Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why is my dad so lame

why is my dad so lame

well ive been working a good job here for about a month now..its hard hard work but i make good money and i figure its time to buy a car and since im workin hard and making good money id buy somethin ive always wanted even if it is a little pricey. this car right here
    problem is i have no credit built up and so no bank is gonna give me a loan without a co-signer. i go up to my dad and say dad i'm workin a good job now and i found a car just like the one i always wanted can you co sign on a loan for me. and he won't do it. he told me when he was my age he wanted to buy a 66 GT350 and his dad wouldnt co-sign for him i said that must have pissed you off. and he told me it did but then he learned to save his money. well if i save my money this cars gonna be gone forever and i'll prob never find one this clean again, in this color, with these options (this ones exactly what i want), and if i do it won't be near by. im so frusterated right now. next winter i am buying a GT500 weather he likes it or not tho so whatever...i just dont want to wait a year to get a car like i want. i dunno why im telling you guys all this tho...guess i just needed to vent
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

oh for the love of God, get over it. your dad is right, it is better to save up for the car then to get it from the bank, both for yourself and financially. firstly, you really should learn how to save your money, budget, etc. You're 20, and you're heading into the world; THESE ARE SKILLS YOU MUST KNOW!!! On the financial side, you won't be able to go the full amount for the car, because the bank likes to protect its investment, so if you miss a couple payments, BOOM, they possess your car. You'll end up spending more with the loan and interest and what not then if you just payed for it yourself. I hate to be so cynical, but that's the way it is.
    "We first fought the heathens in the name of religion, then Communism, and now in the name of drugs and terrorism. Our excuses for global domination always change." - Serj Tanikan

"Dusting is a good example of the futility of trying to put things right. As soon as you dust, the fact of your next dusting has already been established." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    well ive been working a good job here for about a month now..its hard hard work but i make good money and i figure its time to buy a car and since im workin hard and making good money id buy somethin ive always wanted even if it is a little pricey. this car right here
    problem is i have no credit built up and so no bank is gonna give me a loan without a co-signer. i go up to my dad and say dad i'm workin a good job now and i found a car just like the one i always wanted can you co sign on a loan for me. and he won't do it. he told me when he was my age he wanted to buy a 66 GT350 and his dad wouldnt co-sign for him i said that must have pissed you off. and he told me it did but then he learned to save his money. well if i save my money this cars gonna be gone forever and i'll prob never find one this clean again, in this color, with these options (this ones exactly what i want), and if i do it won't be near by. im so frusterated right now. next winter i am buying a GT500 weather he likes it or not tho so whatever...i just dont want to wait a year to get a car like i want. i dunno why im telling you guys all this tho...guess i just needed to vent
    maybe, well.. maybe he trusts you just about as much as the bank money wise.
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

spend your money on college. then when you get out you will have a better more high paying job then w/o it and then you can buy whatever car you want.

i go up to my dad and say dad i'm workin a good job now and i found a car just like the one i always wanted can you co sign on a loan for me. and he won't do it.
    he told me when he was my age he wanted to buy a 66 GT350 and his dad wouldnt co-sign for him i said that must have pissed you off. and he told me it did but then he learned to save his money.
    Theres the lesson there. Its easy for an old fart like me to pontificate but you sound like I was a hundred years ago. blew all my money and have always been in debt buying cars.
    Technically you dad is right and stands as evidence of that. Of course this is of absolutely zero comfort to yo now.

well if i save my money this cars gonna be gone forever and i'll prob never find one this clean again, in this color, with these options (this ones exactly what i want), and if i do it won't be near by. im so frusterated right now.
    There will always be other cars. Maybe not exactly like this one. Maybe worse, maybe better. F#*k , I sound like Yoda!

I got loan for my car. (my old car died though so i didnt have a choice) Not a huge amount but enough to be in the back of my mind most times i see money.

I would say save and buy it outright. Think of the mods the interest WOULD have got you. I could have bought a mad catback exhaust for mine with the interest im paying.
    The Datto will rage again...

Precisely the Same thing as my Parentals here, but in a little bit differant circumstances.

When my Grandmother died in 2002, she left me and My sister $5,000 each for a car in her will.

I could access the money tommorrow and buy a car, but I could not insure or register it, so my Parents tell me that until I can do such things, I don't have access to the money.

It's all well and good just to get put onto your parents credit check (Or in My Case Insurance) but you'll never develop a credit rating (And me a No Claims Bonus) unless you do it yourself.

