Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DeTomaso Pantera

great car indeed, muscle car. This character is not usual nowadays,,,

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Porsche ´77
    now that we´re talking about De Tomaso, I´ve a doubt. Has anyone seen Kill Bill part two??? the car that david carradine drove was a de tomaso mangusta????
    Indeed it was...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

I see this one around town every so often. Only got one chance to snap a picture of it. Boy are they loud.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

OUCH. Anothe example of beautiful lines destroyed by the need to conform to US bumper size and position laws
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Great cars!!!!!

Panteras were sold in the US and elsewhere from 1971-1974. Those are the "pre-L", "L" and "GTS" (S as in Sun, it can be hard to read the difference) cars. There were about "Group 4" race cars made in Italy (many cars are now clones of this model). After that, Panteras were sold in limited quantities out of Italy for the next decade or so with primarily the "GT5" (5 as in five) model. In the US, sales resumed though for less than 100 units of the "GT5-S" model in the mid-80s. Then the final Pantera model was built, again less than 100 units, the "Pantera 200" or Pantera "si".

These are pics, in order, of pretty stock "pre-L", "Group 4", "GT5" (5 as in five) and "GTS" (S as in Sun -- with a chromed version of the stock wheels) models.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by icantdrive55; 03-26-2005 at 07:51 PM.

Here are the "GT5-S" (with aftermarket wheels) and Pantera 200 (or Si) targa.
    Last edited by icantdrive55; 03-26-2005 at 07:52 PM.

And here are some excellent modded Panteras.

And finally, why not a look at a few of the big, mean, nasty engines that a lot of guys put in Panteras.

does anyone know how many pantera gt-5's were made throughout its time...i think it was from 1971-1989 then the new pantera started production?

Quote Originally Posted by thinker
    does anyone know how many pantera gt-5's were made throughout its time...i think it was from 1971-1989 then the new pantera started production?
    The GT5 started being produced in 1980, and then ran through about 1989 or 1990 (not definite on their demise). I'm guessing several hundred were made.

Quote Originally Posted by icantdrive55
    The GT5 started being produced in 1980, and then ran through about 1989 or 1990 (not definite on their demise). I'm guessing several hundred were made.
    It might have been more than several hundred because if this is true then only a hundred or so were built every year (considering that production went on for 9 years). On top of that, i dont think they sold for that much money. They wouldve sold for a pretty high price if only a hundred were made per year.

thats not true

Quote Originally Posted by Scribble
    thats not true
    you could be right, since i was just speculating

Quote Originally Posted by thinker
    It might have been more than several hundred because if this is true then only a hundred or so were built every year (considering that production went on for 9 years). On top of that, i dont think they sold for that much money. They wouldve sold for a pretty high price if only a hundred were made per year.
    I think we are all guessing, as the production figures have never really been clear. But what I do know is that production was highest in the early 70s, and once the US market dried up, the production slowed to a crawl. So I think the "several hundred per year" for the GT5 is accurate (or maybe it was only 100 or so per year???). If I am wrong, and 500 per year were made, that means 4500 over 9 years, which seems impossible since apparently only 7000 or so Panteras were made total, with the majority made in '71-'74.

Nice!

Thread Information