Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: McLaren F1 LM 1995-1996

Quote Originally Posted by islero
    peloton, Do you have any document that has all the chassis numbers of all the cars? Can you please post that? After seeing the F1 GT and this LM thread, I really want to learn more about each and ever F1 built.
    There is a poster included with Driving Ambition that outlines the complete chassis history of the F1s. If you are interested in learning a lot about the cars, I would highly recommend picking up that book. It's a spectacular read.

Here's a shot of the backside of the poster.

Across the top, you can see it has the F1 Chassis History. It's broken down by chassis number and shows the type of F1 and the order they were built, along with their original exterior color. The bottom half includes F1 GTR Race History for 1995 - 1997. Some GTRs continued to race after that. The opposite side of the poster has this image of the last F1 - chassis #075 - in front of a RAF Hawk jet.

If you can't spring for the book, there are two websites that have duplicated the info from the poster in an online format. The first one was linked on the previous page, and it is a very good resource with info and stats on the various types of McLarens.

http://www.qv500.com/indexmclaren.php

Most of their info is accurate, save for a few of the captions on their photos. Also the price guide is suspect, but information like that fluctuates regularly and since most F1 sales are private, it's hard to put figures like that together with any amount of accuracy.

The second resource for chassis numbers is this site here:

http://wspr-racing.com/chassis/mclaren.htm

The only error I noticed on their list is the identification of a suspected 29th GTR. There were only 28 GTRs built over the three year period. The car they suspected was GTR #29R actually turned out to be GTR #25R, having been rebuilt from spares after a fire severly damaged the chassis at LeMans in 1997. It continues to race in the Japan GT Championship series even today.

You are a Mclaren fount of knowledge, peloton. Thanks a lot for the info!!!!!
    Thanks - I am always glad to be able to help people learn about this amazing supercar. It's nice to hear my efforts are appreciated.

PS: one last thing. I want to know more about Bernd Pieschtrieder and Rowan atkinson's cars, can you tell me?( chassis number, their fate now, history etc)
    I don't know the chassis number of Pieschetsrieder's F1, however I do know that he had a heavy crash in an F1 on the Autobahn, and reportedly the car was written off. Whether that was his own car, or a car belonging to BMW, I can not say with any certainty. The words "written off" seem to imply that it was destroyed beyond repair. Bummer that...

Atkinson's F1 is chassis #061. He also had a small crash in that car, but it was fully repaired and he still owns and drives it. The car was used in an episode of TopGear last year where they reviewed the Ferrari Enzo and made comparisons against the previous decade's supercars like the F1, XJ220, and F40. This is a shot of Atkinson's F1.

Clickable for hi-res...

I'll be back with hi-res LM photos over the weekend.

>8^)
    ER
    Last edited by Peloton25; 09-30-2005 at 11:02 AM.

Ahhhh.... I love your info peleton.. Such a beuty that you post in our forum.. (your forum also of course) I actually love the F1 more and more after I read all the things you can tell me about it (I`m a history guy) I can`t wait untill the Hig-res pics of the LM

Peleton, that orange F1 LM in Japan wouldn't happen to sit next to a red F1 GT, would it?
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Yes, in fact it does. The museum you probably have photos from is called the ZAZ Museum and it is located in Nagoya, Japan. The owner of the museum also has a white F1 now - chassis #053 - recently sold one of the short tail LARK GTRs - chassis #13R - to Australia, and long ago owned a blue F1 road car - chassis #018.

All four cars were reviewed in a Japanese magazine called Rosso quite recently. There is a copy of that magazine for sale on Ebay now. Here's a shot of the four F1s together from the Rosso website.

Clickable...

I also sectioned off that image and made a version with just the LM and GT. It's a bit soft at full res, but still a great image I think.

Clickable...

>8^)
    ER

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25
    Yes, in fact it does. The museum you probably have photos from is called the ZAZ Museum and it is located in Nagoya, Japan. The owner of the museum also has a white F1 now - chassis #053 - recently sold one of the short tail LARK GTRs - chassis #13R - to Australia, and long ago owned a blue F1 road car - chassis #018.
    do you happen to know how many F1's are in australia? all i have is a pic of a silver one in a showroom (maranello motorsports) next to two red F40s and one yellow F50.
    i agree with LotusLocost, learning all this stuff about the mac makes it even more desirable as a dream car.
    Last edited by clutch-monkey; 09-30-2005 at 09:31 PM.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

There wasn't a white one when I went there!
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    do you happen to know how many F1's are in australia? all i have is a pic of a silver one in a showroom (maranello motorsports) next to two red F40s and one yellow F50.
    i agree with LotusLocost, learning all this stuff about the mac makes it even more desirable as a dream car.
    I sent this info to another member in response to a PM the other day. To save some time I will simply plagiarise myself a bit.

The only F1 that I'm aware of having ever been in Australia up to this year is chassis #009, originally owned by Dean Wills, who was the Chairman of Coca-Cola Amatil in Australia. At one point, his car was crashed by a mechanic in Sydney, but although the crash was massive and the car sustained quite a bit of damage, McLaren Cars in England was able to rebuild it for him.