Simple really. It's the smart thing. Plus, what happens if you default on the credit; your Dad gets the bad wrap and that could wreck his life. I would not do a similar thing with my Son.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Juggs, you've taken some rap over it already so I'll try not to be too heavy ( but I concur with everything said so far )

The best way I advise on car ownership is to ask what will happen if the car is lost in an uninsured incident - act of god, theft whilst unlocked, trackday etc etc

IF you can't show how you could afford to get a replacement car and that the emotional and financial pain woudlnt' be excessive then you're not ready for car ownership yet.

There will ALWAYS be other cars jsut as good - espsecially if the one you're in love with is on eBay !! It's the kind that turn up in a farmers barn and only you know about that are the ones to sell the kids and a few spare organs for
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Juggs: If I were you, I'd be thanking your father. My father had the confidence in me to let me do what I wanted without interfeering. So just has I got a good salary from my former work as advertising copywirter in a big agency (5 years ago), I went and bought myself my Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI, wich I still have.
    In the meanwhile things got rough over here. The country went deep into a echonomical crisis. I got out of that agency because it was undergoing a bad moment.
    Then I've build up my own business, and invested some of the money I had gathered.
    By that time, I had allready my present girlfriend. She had a house wich her father was paying for. He lost all he had in bad investments. To prevent her from loosing her house and be forced to live in her stupid stepmother's house, I steped ahead and accepted the responsability of paying for her house until she finish her degree.
    Without taking other expenses in account, I ended up with a fixed monthly bill of 550€ (350€ for the house, plus almost 200€ for the car. I don't know if that sounds like much by your patterns, but in Portugal, for a 25 year old it's one hell of a weight to carry)
    In the meanwhile, my business went up at an acceptable rithm, but still this was too much for me to put up with. So there were times when I couldn't even find 50 cents on my pocket for a f***** morning coffee(let alone vacations dinner with friends, etc..), and sometimes I had the bank calling and getting back no acceptable answers from me.
    And through all this I tried (and managed) to let no one (except my supporting gf) realise what I was going through.
    Today things are back on rails again. My car will be totally paid in November, and my GF has made two final exams this week! She'll be working soon.
    Things are looking good again, and probably next year I can start dreaming about buying back my dreams .

What's the moral on this story? AVOID AT ANY COST BUYING WHAT YOU CAN'T AFFORD WITH YOUR OWN SAVINGS!

The last 2 years of my life wouldn't have been so bad if I had bought an older car that I could pay for with my savings, instead of going for a 15.000€ one.

Credits can eat your head up when your trying to sleep at night, and account managers are not that nice when you have a negative balance.

And there will be more perfect cars! Believe me.
    Last edited by McReis; 09-08-2005 at 05:39 AM.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

In the meantime, does anyone else not think the price is FAR to high for the car?

I ran it through KBB.com and loaded it out, rated it in excellent condidion, and 46k miles (and I selected that it has the 5.7 engine, not the small 5.0) - Private Party Sale Value: $4,155.00

Granted, there is no option package on KBB for the "Heritage Package" - even if there was, I suspect that couldn't add, say, 2k to the price - so figure, it's gotta be $6k tops... and yet the guy wants $12,500... If I was your dad, I would have to agree, $12,500 for a car that really shouldn't be much more than $6,000... Even if I wanted the car, I'd take a pass, they seller is smoking CRACK. You can get an F-Body, same style as that one, here in KC, a NICE one for $3,000 I bet. They're all over the place. Another thing that no one has pointed it out is that you are going to need a mullet to drive that car, at least here in the states anyway.

Just my $0.02
    ...Utah! Get me two...

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn
    In the meantime, does anyone else not think the price is FAR to high for the car?

I ran it through KBB.com and loaded it out, rated it in excellent condidion, and 46k miles (and I selected that it has the 5.7 engine, not the small 5.0) - Private Party Sale Value: $4,155.00

Granted, there is no option package on KBB for the "Heritage Package" - even if there was, I suspect that couldn't add, say, 2k to the price - so figure, it's gotta be $6k tops... and yet the guy wants $12,500... If I was your dad, I would have to agree, $12,500 for a car that really shouldn't be much more than $6,000... Even if I wanted the car, I'd take a pass, they seller is smoking CRACK. You can get an F-Body, same style as that one, here in KC, a NICE one for $3,000 I bet. They're all over the place. Another thing that no one has pointed it out is that you are going to need a mullet to drive that car, at least here in the states anyway.

Just my $0.02
    I agree. The price on that is ridiculous. You can get a LT1 or even an LS1 for that price!

, because the bank likes to protect its investment, so if you miss a couple payments, BOOM, they possess your car.
    it would be hard for me to miss a payment. i make more than enough money to make the monthly payments, i have no other bills, and still have plenty of money left over for insurance and gas. i bring home around 600 a week and payments would be approx 400 a month.

spend your money on college. then when you get out you will have a better more high paying job then w/o it and then you can buy whatever car you want.
    my family doesnt have the money to send me to college and working this job i dont have enough time to go to college. i work at least 10 hours a day every day. i get up at 6, get home by 6 on average (sometimes we work later) and i have time to take a shower, relax for about an hour, eat dinner then go to bed again.

