Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Superbird

to all the bashers of the wing...you should stop because those were the fastest cars ever put on the nascar tracks. because of those cars all kinds of new rules and regulations were brought into effect to bring down the speeds which were getting dangerousley fast with those cars. nobody could touch them on the track.
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Thats right the 71 season saw some extremem changes... I don't know to many of them because I hate NASCAR but I do know that the homologation rules now stipulated there be at least 5000 of each race car on the road making it to expensive and time consuming for the manufactures to build Limited Editions like the Superbird, Daytona, Talladega, Boss 429, and other such cars. After this they also mandated a restrictor plate to slow down the cars and reduce horsepower by cutting the intake hole almost in half, the cubes were downed, and stricter regulations on everything else was brought in due to the incredible cars now coming off the assembly lines.

Those were the days, 40cent gas, massive engines, and anyone could go to their local dealer and buy literally whatever they wanted... even a road legal 200mph car.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Quote Originally Posted by deffenbaugh03
    I never really liked this car. The 10ft spoiler and overhangs make me sick.
    maybe the Spoiler look stupid ..
    but they did a lot in nascar racing at this time the car was racing !
    They won and was simple the best at those years !

Challe /
    http://race68.com

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    This was one of the first (if not the first) cars to be designed in a wind tunnel.
    No this was .. see pic

anyone could go to their local dealer and buy literally whatever they wanted... even a road legal 200mph car.
    Those modified race-only 200mph Daytonas were definately NOT road legal. Did they run an OE road legal exhaust system or have windscreen wipers etc?
    I don't think there are to many things in racing(within regulations) worth more than even 10mph (16kph)
    I'd bet that blueprinting & balancing a lowly Ford Pinto would add over 10mph to its top speed
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    No this was .. see pic

Those modified race-only 200mph Daytonas were definately NOT road legal. Did they run an OE road legal exhaust system or have windscreen wipers etc?

I'd bet that blueprinting & balancing a lowly Ford Pinto would add over 10mph to its top speed
    Everything before the 60's that was designed in a wind tunnel was for astetics, Rolls Royce even did it, I should've said it was the first designed for a specific purpose.

The fact is that anyone could go into their dealership and buy a Hemi daytona or Hemi superbird, both capable of 175+ in stock trim, in 1969.

Yeah I bet a good B&B on the Pinto would add 10mph, but if it were a racer and already built up as high as it could go, with the best engines and aerodynamics Ford could supply (as chrysler did with the Daytona and Superbird racers), it would be hard to add much more, especially if the goal was 200mph. Keep in mind I said "not too many things".
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

Everything before the 60's that was designed in a wind tunnel was for astetics, Rolls Royce even did it, I should've said it was the first designed for a specific purpose.
    Sorry, C, but wherever you read that was wrong by many hundreds of cars
    Could it have been Chrysler ? "Promoting" their engineering expertise ?
    or watch out, Wikipedia claimed the Wrights "invented" the wind tunnel and yet Reynolds had been using one for 30 years prior to that !!!!

In the early years prestige cars were designed and built by aircraft manufacturers all over the world. Since early 1900s they all had wind tunnels. Full size model you may be right, I'm not sure. But Reynolds had shown how small scale models mapped to the real world and many models were tested in aero wind tunnels by these companies.

Anyway, one well recorded example was for Tatra in the 30s Dr Paul Jaray designed and tested streamlined automobiles in the wind-tunnel of the German Zeppelin works.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Umm one look at that bizzare 1922 Ley, prewar Rumpler or even a Chrysler Airflow aka the 'pregnant elephant' would convince anybody they were NOT designed that way for aesthetic reasons

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    many models were tested in aero wind tunnels by these companies.

