View Poll Results: What would you rather drive?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Manual

54 87.10%
  • Automatic

8 12.90%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automatic or Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Yes, I'm not surprised the manual car was faster but I am surprised how close the auto car was for the 1/4 mile speed.
    As stated, it's running a diff ratio for better acceleration AND it's 100lbs lighter. Though in this case the extra 100lbs isnt' as significatn as it woudl be with other 'lighter' cars
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    As stated, it's running a diff ratio for better acceleration AND it's 100lbs lighter. Though in this case the extra 100lbs isnt' as significatn as it woudl be with other 'lighter' cars
    Good point... an extra 100 lbs would be more noticable in a 2,000-lb car than in a 4,000-lb car.
    (The manual car with 3.55:1 gears was geared for better acceleration than the auto car with its 3.23:1 gears.)
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Another round of Matra vs. Fleet?

I wouldn't know which I would like better since I haven't got my driver's license, but I voted manual since that's probablly going to be the transmission of my first car.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by GT F1
    Another round of Matra vs. Fleet?
    wally !!!

we've got some sharing going on - see how F recognised the weight differnce point ?

and Fleet spotted my deliberate mistake oops got the diff rates the wrong way rouind yep the 3.23 is a faster accelerating diff than the 3.55. torque works different ot speed

Stop personalising things in all areas.
    First rule of debating -- it all stops when the bell goes and the votes taken !!!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Manual for Q-Man all the way! car with out manual is just like a girl with out boobs!!! lol! and i cant have that!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroMan
    Manual for Q-Man all the way! car with out manual is just like a girl with out boobs!!! lol! and i cant have that!
    I don't dispute your girl analogy Tom, Taz likes boobies too. But the way things are going, it looks like "real" manual tranny cars will be replaced by the paddle shifted ones, not too far in the future.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

i find it easier to overtake in a manual than in auto and traffic is so easy in a manual when you're already rolling cause if you're in traffic moving slowly at like 20, the gearbox shifts up but then when you want to punch it round someone you have to wait for a kickdown, i find it easier in a manual cause you can leave it in second and then have all the punch you need
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Yeah, strangely they are very close in normal driving, but the auto is much lower during "test" conditions (which means mileage obtained while doing the dragging tests).
    if normal relates to EPA mileage, then there is nothing normal about that. I prefer test results, obtained over a longer tests by journalists, who may have done some measurements, but also tested the car in city driving and long distance motorways driving.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    if normal relates to EPA mileage, then there is nothing normal about that. I prefer test results, obtained over a longer tests by journalists, who may have done some measurements, but also tested the car in city driving and long distance motorways driving.
    No, neither the "test conditions" or "normal conditions" mileage was done by the EPA... the EPA didn't list mpg figures until around 1973 or 1974.
    It was mileage obtained by the test car drivers.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 09-10-2005 at 08:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    I don't dispute your girl analogy Tom, Taz likes boobies too. But the way things are going, it looks like "real" manual tranny cars will be replaced by the paddle shifted ones, not too far in the future.
    looks like you should buy a fleet of manuals and make a killing on the resale market or make a business that converts new smg cars to manuals
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

as i am currently learning to drive (legaly that is) in just manual tranny, i think from my 20 or so (documented) hours driving experiance that i will never buy an auto car.

manual tranny rocks. especialy when a P plated wanker is hanging on your ass up a hill. i stoped @ stop sign, put it in neutral then rolled back 1/2 a meter towards his bimmer. he gave me plenty of room after that. i dont think auto's can give that sort of amusement.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Autos can give amusement, too...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ever tried it in that black one in your avatar?
    The limo?
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    Ever tried it in that black one in your avatar?
    The limo?
    Oh yes.
    On some types of streets, the limo can burn rubber from a standing start. It has kind of surprised me a few times.

And the '69 Fleetwood can easily light the tires. Even from a roll. I asked a friend to takes some pics, but he took the first one too soon and the second one too late:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information