Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Button to race for BAR-Honda in '06 (unofficial)

Button to race for BAR-Honda in '06 (unofficial)

Reports are emerging that a multi-squillion dollar deal has been struck between BAR and WilliamsF1 that will allow Button to wriggle out of his contract with Williams.

This is by no means official yet but it seems that Button has finally got his way. Sir Frank Williams is notorious for playing hard-ball with matters of contracts and he had seemed adamant that he was determined to keep hold of Button's contract. Though the rumour has been recently that this was just a public show to try to squeeze as much compensation from Button/BAR as possible, and I've no doubt it has worked a treat. I doubt we'll ever know the exact figure paid by BAR but it will probably have been enough to compensate for any loss in sponsorship that will result from the loss of Button. A figure that has been thrown around in the press is £25million. I'm sure Williams know as well as anyone that at the moment the priority for the team is not getting in a very highly paid driver, the priority MUST be on improving the woefully underperforming cars of this season.

Now of course the F1 driver market can get into full swing. The big question now hangs over who will be driving the Cosworth powered Williams cars for next year. Mark Webber has a contract for next year but there are rumours that Flavio Briatore is willing to do a swap deal with Renault's Giancarlo Fisichella. Nick Heidfeld has been confirmed for BMW next season so there is a spare seat going. The hot favourites are Pizzonia (due to race at Interlagos next week, and will be looking to impress at his home GP) and Williams youngster Nico Rosberg, currently starring in the GP2 series.

This means that Takuma Sato is almost certainly out of a race seat for 2006. He will most likely take Anthony Davidson's test seat at BAR, with Davidson switching to Midland/Jordan.

Provisional F1 driver line-ups for '06:

Ferrari - M. Schumacher, F. Massa

McLaren - K. Raikkonen, J.P. Montoya

Renault - F. Alonso, G. Fisichella/M. Webber

Toyota - J Trulli, R. Schumacher

BAR-Honda - J. Button, R. Barrichello

Williams-Cosworth - G. Fisichella/M. Webber?, A. Pizzonia/N. Rosberg

Red Bull - D. Coulthard, C. Klien

BMW-Sauber - N. Heidfeld, J Villeneuve? ( )

Midland - A. Davidson, Karthikeyan/Monteiro/other???

Red Bull2/Minardi - V. Liuzzi, S. Speed
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

correction:

Renault - F. Alonso, G. Fisichella

Williams-Cosworth - M. Webber, A.Davidson

BMW - N. Heidfeld, J Villeneuve

Albers has signed with Jordan.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    correction:

Renault - F. Alonso, G. Fisichella

Williams-Cosworth - M. Webber, A.Davidson

BMW - N. Heidfeld, J Villeneuve

You missed out Midland.

Davidson has been testing with Jordan/Midland with a view to a race seat next season, that's why I put him there in my list. Also, Pizzonia was VERY close to getting the drive this year ahead of Heidfeld, so I'd put him as favourite for the Williams seat next year. Nothing confirmed of course.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    Albers has signed with Jordan.
    Has that actually been confirmed? I'd heard rumours that they were in talks on various F1 message boards etc, but nothing official. Has it been in the Dutch press?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

If Scott Speed is racing with Red Bull 2 I am PUMPED! I finally have an American I can root for!!!

its officially button racing for honda, he said it himself that he rather have rubens then mark as a teamate

i think i heard somwhere that BMW wanted to start making everythin on their own ..

i mean the car the team and the engine
    IS that true?? and what year will that happen??

Quote Originally Posted by white devil
    i think i heard somwhere that BMW wanted to start making everythin on their own ..

i mean the car the team and the engine
    IS that true?? and what year will that happen??
    BMW have bought the Sauber F1 team. That team will officially become the full BMW works team as of the end of this season. Nick Heidfeld will be the #1 driver in 2006, with possibly former champ Jacques Villeneuve being retained to partner him for the upcoming season.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    BMW have bought the Sauber F1 team. That team will officially become the full BMW works team as of the end of this season. Nick Heidfeld will be the #1 driver in 2006, with possibly former champ Jacques Villeneuve being retained to partner him for the upcoming season.
    THX MAN
    I LOVE BMW machines and i beleive this will make F1 more intresting and we all know BMW is more than capable to be the #1 in F1 so this will make the season verry intresting
    but i also beleive that it might be hard couple of seasons since its gona be new to BMw but still they will be better than this season hopfuly

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    If Scott Speed is racing with Red Bull 2 I am PUMPED! I finally have an American I can root for!!!
    you forgot Steve Warson
    BMW engaged Villeneuve that's not possible...a too big team for him...

Awesome! Button and Barrichello (an old fav. of mine ... not sure why ... I guess it's his attitude - I just like the guy.

That means for the first time in ages I'll have a team that I really want to follow the progress of.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

JB has agreed to pay Williams £18million in order to stay at BAR.

Williams are relieved because that goes towards paying for an engine next year, and they don't have to pay out for Button's high wage expectations.

They can get some talentless waster on the cheap instead. Jaques Villeneuve?

Chances of BMW allowing that twerp to drive for them = 0%
    Thanks for all the fish

Well we all knew it was gonna happen, but for what it's worth everything has now been made official.

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamsF1
    WilliamsF1 today confirmed that it had reached an agreement with Jenson Button to release him from his contractual commitment to the team for 2006 and beyond.

As consideration for the release from the terms of his contract, Jenson has agreed a financial settlement with WilliamsF1.

Button acknowledged the binding terms of his contract with WilliamsF1 and appreciated the efforts that had been made to find a resolution. He said, "I would like to thank Frank for accommodating a compromise to what was a binding contract and I regret the difficulties my decision has caused everyone involved."

Frank Williams wished Jenson well in the future and said, "I am glad that we have brought this matter to a conclusion and we can return to what we do best -- racing."
    And Button's statement on the issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Button
    I'm obviously delighted to confirm that I will be staying with BAR Honda for the next few years. Since I joined the team in 2003 we've shared some important moments in my career and the team's history. There are many more goals for us to achieve together -- not least of all winning the World Championship. I want to be at BAR Honda to see that happen -- and I believe that it will happen.
    Barrichello and Button seems a pretty darned strong driver line up to me, definitely plenty of race winning potential there. Possibly worth a punt as an outside bet for the WCC in '06?
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Yay button! wonder if he will manage to do any better then ?
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Thread Information