Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Micheal Park Crash Pics

Tragic day for the WRC. Of course our thoughts are with Michael Park's family.
    The last death of a front line driver or co-driver in WRC was in the 1993 Rally of Australia (maybe there have been drivers/co-drivers towards the rear of the field who died - I don't remember). Possum Borne's Subaru went off the road into some solid trees and co-driver Roger Freeth was killed instantly. There were a lot of similarities in that crash with this one. Unfortunately, trees don't move, and the roll cage and side structure of a rally car can only be so strong. After Freeth was killed, Bourne decided to keep driving - declaring that it was what Freeth would want him to do. He returned to competition in the very next round of the Asia-Pacific championship which he was leading at the time of the accident. Bourne went on to win the 1993 Asia-Pacific series and dedicated his victory to Freeth.
    It is too soon to know, but maybe Martin will decide to keep driving. It's probably what Park would want him to do. Certainly, while Martin will understandably feel quilty, it was just an accident.
    It is unfortunate that Bourne is no longer with us following a tragic road accident in 2003 - he would probably have been the best person to help Martin though the aftermath.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Mustang, I've not seen any reports yet.

Do you have any info that there were no marshals ?

)

matra matra i thought after all your time in rallying you would know that marshals generally wear either orange or yellow flurescent bibs and yet on those pics even when the emergence cars are there no bibs and i dont think that any marshals that were there would go " ride chaps bibs off before we do anything" so you...
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

If you watch the video youll see that Duval should of got a schlap afer he got in, there were people standing on the side of the road for a good 200 meters before the crash and he hardly slowed down when he got there he nearly hit the mitsu of Harri Rovenperra

Here is the video

http://zone.ee/wrc05/beef-inmemorian-k2-zone.avi

and here are the english subtitles for the Estonian parts

http://www.hot.ee/martinkivi/beef-in...an-k2-zone.sub
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    matra matra i thought after all your time in rallying you would know that marshals generally wear either orange or yellow flurescent bibs and yet on those pics even when the emergence cars are there no bibs and i dont think that any marshals that were there would go " ride chaps bibs off before we do anything" so you...
    ahem, and why would the first shots show ANY marshals if they were already positioned EARLIER on the stage as they SHOUDL BE
    AND by the time the course cars are there the marshals should be away from it as they don't have a role anymore.
    HENCE why I asked
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

ok mthen check the video posted above, there are videos of when the oug hits, when a mitsu arrives and when a citroen arrives, thats a good 4 min interval, you telling me that there souldnt of been a marshal in one of those pics ?

The really worrying thing is that i was due to be marshaling on one of the margam stages this year think it was stage 1 not 2 though...

ok that video posted doesnt show how much of a wanker duval really is rovenperra was THE only person IMO who did anything to help on the incident

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    ok mthen check the video posted above, there are videos of when the oug hits, when a mitsu arrives and when a citroen arrives, thats a good 4 min interval, you telling me that there souldnt of been a marshal in one of those pics ?

The really worrying thing is that i was due to be marshaling on one of the margam stages this year think it was stage 1 not 2 though...
    In the PICS for sure I can picture where marshals SHOULD be for that incident. and none fo them are necessily near the car at that time.

But you mention the vid which gives extra information .........

hey that's cheating, your comments were based on that you DID have more informatino that I was sayign we needed to wait for before making assumptions.

I'm off to watch the "witheld evidence"
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

lol i only downloaded it this morning as i was posting the pic so technically i did post it before i had the information so i guess i was rite

On most top level rallies these days they have devices in the car that as soon as an accident has occured the driver/co-driver hits a ralitrak button in the car that sends a GPS signal and alerts people back at HQ that there is a problem and scrambles relevant medical crews/Doctors and Air Ambulance with the precise map reference point of where the incident has occured

now your the kind of new member we like

Nope, no marshalls there... Only spectators.

Judging by the tire marks there, seems like Markko hit the apex too early and too quick
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

do they still not wear a HANS in WRC? i know it wouldnt have helped in a side-on collision, just curious...

a driver and navigator were killed on a national rallye here in Oregon on the first stage when their car hit a tree head on (as far as i know) on the first stage.

they made hans manditory at the beginning of this year

What I DID notice is that neither of them chose to have seats with wings thus relying on the HANS only to limit head movement.

Sadly I'm still of the opinion from the damage that no amount of restraint would have helped or stronger car. It needed something to absorb the energy and slow the contents down more smoothly over a longer period of time

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    What I DID notice is that neither of them chose to have seats with wings thus relying on the HANS only to limit head movement.

Sadly I'm still of the opinion from the damage that no amount of restraint would have helped or stronger car. It needed something to absorb the energy and slow the contents down more smoothly over a longer period of time

I totally agree, hitting that tree at that angle is just impossible, only if they put something between the tree and the road, but then there's so many trees in those stages... :|
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Thread Information