Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarkson explains some differences between the USA and Europe

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Us Americans have a little thing we like to call Helicopters. When our police cruisers cant catch them we throw a chop up in the air to get them stopped.
    and to get the camera teams on board for real life action shots
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Us Americans have a little thing we like to call Helicopters. When our police cruisers cant catch them we throw a chop up in the air to get them stopped.
    I've never seen an example of the helicopter actually "stopping" a pursuit though.

They just follow the car.

I have seen UK helicopter police landing and getting out to arrest car thieves.
    Thanks for all the fish

This might be off topic but I was thinking about buying a Camaro Z28 between the model years of 1998-2001 when I turn 21. I have been told Camaros are reliable when maintained. Plus, I want a car that is fast and has a great V8 rumble. The car that I have, which is a W123 230E eats the same amount of gas as the camaro and is nowhere near as fast... What do you guys think? Should I buy a Camaro?

well in the end you can say this you can take a european car into america and it will do fine, but the other way round it doesnt work aswell.

that shouldnt be the case why should american car companies make cars that cant handle if they dont need to why not put in the extra effort and make the cars quality and not just quantity?
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    that shouldnt be the case why should american car companies make cars that cant handle if they dont need to why not put in the extra effort and make the cars quality and not just quantity?
    price ?

Best to ask Ford who have for decades made dumbed-down versions of the European cars for sale in the US. Usually one behind on chassis/suspension/engine. Crazy !!!! Of course some think they're the same and judge the Ford ROW small cars based on these !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I've never seen an example of the helicopter actually "stopping" a pursuit though.

They dont really stop the crooks themselves, they follow it so they know its location and can tell the officers on the ground where they are going. Without them its alot more likely the thieves would escape, with them its very very more likely they will get cought. You cant get away from a helicopter, especially these days with technology. Night vision, heat vision etc....
    You can call me scott.

well in the end you can say this you can take a european car into america and it will do fine, but the other way round it doesnt work aswell.

I think its b/c Ford as a whole has trouble knowing what people in foreign countries want. They focus on americans their biggest market and know how to do that, but overseas they have trouble. maybe they are a bit slow, i dunno. But anyways this may be why they created Ford in england that is run by different people. This way those people will know what people in europe want and they create euro spec cars that the people there like.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    I think its b/c Ford as a whole has trouble knowing what people in foreign countries want. They focus on americans their biggest market and know how to do that, but overseas they have trouble. maybe they are a bit slow, i dunno. But anyways this may be why they created Ford in england that is run by different people. This way those people will know what people in europe want and they create euro spec cars that the people there like.
    and those are the cars that Americans get to see watered down versions of, one generation later
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z
    The European platform and technology turns up in the US version anything from 2 to 5 years LATER.

Overseas Ford has NO trouble knowing what the buying public wants as they regularly are in the top 5 in all European nations
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks

In NFS HPII they drop bombs.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

My mates was chased by helicopter once and then had the great idea of runnin into a field of cows and jumpin under one (went away pretty quik) . I just paced it down the soddin road.

were clever round here.
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

well america shoould make cars as if they were gona go to europe but then sell them in america then theyll still do fine

i should be there head director id rule ud all be driving kl cars by now that drive well
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

well america shoould make cars as if they were gona go to europe but then sell them in america then theyll still do fine

i should be there head director id rule ud all be driving kl cars by now that drive well
    No, they won't do fine. I believe it was Matra who once said, 'American cars are better on American roads; European cars are better on European roads.'

If Ford and GM started making cars for Europe, the most important thing that would happen would be a downsize of the car. While I would prefer it, myself, they wouldn't sell. Why do you think there are cars like the Suburban and Excursion, anyway?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by Esperante
    No, they won't do fine. I believe it was Matra who once said, 'American cars are better on American roads; European cars are better on European roads.'
    I dunno, I could happily cruise this stretch in a Viper or Corvette.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

You know what's really funny? Jeremy Clarkson would be speaking German if it wasn't for America. THAT'S F#$KING HILARIOUS!
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Thread Information