There will always be other cars. Maybe not exactly like this one. Maybe worse, maybe better. F#*k , I sound like Yoda!
    your right, but it still sucks because i love this car so much. i think part of the reason my dad doesnt want me to get it is because he has his heart set on me getting a GT500 when they come out. which brings me to another point, he's going to let me buy a 40-50,000 dollar car next year but this year i cant even get a cheaper car. if i got the camaro i prob wouldnt ever get the shelby anyways and if i did it prob wouldnt be for a long time and that would almost be fine with me (we dont need to get into how much better the new shelbies are than those old camaros...i already know lol)

The best way I advise on car ownership is to ask what will happen if the car is lost in an uninsured incident - act of god, theft whilst unlocked, trackday etc etc
    in my state insurance is required and on a car loan i will most likely have to have full coverage by order of the bank, making it nearly impossible for something like that to happen

yeah the price is really high. 3rd gen camaros in good shape always seem to go for a lot but even that is high. if i remember right its the second highest priced camaro on auto trader right now by about 1000 dollars and the only one that costs more is some crazy one of a kind special factory order. i was gonna try to talk some sense into this guy but i was willing to pay near the price if nessisary.

i know that all the points you guys made are very valid. but i think it kinda sucks that i work so hard every day and now that i want to reward myself i can't. and this is gonna sound stupid but its gonna suck when my kids ask me what my first car was and i have to tell em some beater. my dad had tons of mustangs and shelbies and stuff when he was my age..why cant i have a nice car too. and next year he's gonna let me buy a 50k car? thats a little rediculous if you ask me. oh and i have a very secure job and i am in the union so if i did ever happen to lose my job somehow they would find me another one, plus i have medical and dental insurance so getting hurt isnt too big of a worry either. i dunno its just gay that all my friends get to drive around sweet ass cars and i dont have shit. sure their parents bought some of them their cars (which is rediculous) but a couple of em have bought their own but i cant even buy my own...i have to just be a ride bummer or buy a shit box. do you guys have any idea how embarrassing it is to have to ride the bus all 4 years of high school cuz you don't have a car? specially when you live in an upper class town like i do. its not cool...and all i want is a nice car that i like and i'll feel good about paying for it myself but i can't.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

your right, but it still sucks because i love this car so much.
    The fact that you are here puts you in the dubious class of people who regard cars as something more than a means of transport. To many a car is a machine like a vacuum cleaner or can opener. To us idiots it is a materialistic psossesion that invokes unnatural feelings when the right one comes along. Why do car dealers set your ar5e in the seat and get you to test drive them so quick, sometimes even take them home overnight? Because so any of us fall in love. But you will no doubt meet many more in your life and you will fall in love with all of them.

i think part of the reason my dad doesnt want me to get it is because he has his heart set on me getting a GT500 when they come out. which brings me to another point, he's going to let me buy a 40-50,000 dollar car next year but this year i cant even get a cheaper car. if i got the camaro i prob wouldnt ever get the shelby anyways and if i did it prob wouldnt be for a long time and that would almost be fine with me (we dont need to get into how much better the new shelbies are than those old camaros...i already know lol).
    Our sympathy will be somewhat waning at this point.

i know that all the points you guys made are very valid. but i think it kinda sucks that i work so hard every day and now that i want to reward myself i can't. and this is gonna sound stupid but its gonna suck when my kids ask me what my first car was and i have to tell em some beater.
    Most people first car is, was or will be a beater.
    Your kids will still love you.

if you work that hard, then you should be willing to sacrifice some of the fun stuff you do for a while until you can afford the car

your dad is right, my dad wont let me get a loan for my first car, because then basically it teaches you that using money you dont have is ok, a house or something huge is different, but a $12,500 car is just not worth it

save your money, get some credit, go to college, then buy a car thats good

p.s. is that the BEST you could come up with for a car?

and you mean an old gt500 or a new one? either way they are ALOT more than $12,500
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    if you work that hard, then you should be willing to sacrifice some of the fun stuff you do for a while until you can afford the car

your dad is right, my dad wont let me get a loan for my first car, because then basically it teaches you that using money you dont have is ok, a house or something huge is different, but a $12,500 car is just not worth it

save your money, get some credit, go to college, then buy a car thats good

p.s. is that the BEST you could come up with for a car?

and you mean an old gt500 or a new one? either way they are ALOT more than $12,500

Still you'll probably keep saying you're thinking about a Modena for a first car.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Thread Information