Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Focus Coupe (2009)

Ford Focus Coupe (2009)

SPORTY NEW LOOK FOR 2009 FORD FOCUS COUPE TO DEBUT ON WEDNESDAY ‘AMERICAN IDOL’ EPISODE

The 2009 Focus coupe is set to debut on “American Idol” on Fox on Wednesday.
    Sporty updates inspired by customer feedback, including new front and rear fascias, a new roof-line spoiler and standard 17-inch aluminum wheels on the SES series, enhance the car’s profile and further differentiate the Focus coupe from the sedan.
    Performance improvements include increased horsepower on 5-speed manual versions and quicker acceleration, thanks to a new final drive ratio on models with four-speed automatic transmissions – without any compromise to Focus’ 35-miles-per-gallon fuel economy rating.
    Focus posted an 88 percent increase in retail sales in April versus a year ago.
    DEARBORN, Mich., May 13, 2008 – The hot-selling Ford Focus debuts a new coupe version for the 2009 model year Wednesday on American’s hottest television show – “American Idol.” This marks the first time Ford has ever revealed a new product on prime time television.

“Focus is the little car that delivers in a big way for customers, with 35 mpg fuel economy, cool features including SYNC, a fun drive, strong quality and the right price,” said John Felice, Ford Division group marketing manager. “We’ve built on those strengths to deliver an even sportier coupe version for 2009 and thought the ‘American Idol’ debut would be a new way for customers to see the upgrades for themselves.”

The new Focus coupe can be seen for the first time during the Wednesday broadcast of “American Idol” on FOX, which airs at 9 p.m. EST.

The Focus coupe will be part of the “American Idol” Ford Video featuring this season’s remaining contestants. Episodes of American Idol typically draws an audience of more than 20 million viewers. The 45-second music video also will be featured on the “American Idol” Web site at American Idol: Official FOX Site under the Ford Music Video page.

Sportier Design
    Focus retail sales were up 88 percent in April versus the prior year, and a growing number of younger customers have been buying the new Focus model that was launched in late 2007.

“We’ve spent a lot of time talking with small-car customers and Focus enthusiasts,” said Sam De La Garza, Focus marketing manager. “Their overwhelming feedback was that a sportier exterior design could attract even more Millennials, or those people born between 1980 and 1995 – 11,000 of whom reach driving age every day in the U.S.”

With that in mind, the Focus team sculpted the coupe’s new front and rear fascias to provide a sportier appearance. The lower front fascia incorporates a larger open area that bares a strong resemblance to the acclaimed design of the new global Ford Fiesta subcompact. The fog lamps – now standard – are better integrated into the overall design of the front fascia, and its signature two-bar chrome front grille and chrome accents around the headlamps have been darkened for added differentiation.

“The new coupe looks really sporty,” said Thomas Tang, co-founder of Ford Focus Forums, News, Articles, Message Board Discussions and Ford Focus owner. “It is great to see that Ford values our feedback and is willing to make quick changes.”

“The new front fascia, 17-inch sport wheels and fog lamps remind me of the old Focus SVT models,” Tang added.

For differentiation, the high-end Focus SES will feature a standard high-mounted spoiler that is incorporated into the design of the roof. The high-mounted design contributes to Focus’ overall muscular stance. A decklid spoiler will remain part of the Focus SE exterior design.

New premium-painted Dark Chrome 17-inch aluminum wheels, also standard on SES, complete the coupe’s redesigned exterior.

Sounds ‘Bad’ and Goes Faster -- With More Control
    The 2009 Focus SES coupe features more horsepower and a throatier sound, thanks to a new sport-tuned exhaust. The SES coupe with a four-speed automatic transmission will have a new 4.2 final drive ratio to deliver quicker off-the-line acceleration for a faster 0-60 mph time.

A new option for 2009 is electronic stability control (ESC), which uses sophisticated sensors and the anti-lock braking system to help correct skids that can lead to accidents.

