Thread: Gilles Panizzi to rally for Mitsubishi with Evo WRC in Japan

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally

Gilles Panizzi to rally for Mitsubishi with Evo WRC in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by MMSPM
    Trebur, Germany - The Mitsubishi Motors Motor Sports WRC Team now heads home, to Japan, for its most important round of the 2005 FIA World Rally Championship season. Rally Japan (September 29-October 2) is the only Asian event in the series and the team will be fielding a three-car entry for the first time this season, underlining the significance it places on the event. Harri Rovanperä/Risto Pietiläinen and Gilles Panizzi/Hervé Panizzi will pilot the two registered Mitsubishi Lancer WRC05s, while "Gigi" Galli/Guido d'Amore will compete in a third factory-run car. The event is also the penultimate round of the FIA Production Car World Rally Championship and a host of Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution drivers will be vying for both PWRC and overall Group N honors.

Gilles Panizzi will be competing for the first time in Rally Japan, although the Frenchman is a well-known character on Japanese soil after promotional trips to the country. He and brother Hervé will be looking to put on a great show for their fans and hope to secure a top result for Mitsubishi in their first competitive outing with the team since the Cyprus Rally in May.

"I will do the maximum for sure, like always," said Gilles. "I know very little about Rally Japan so I will discover the region for the first time and hope to be able to make good pace notes and have a nice feeling with the car. My last time driving on gravel was in Cyprus, but I am very happy to be back with the team for its home event. My feeling about Japan is good; I have been twice to Tokyo, which was fantastic, and there is a very nice relationship with the people. I am looking forward to going back."

The Mitsubishi Motors Motor Sports WRC Team is also fielding a third Lancer WRC05 for rising star Gigi Galli. The Italian will also be making a debut outing in Rally Japan, but has already demonstrated this year that he is capable of judging the pace and securing a measured result for the team on events where he has never previously competed.

"My strategy for Japan is the same as it has been all year; to gain experience and understanding of the conditions," said Gigi. "If we can make a nice result at the same time, then that is very good, especially as it is the home event for Mitsubishi."

Commenting on the challenge of Rally Japan, Yasuo Tanaka, the team's Technical Director, said: "We confirmed some good performance during Rally GB and for Japan we will have some improvements with the center differential. Hopefully we can look forward to a good result for Rally Japan."

This year's Rally Japan kicks off on Thursday September 29 with a ceremonial start in Central Obihiro, where tens of thousands of fans are once again anticipated to cheer on their heroes. The opening leg of competition, on Friday, however, is when the real action begins and it will be no easy first day for the 90 entrants. The route takes the crews north of the town of Rikubetsu and is notable for its two runs over the ultra-long Kunneywa-Niueo forestry stage, as well as two runs through one of the shortest stages, the 2.73 kilometer spectator stage which uses part of the Rikubetsu Circuit. In total, the leg takes in nine stages and 163.26 competitive kilometers. The second leg, centered on the town of Ashoro, is shorter but still covers 12 stages, none of which is longer than 16.25 kilometers. Sunday's shortest leg, near Shintoku and to the north-west of Obihiro, takes in five stages and 85.94 competitive kilometers, again based around the central service area at Kita Aikoku, before the finish back in Obihiro at 15:00 hrs (local). In total, the 2005 Rally Japan covers 26 stages and 350.18 competitive kilometers in a total distance of 1,614.84 kilometers.
    Panizzi has been a proven winner on tarmac but quite ordinary off-road, from what we've seen recently. We'll just have to see how he does in his fourth race of the season and his third gravel challenge this year.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Panizzi has been a proven winner on tarmac but quite ordinary off-road, from what we've seen recently. We'll just have to see how he does in his fourth race of the season and his third gravel challenge this year.

You're right. But he is one of the maddest rally drivers still in action. So I wish him the best of lucks. Rallying needs more crazy drivers like him.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    You're right. But he is one of the maddest rally drivers still in action. So I wish him the best of lucks. Rallying needs more crazy drivers like him.
    Ha so true. People like him make rallying humourous and interesting. I wonder if he'll do a 2 second wheelspin if he's in the lead (remember rallye Catalunya '02?)

I'll be like him if I make it to WRC so vote for me

he has had his time, he is incapable of keeping up with the top 10 now. He will be lucky to beat 15th. Best of luck to him though, nice to see familiar faces.

That is such bull shit and you know it, Gilles Panizzi is one of the fastest drivers today if he would only be giving room to open the damn throttle. Jesus, every team he has been on he has been patronized by THEIR problems! If you don't believe me then take a look at last year when he was running for the new mitsu bitches, he was captain, had a good outing in their piece of shit car and what does he get for it? A third driver seat behind one of the most arrogant and annoying drivers in the wrc to date, GIGI GALLI. I'm sure once gigi matures a little more he will be a great driver, but as of now gilles is so much more experienced and just more loveable, and I don't understand how anyone can not like him. He is usually always in the top 10 unless its for mechanical reasons, and he has a style that no one else can master on any surface, he brakes late and is on the gas before anyone else. So don't put the flying frenchman down just because of the manufacturers short comings, gilles is awesome.
    Taking in donations for a Lancia Delta Integrale, please be considerate of a fellow forum member....:)

He was never a top 5 driver on gravel stages. He's good anyway. Better than many of the current top drivers.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Hmn , if I understood , we're gonna see him making faces in action again
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was going to respond to Rik but EE took it right out of my mouth. One thing though, I'm not so sure it was the manufacturers "shortcomings" so much as they were testing their new car. It had to be done sometime or another and Panizzi would have been an ideal choice. It's because of him they're here though, so I agree with the rest. They don't respect him enough. And how is Galli arrogant? If you want to see an arrogant driver go to Duval, Galli has been setting a good pace the whole year and is getting satisfactory results in the events he hasn't ever done before.

Arrogancy goes hand in hand with being immature, and the most immature person in rallying has to be the one that punches the co-driver over wrong notes. There have only been 2, to my knowledge, to actually take that type of route, GiGi Galli, and Deloucor (excuse my typing, I dont remember his full name). Francois is young also, he is getting more mature and less big headed. Last year was amazing for him, and I'm glad he got out of ford. Making him stop when he was well ahead of markko.
    Taking in donations for a Lancia Delta Integrale, please be considerate of a fellow forum member....:)

Thread Information