View Poll Results: Do you think it's a good idea?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think that it would be a good idea

15 78.95%
  • No, I don't believe that this will work

4 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extra Photography Competition?

Extra Photography Competition?

Basically because of all the discussion about the cars being the object of the Automotive Photography Competition, I thought it might be an idea to host the following competition:

Standard Automotive Competition.

Along with the normal competition, it might be an idea to have this competition to showcase the photography skills with normal cars, as opposed to having a competition which is dictated by who has the rarest car in their photo. There have been some absolutelly marvellous winners with normal cars, just extraordinary photographs, but they don't come along often. Rijoh with his Fiat 500 is an example.
    What I was wondering is whether people find this idea a reasonable one. It would be on a weekly basis, and would have certain extra guidelines such as price/power (I'm open to suggestions), so as to retain an even field.
    On the other hand, I don't want to make the current Automotive Photography Competition into one which doesn't have any more talented photos, just pictures of something fancy.

I see this as a two sided idea, and if people keep level heads I believe it can work.
    I am including a poll, please vote, but also post the reason behind your vote. This includes, if you like the proposition, ideas to improve the competition on all levels.

So far most pic I've seen are pretty good with the subject and how they are taken.....ones with only good subject don't usually win...

Besides, it'd be hard to govern exactly how to decide whats valid and not valid...

I found the automtie comp a farce.That is why i have stopped posting pictures in there.I rarely see a car worth over 100.000€.Perhaps the level of validaty should be established at certain value.Perhap something like 30-40.000 € (which is a lot of money for common people,like most are.)

On one hand , i find it a good idea, on the other though, it would be confusing.Perhaps the automotive comp, should just be improved.

The same kind of voting is going on in the general photography comp too.
    Look at the votes Niko_fx got for the pic of his girlfriend.There were much better pictures, but they got lesser votes.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    Besides, it'd be hard to govern exactly how to decide whats valid and not valid...
    That's why I'm asking what people would find an acceptable category of cars that would be used in this competition.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I found the automtie comp a farce.That is why i have stopped posting pictures in there.I rarely see a car worth over 100.000€.Perhaps the level of validaty should be established at certain value.Perhap something like 30-40.000 € (which is a lot of money for common people,like most are.)

On one hand , i find it a good idea, on the other though, it would be confusing.Perhaps the automotive comp, should just be improved.

The same kind of voting is going on in the general photography comp too.
    Look at the votes Niko_fx got for the pic of his girlfriend.There were much better pictures, but they got lesser votes.
    Exactly why I propose this new competition, although I don't really see how the automotive competition could be improved. Basically good cars are what make that competition what it is. The combination of a wonderful car and a relatively good photo usually makes the winner. There are most certainly exceptions, but they're hard to find in the massive amounts of very good cars in the competition.

You can't start an automotive photography competition in a car based forum which revolves mainly around the performance car aspect and expect everyone to post brilliant photos of ordinary/supercars every single competition. That's basically what that competition is, who has a nice photo of the best car, and that's to be expected. Several members have certainly voiced (typed) their opinion over this thus far, and I must say to a certain extent I agree.
    On the other hand I'm afraid that this competition would alienate the other competition from good pictures altogether, and would make it basically a free for all for car spotters. Which is why I made this thread .

finally someone listened to me.

Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see your point, I mean I only submit pic when I go to a race track to see stuff, the pic I used for Comp 44 has a MG Lola in it, but it could might as well be a Civic but the technique would've been no different(well some difference in the timing to adjust for speed difference at the same corner between the 2), but the one with the Civic is unlikely to make it as far as the Lola one did. But I find it unfair then if my subject just happens to be a more expensive car in the same situation and then it became not eligible......

I agree with that, and fully understand where you're coming from. That's why I'd also assume that the other photography competition will still be running, in which you can enter those particular photographs. But, again, the question remains what WILL become of the other competition if this one happens to get under way...

to be honest, i would certainly have expected this picture to get more than one vote.However in a comp dominated by Ferarri's and Lambo's this did even got a chance.Apparently a Audi on a very remote mountain location was not considered worth looking at. I fear that even in this new comp, the nicest car gets a few more votes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    I fear that even in this new comp, the nicest car gets a few more votes.
    Then what would you classify as nicer cars? I think that that picture is remarkable, and that 1 vote certainly does not justify it. An A4 entered in the competition is about the highest level of cars that I'd suggest going to (i.e. BMW 3 series, only maybe 5, Alfas, VW Passat etc.), and there most certainly won't be any Ferraris or Lamborghinis to knock your picture down. This is why I'm also asking what the specifications of a car should be in order to enter this competition, such as a car ranging from 25-35 grand (whatever currency), no sports cars and no modified cars.

What is also possible that every week is a week with a chosen subject, such as week 1 being hatchbacks, 2 being small RWD, 3 being ordinary parked cars etc.

Why don't we do it like the GT4 pic comp, from my understanding in that you get a theme and let people run with it....

Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    Why don't we do it like the GT4 pic comp, from my understanding in that you get a theme and let people run with it....
    That was my intention with my last post. I believe that the GT4 comp is a theme 1 week, free picture the next, then another theme. This would most certainly keep the new competition in order, as it leaves no space for people to somehow slot in an exotic. Would it be alternate weeks for themes, or every week a new theme? Would the theme be chosen by the previous week's winner or the competition host (i.e. myself)?

a theme for each week would be ideal, but i do not take pics of cars every day.
    For example, when you create a theme at the GT4 comp, like drifting, you just have to play some and make a drift, aite?

Making a theme for the automotive comp would be a "limit" for some ppl
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

Guest Guest
    i think that you should just insert a sentance in bold along the lines of "Remember, you are not voting on the actual car, but the photo itself"

it would be good if it was a thematic version of the general photo comp

yes its a good idea i got a pic id post in autocomp but i know it wontget any votes cause its only a common suv

Thread Information