at record levels in August, led by small cars.
    The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) said today 86,179 new cars and trucks were retailed last month, an 8.8 per cent rise on the 79,224 sold in the same month last year.

It was the best August on record and left the industry on track for another record year, the fourth in a row.

The FCAI said demand for the first eight months of 2005 had reached 663,445, a 5.3 per cent improvement compared to the same period last year.

It left the full-year forecast at 980,000 units, well ahead of the record 955,229 sold last year.

FCAI chief executive Peter Sturrock said the strength in the vehicle market this year had defied predictions that high house prices and rising petrol costs would dampen demand.

Advertisement:
    "Fuel prices are not discouraging people from buying motor vehicles, although they do seem to be influencing the type of vehicles being bought, Mr Sturrock said.

"Of the more than 5000 extra passenger cars sold in August, 4600 were in the small segment."

Sales of small cars rose 33 per cent last month following a 26 per cent jump in July. Demand for large cars was down 5.3 per cent after a 13 per cent slide last month.

The top-selling company in August was Toyota, with 17,920, ahead of Holden on 15,307 and Ford on 12,157.

Toyota also led on a year-to-date basis with 132,311 units compared to 119,585 for Holden and 88,239 for Ford.

But in the battle for the top selling car, Ford upset Holden last month, the Falcon coming out on top of the Commodore with 5,826 units compared to 5,618.

Ford president Tom Gorman said the Falcon had its best month since June last year, a good result for the company as it prepared for the release of the new BF model in October.

"Achieving leadership of the large car segment in August is a great accomplishment for the company and our dealers," he said. "The large car market remains extremely important and continues to attract a wide variety of Australian consumers.

"Competition for share of this segment is only going to heat up over the coming months."

Emphasising the impact of rising petrol prices, the small Toyota Corolla also had a great month, retailing 4783 units.

Other top selling vehicles included the Holden Astra (3290), the Toyota Camry (2982), the Mazda 3 (2074), the Ford Falcon Ute (1823), the Holden Ute (1788), The Ford Territory (1735) and the Toyota Hi-Lux 4X4 (1593
    I am the Stig

I tell you something it's not Falcon that out sold the Commodore cause something is wrong there see them numbers they are way down Falcon sticks out them numbers all day every month. But the Commodores numbers are down?
    Is this the mooney factor You all know i was gunna say that

I would love to see some other months to see if holden has dropped off the pace compared to the other months this year.
    When i seen commodore sales drop i was laughing but it's true.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Holden typically has only been gettin 6000 a month, so its not that far off. Theyre planning on dropping the 3rd production shift, but thats not in affect yet. I think simply Ford lifted their game, although theyre down to 1700 Territory's so i think they just fiddled with the production line preferences.
    I am the Stig

I still think mooney is a tool.

Large cars dropped and suv sale also. Might be a year to year thing the SUV's are going steady but now the small cars are jumping because of high petrol prices?.
    But i think people have got to see that the large cars here are as good on fuel as the a small car was in the 90's and way better off then the large cars of the 90's as well. Large cars today as a 6 don't eat petrol as they once did so they shouldnt panic, Cause they might regret it later.
    If petrol was $1.60 i still wouldn't buy a small little car cause it runs 7L per 100
    I use public transport a little more but

i thought it was about time the falcon had another sales win, ford is just missing that extra big seller before it draws even with holden and toyota in sales. come on Focus you can do it

Focus AND Fiesta. They need them both to be going good, atm theyre only just getting their target sales of about 1000 and 400 sales a month. they need that around 2000 and 1000 to tackle Toyota and Holden at least. The Corolla was almost 5000 this month as well.
    I am the Stig

Don't think holden will catch Toyota, but they will from time to time as ford did with Holden out sell them.

Well they might do. They seem to think that their weakness is the SUV's, but i dont really like their chances of getting on top of that. Theyve got the S3X and another crossover coming, but thats mainly to deal with the Territory and Kluger. Theyve still left the Landcruiser, Prado and 79 series without a solid competitor, and Toyota will continue to eat them alive i feel. The only advantage Holden has is with the Commodore, and Toyota counter that with the Corollas sales being more than twice what all the other small cars seem to be getting.
    I am the Stig

So really whilst Ford And Holden have 2-3-4 good monthly models that sell very well.
    Toyota has 1 big massive seller and the rest make up the numbers with ok sales.

I wonder what happen to that deal where Holden and Toyota were going to share some cars again as Toyota wanted a big RWD car and Holden wanted the Big 4WD.

Toyota are such a dark horse. What i mean is you hear so little about them and year after year theyre a consistent best seller.

I saw petrol at 1:39.9 this arvo thats $1.50 for 98
    The Datto will rage again...

Thats basically it, Toyota are on top simply by giving the public a wide range of dull cars, whilst Holden and Ford have specific good cars.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Toyota are such a dark horse. What i mean is you hear so little about them and year after year theyre a consistent best seller.

I saw petrol at 1:39.9 this arvo thats $1.50 for 98
    Does the 200 have knock sensors? I'd take a stab and say it doesnt...
    I am the Stig

They have got every type of car people want, Except the Big RWD V8 6 type car.
    But i will say this i have it before don't think it's racist cause it really isnt it's the truth.
    So many Asia people around the world move from home and move to new countrys. Some are born in there new countrys and become 2nd-4th gen of that country.
    But one thing that remains is this.
    There first car is one that know toyota mazda nissan etc. Most of the time it's a toyota. You get some familys that have 4 of the same car. You also see some familys that own 2 Toyota and have a Falcon or Commodore. But most of the time they buy these cars cause it's what they know and trust they are comfortable with them.
    If i was overseas i would want to buy a Aussie car if one was around it's the same thing.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 09-06-2005 at 12:27 AM.

thats expected though, if you went to the US you'd want a GTO
    I am the Stig

the new focus is simular to the mazda 3 and the mazda's are selling like hot cakes, so they could sell quite a few focus's

hopefully fingers crossed

Thread Information