Quote Originally Posted by nota
I don't pretend to be an electrician. However I thought it common knowledge that various automotive electrical components (inc. coil, trigger sensor, ECU etc) can incur damage simply via disconnecting a plug lead while the ignition is on, thus inducing an open circuit. Damage may not immediately manifest and there are many webmentions of this, so I'm suprised you apparently consider the above false and recommend it be done
plenty of webmentions that GWB was right about WMDs too
A spark plug is 95% of the time an open circuit with the spark releasing the energy stored in the secondary circuit. If it isn't released then the primary circuit does undergo slightly higher stress and the heat can build up. BUT you'd need to run for a long long time.
Got any sites referencing the 'damage' ? It may be a manufacturer specific problem if they had a bad ECU design .....
Ok fine but it's fair to say that you have no idea if he (or any neophyte reading your post) has a weak heart, or is a person more susceptible to shock.
You've STILL got an inflated idea of the risk from my description
But as I'd said, yes in future I'll put lots of caveats and warn not to rest aluminimum ladders on electricity wires or drink paint or ..... all the other things the litignous society has done for the "brainless"
And it's entirely likely he/they wouldn't know either. Or of what they were doing underhood. I've gotten a few zaps too but am not one to induce strangers to expose themselves to unnecessary risk nor can I see why it is inappropriate to warn of it
The first spark teaches you fast.
Plugs are NOT like "normal electricity" because it is a very short discharge then the muscle spasm induced relaxes and the grip is lessened on the lead and you dont' get belted. Again, there is LOTS of confusion about the risks of electricity and whilst a continuous current will induce a muscle spasm whcih often TIGHTENS grip and ultimately leads to death, that doesn't happen with a spark.
You're right; people shouldn't be scared of working on their cars. But they should also employ prudence, be aware & informed. So I don't promote bad practice or risky behaviour. This includes to lie under a jacked car, skol used motor oil or even sticking their dick (or any other appendage) into a high voltage automotive electrical system .. shock horror ..
"skol" motor oil ? Do you know that SKIN CONTACT of used motor oil is CARCINOGENIC and is now considered sufficiently toxic that it is handled as a hazardous waste. You dont' need to drink it to get cancer
"risky behaviour" is a relative term. I consider you ahve gone to an extreme but respect your right to do so. But lets not over-inflate it either for others who may not be so risk-averse