Very early this year, Wills sold his F1 to Tony Raftis who owns Maranello Motorsport in Melbourne. This is the car in the photo you have. Tony and I exchanged several emails while he had the car and he claimed it to be the only McLaren F1 on the continent of Australia. I'm sure he would have known through either Wills or McLaren themselves if that was not the case. He explained that something about your RHD-only laws made it difficult for F1s to be importedfor road use. Apparently Mr Wills had used some contacts in the government to help him bring his car in and get it certified. Other potential customers would not have had this same opportunity, thus no other F1s made it to Australia.

Tony kept #009 until about 1 month ago before selling it to a man named Barry Fitzgerald. Get this... Mr Fitz apparently owns and operates the chains of McDonalds restaurants in Victoria, AUS. He must have sold a lot of cheeseburgers and french fries to afford an F1. Of course he may have other business interests as well, but that is all I have been able to confirm so far.

Back to Mr Raftis though. After acquiring #009 he became very interested in purchasing other McLaren F1s and would frequently ask me about other chassis he had located around the world.

One of the cars he has purchased is GTR #13R, a former LARK-liveried GTR that raced in the Japan GT Series in 1996. That car has remained in a private collection in Japan (see above photo) since it finished the season of racing, achieving the championship victory with drivers Ralf Schumacher and Naokki Hattori. That car is in Melbourne as of about two weeks ago and is probably in the workshop of Maranello Motorsport as I type this.

Tony also purchased GTR #16R out of England. It had been owned by Ray Bellm, who was one of the GULF-liveried F1 GTR drivers, and one of the men who originally convinced McLaren to build the GTRs in the first place. Mr Bellm had McLaren Cars convert that GTR for road use several years back and the car was plated and driven in the UK. It was originally one of the FINA GTRs that raced in the Silverstone event of the '96 BPR Global GT Champioship, and it also raced at LeMans in 1996 as well. This car was mostly white with blue flanks and rear when Tony purchased it. It still had the BMW/FINA checkered flag graphics running down the middle of the car from nose to tail, starting off red and then switching to blue and then fading to turquoise as it reached the rear of the car. The rest of the sponsor decals had been removed.

Tony decided to send #16R to the factory for a complete refit, having them convert the car to the look of an F1 LM. They recently completed the work and the car is being transported to Australia now and should be on site within about two weeks time.

Both #13R and photos of the freshened #16R appear on the Maranello Motorsports website here:

http://www.maranellomotorsport.com/sales.asp

There was one other McLaren F1 in New Zealand from 1994 to 2000, but that car is now in the USA. It was the 4th prototype built of the McLaren F1 - chassis 'XP4'. The NZ owner was Sir Roger Bhatnagar. I saw this car in person a few weeks ago in Monterey, CA where it's current owner had it on display. It wears a beautiful Electric Blue paint and looks incredible in person.

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    There wasn't a white one when I went there!
    Wow!! You went to the ZAZ Museum? That's incredibly cool! When did you do that, and what cars were there? Did you happen to go on one of the days when the engines were started? I hear those are the only days when photos inside the museum are allowed, but obviously photos have been snuck out from other times as well. Please tell me all that you remember, send it via PM if you would like. Thanks!

>8^)
    ER
    Last edited by Peloton25; 09-30-2005 at 11:40 PM.

I went with my cousins. Unfornately, we didn't stay long.
    They had the F1 LM, and F1 GT there and alot more.

Its been nearly a year since I went, but I remember alot of cars. I'm pretty sure there was a yellow F50, the 1st yellow one I saw.
    I'd like to go back, but don't have the time.

Actually, I think my time for cars is limited. I start college in a little over a week.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Peloton you speak of a picture in there, I'm assuming that that was as part of the reply to the PM.
    Apparently a F1 was seen on father's day in melbourne parked right in the CBD. This was such a large event that it made the newspapers. They only showed a b&w photograph, so I still don't know the original colour...

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    Peloton you speak of a picture in there, I'm assuming that that was as part of the reply to the PM.
    Actually, my comment "This is the car in the photo you have." was in response to clutch-monkey's statement:

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    all i have is a pic of a silver one in a showroom (maranello motorsports) next to two red F40s and one yellow F50.
    F1 Master - were you able to take any photos there?

>8^)
    ER

Peloton, check your PMs please.
    Top 10:
    1) Mclaren F1
    2) Dodge Viper
    3) BMW M5
    4) Ferrari F430
    5) Ferrari Enzo
    6) Corvette Z06
    7) Lamborghini Gallardo
    8) 1967 AC Cobra 427
    9) 1971 Hemi Cuda
    10) Mercedes SL55 AMG

Quote Originally Posted by Peloton25
    Actually, my comment "This is the car in the photo you have." was in response to clutch-monkey's statement:

F1 Master - were you able to take any photos there?

>8^)
    ER
    I was told my camera would be confiscated (sp...) if I went in with it.
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Well I've held out on you guys long enough.

Some of these photos aren't truly "Hi Res" but they are some of the best F1 LM shots I have in my collection and I think you will still appreciate them.

>8^)
    ER
    Attached Images Attached Images

More...

>8^)
    ER

And more...

>8^)
    ER

Thread Information