Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari F40 VS Porsche 959?

How do you live with the heavy clutch? The custom here is to stick a piece of paper over the gearshift with your username on it, to show that you have access to the car. It was invented by one of our longstanding members EggNog. Hence the EggNog request.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    How do you live with the heavy clutch? The custom here is to stick a piece of paper over the gearshift with your username on it, to show that you have access to the car. It was invented by one of our longstanding members EggNog. Hence the EggNog request.
    Overtime you get used to the clutch. On the track or open road it is fine. It is only if you get caught in traffic that it becomes a real pain.

Per the EggNog request:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 60Valves View Post
    Per the EggNog request:
    Epic.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Overtime you get used to the clutch. On the track or open road it is fine. It is only if you get caught in traffic that it becomes a real pain.

Per the EggNog request:
    niiiiice.

i assume it's nice to own a dream car?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    niiiiice.

i assume it's nice to own a dream car?
    I have been fortunate enough to own a few special cars. Driving the F40 is always a special event, you never get bored doing it.

I have been fortunate enough to own a few special cars. Driving the F40 is always a special event, you never get bored doing it.
    but do you drive it only for special events or is there a portion of daily use as well?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Porsche 959 is perhaps the greatest Porsche ever built - a technological tour-de-force in the 1980's. Cabin mounted tyre pressure guages, height adjustable suspension, adjustable torque-split 4WD differential, the first road Porsche to feature the PSK - twenty years before it finally featured on a 911.

The F40 will be legendary in years to come and I think it would be a frightening car to drive at full pelt in any conditions - twin turbos, manic boost, no driver aids, mid-engined and rear wheel driven. A masterpiece.

Splitting these two cars would be very difficult. Even respected journalists shy away from making versus comparisons. They're both brilliant cars, I'd be happy if I could own either.

60Valves you are a lucky lucky man! I hope you appreciate just how lucky you are, I'd give my left leg... no my right leg - no I'd need that too....

My left arm? Nope... right arm?

Hmmmm. Need all legs and all arms to drive a car like that.

Let's just say I'd give a lot to have one drive in either of those cars!

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Epic.
    Indeed.

EDIT I think it should feature in the official rides thread.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

No contest...

I will take the
    Ferrari F40

For me... The F40 is the ultimate Ferrari...

Everything ends at 666...
    666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666 666

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    but do you drive it only for special events or is there a portion of daily use as well?
    It really only gets used on the weekends and for events/rallys. As a daily driver it is very impractical. Crawling in traffic is not fun in a F40. I have done it, but it is best avoided.

It really only gets used on the weekends and for events/rallys. As a daily driver it is very impractical. Crawling in traffic is not fun in a F40. I have done it, but it is best avoided.
    I understand, what's the main impracticality? The clutch or all-round visibility?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Have you driven the F40 hard around a circuit 60Valve? There is conjecture amongst a few colleagues of mine as to whether or not the F40 has understeer if driven hard in track conditions, or is it a case of the rear always being in full-swing?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I understand, what's the main impracticality? The clutch or all-round visibility?
    Not trying to be smart but the main impracticality is that it is an F40.

It is designed to be driven hard on open roads or the track. Traffic is just not good for it.

I have never had any real issues with visibilty (which might be more due to being used to not having much of it).

Clutch is heavy and does get old fast when you have to crawl along (also not cheap to replace).

Quote Originally Posted by AERO_HDT View Post
    Have you driven the F40 hard around a circuit 60Valve? There is conjecture amongst a few colleagues of mine as to whether or not the F40 has understeer if driven hard in track conditions, or is it a case of the rear always being in full-swing?
    Yes, several times. One of the pictures below was taken on the track at Mugello.

Steering and handling is very percise. Washing wide is more a factor of how and when you feed in the power.

Not trying to be smart but the main impracticality is that it is an F40.

It is designed to be driven hard on open roads or the track. Traffic is just not good for it.

I have never had any real issues with visibilty (which might be more due to being used to not having much of it).

Clutch is heavy and does get old fast when you have to crawl along (also not cheap to replace).
    makes perfect sense (without being overly smart)

Thread Information