Anyway, one well recorded example was for Tatra in the 30s Dr Paul Jaray designed and tested streamlined automobiles in the wind-tunnel of the German Zeppelin works.
    I said Chrysler was the first company to use the wind tunnel for racing and to actually use aerodynamics to make the car go faster. When they streamlined the bodies of the 20's and 30's cars it was for the looks. The general idea of the times was that a small, streamlined car would slip through the air easier, which is true to a point, but no one really cared whether it worked or not so long as it looked good. Chrysler engineers actually put aerodynamics to work by adding reverse scoops on the fenders so that air underneath the car would be sucked up into the low pressure area just behind it and it worked. This may seem small but its the first time anyone actually "used" the air coming at the car for anything other than cooling or feeding the engine. Before the Daytona and Superbird programs race cars were largely tested by taping strips of paper all around the car and having a go around a track in the watchful eye of aerodyamicists and engineers.

I said Chrysler was the first company to use the wind tunnel for racing and to actually use aerodynamics to make the car go faster·
    You also said retail-sale road legal Daytonas did 200mph, since beaten down to 175
    I'll leave it to others to cite some of the many earlier racecars which also actually used aero mods to make the car go faster
    When they streamlined the bodies of the 20's and 30's cars it was for the looks.
    See post #52
    Chrysler engineers actually put aerodynamics to work by adding reverse scoops on the fenders so that air underneath the car would be sucked up into the low pressure area just behind it and it worked. This may seem small but its the first time anyone actually "used" the air coming at the car for anything other than cooling or feeding the engine.
    Very creative imagineering there 'Clevor' I will actually grant you that .. but in real life those Daytona fender 'scoops' were added to provide tyre clearance

I'll leave it to you to inform Dan Gurney, Frank Costin or Frank Gardner etc that Chryco's Daytona was the first to use frontal airflow for anything other than cooling or intake
    Last edited by nota; 11-09-2005 at 10:18 AM.

I said Chrysler was the first company to use the wind tunnel for racing and to actually use aerodynamics to make the car go faster. When they streamlined the bodies of the 20's and 30's cars it was for the looks.
    BULLSHIT.

You need to learn aero history
    The general idea of the times was that a small, streamlined car would slip through the air easier, which is true to a point, but no one really cared whether it worked or not so long as it looked good.
    Did you bother to read the comment about Jarer ??
    Chrysler engineers actually put aerodynamics to work by adding reverse scoops on the fenders so that air underneath the car would be sucked up into the low pressure area just behind it and it worked. This may seem small but its the first time anyone actually "used" the air coming at the car for anything other than cooling or feeding the engine. Before the Daytona and Superbird programs race cars were largely tested by taping strips of paper all around the car and having a go around a track in the watchful eye of aerodyamicists and engineers.
    You're talking up Chrysler
    It's OK, we're used to companies like "them" having to claim they did everythign first
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    ta hell with the superbird hes got a ferrari!

hey, I'd rather take the superbird, considering less than 2,000 were built.

An all original Superbird is worth a boatload of cash.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

This may seem small but its the first time anyone actually "used" the air coming at the car for anything other than cooling or feeding the engine.
    This may seem small but to illustrate how ridiculous the above claim is, the Daytona was released for sale in September 1969. By that date, Ford Oz had already built and sold its entire run of 260 spoiler-equipped Falcon GT-HOs .. .. and were actually campaigning them in production races

Sandown 300 Sept 1969

These cars used to really rise up on their springs at speed and published contemporary tests pictured the spoiler delivering a 4" reduction in front ride-height @ 100mph over non-spoiler Falcon, and IIRC a 6" reduction @ 120mph

I'm not claiming GT-HO was anywhere near the first production car to (in your words) "actually use the air coming at the car for anything other than cooling or feeding the engine" .. but it seems even a lowly Falcon from a Pacific backwater blows your Daytona claim into the weeds
    Last edited by nota; 11-09-2005 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    BULLSHIT.

You need to learn aero history

Did you bother to read the comment about Jarer ??

You're talking up Chrysler
    It's OK, we're used to companies like "them" having to claim they did everythign first
    Well go ahead and teach me, no need for curses.

Well go ahead and teach me, no need for curses.
    wtf ? BULLSHIT is now "cursing" ????

Get a life

The information had already been provided, hence the cussin' !!!!!!

No arguement then? Don't you have something prepared to prove my "claims" are "bullshit"?
    Last edited by "Clevor" Angel; 11-09-2005 at 01:42 PM.

Thread Information