Thread: Dodge Diplomat

New Jersey where the weak are killed and eaten

Question Dodge Diplomat

Hey I was wondering if anyone here ever had a Dodge Diplomat or other M-Body (ie. Chrysler Fifth Ave, Plymoth Voltare, DOdge Coronet) how do you like these finely built american automobiles.

P.S. I HATE RICERS

Unfortunately these were the cars that started Chrysler into their downward spiral. I had an '85 Fifth Ave, still carbuerated when its competition - Ford Crown Victoria and Chevy Impala - were already fuel injected, no big deal right? WRONG !! .... it was carbeurated but with this notoriously unreliable "Lean Burn" fuel management module.
    Here's a short list of what was bad about these cars:
    1. Performance ... the cars were too heavy, the engines were fitted with 3 catalytic converters - 1 on each manifold and 1 before the resonator - all to hit emission standards that would easily have been met with fuel injection and a proper engine management control module. Fuel economy also suffered badly.
    2. Suspension .... soft wallowing ride, kinda like trying to corner a waterbed, this was due to the transverse torsion bars as oppossed to the longitudal ones used in the '70's B-body cars (Cordobas, Chargers, Coronets, etc)
    3. Power Steering .... I honestly don't believe that any manufacturer has created a power steering unit that overboosted driver input quite like these cars, zero road feel
    4. Plastic Chrome .... chrome is nice, these cars had some horrible adhesive chrome trimmings that peeled leaving cheap looking gray plastic.
    5. Plush Interior .... you could practically bury the tilt steering into the padded seats, interior door handles that looked like they were taken from suitcases quite often broke, and too much use of the A/C would make the headliner adhesive let go giving you a canopy effect.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    Unfortunately these were the cars that started Chrysler into their downward spiral. I had an '85 Fifth Ave, still carbuerated when its competition - Ford Crown Victoria and Chevy Impala - were already fuel injected, no big deal right? WRONG !! .... it was carbeurated but with this notoriously unreliable "Lean Burn" fuel management module.
    Here's a short list of what was bad about these cars:
    1. Performance ... the cars were too heavy, the engines were fitted with 3 catalytic converters - 1 on each manifold and 1 before the resonator - all to hit emission standards that would easily have been met with fuel injection and a proper engine management control module. Fuel economy also suffered badly.
    2. Suspension .... soft wallowing ride, kinda like trying to corner a waterbed, this was due to the transverse torsion bars as oppossed to the longitudal ones used in the '70's B-body cars (Cordobas, Chargers, Coronets, etc)
    3. Power Steering .... I honestly don't believe that any manufacturer has created a power steering unit that overboosted driver input quite like these cars, zero road feel
    4. Plastic Chrome .... chrome is nice, these cars had some horrible adhesive chrome trimmings that peeled leaving cheap looking gray plastic.
    5. Plush Interior .... you could practically bury the tilt steering into the padded seats, interior door handles that looked like they were taken from suitcases quite often broke, and too much use of the A/C would make the headliner adhesive let go giving you a canopy effect.
    number 5 is so right on the money lol
    RUBBINS RACING!

Thread Information