Fuel-efficient Powertrains
    The 2009 Focus Coupe is equipped with a 2.0-liter, Duratec 20 dual-overhead-cam (DOHC), inline 4-cylinder engine that delivers 143 horsepower when mated to a five-speed manual transmission and 140 horsepower when paired with a four-speed automatic transmission.

Also available is a super-clean, 130-horsepower Duratec 20E engine that qualifies Focus as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV). The 20E’s tailpipe emissions are cleaner than some hybrid gas-electric vehicles’. The Duratec 20 and 20E in Focus Coupe are mated to a five-speed manual transmission and achieve EPA-estimated fuel economy of 35 mpg.

SYNC Standard on Focus SES
    Also setting the Focus coupe apart from other small cars is Ford’s industry-exclusive SYNC technology, which will be standard equipment on the SES series and optional on the SE. SYNC is a fully integrated in-vehicle, voice-activated communications and entertainment system for customers to use their Bluetooth cell phones and digital media players.

SYNC was first introduced on the 2008 Focus and was an immediate hit with customers, helping to increase Focus’ share in an extremely competitive small-car market. Nearly 50 percent of the 2008 model year Focus units sold during April included SYNC. SYNC-equipped vehicles sell nearly twice as fast as those without.

SYNC also was a feature that helped motivate editors of Kelley Blue Book’s kbb.com to name the 2008 Ford Focus one of the “Top Ten Coolest New Cars Under $18,000” in April.

The 2009 Focus Coupe, available later this summer, will have an MSRP that starts at $15,920. All Focus models are built at the Wayne (Mich.) Assembly Plant.

About Ford Motor Company
    Ford Motor Company, a global automotive industry leader based in Dearborn, Mich., manufactures or distributes automobiles in 200 markets across six continents. With about 244,000 employees and about 90 plants worldwide, the company’s core and affiliated automotive brands include Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Volvo, Mazda, and until completion of their sale, Jaguar Land Rover. The company provides financial services through Ford Motor Credit Company. For more information regarding Ford’s products, please visit Ford Motor Company: Cars, Trucks, SUVs, Hybrids, Parts - Ford.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

Ford Focus Coupe (2009) #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am easily satisfied with the very best.

"It is a very good looking car, If you have cataract" - JC about the Alpine A610

To be perfectly honest, i really dislike what they've done to the focus in America.

Making it's debut on 'American Idol' is probably a good way to sell it...but i wouldn't bother.

lastly, i love it how they are advertising additional items that could increase the chances of crashing...even with 35mpg, it ain't gonna go far if you just drove it off the road.
    May the downforce be with you

I don't find a single appealing feature in this car.
    In other words, I find it disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Gt1Street View Post
    ... five-speed manual transmission ...four-speed automatic transmission...
    Aren't they normally things that car makers hope people don't find out about nowadays?

the rear end is illegal.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Put simply, yank-Foci suck.
    I don't get why the Euro-Focus isn't shared in the US-Market, it's so much better looking for a start, and 35mpg is pretty piss-poor for a modern 'family hatch' (or coupe in this case). My 323 manages about 37mpg and that's from a 14.5yr old car. If Ford wants to start making money again I'd say that bringing some of the Euro models in would get the ball rolling, cars such as the new Mondeo, S-Max and Euro-Focus for example.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    the rear end is illegal.
    How?
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Give the Yanks the Euro-Focus for god's sake, so i don't have to see pictures of this abomination. They want it as well, judging by the general concensus.

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    How?
    I think he means it's "criminal".

It doesn't deserve the name Focus.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    I think he means it's "criminal".
    thanks for the explanation...
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Ah right, haha, got it now. Wholly agreed
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Actually without taking into account the mechanicals I don't think it is that bad.

Minus the rear spoiler that is. It's awful.

And apparently it's doing quite well in the US...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    This is the new WRX right?
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

ahh gotta love how ford give their worst cars to themselves in their own country and their best cars to us europeans

Man it's kind of ugly. The rear as a whole reminds me of a Chevy Malibu Maxx. That's never a good thing.

Thread Information