Thread: Renault 16

Renault 16

Renault 16 was introduced in October 1965 in the DL and
    GL form with 1470cc and 4 speed. It was awarded Car of the year in Europe that year
    In 1968 the 1565cc crossflow engine with 87.5 HP was introduced in the TS model.
    In 1969 the 1565cc became available with an auto gearbox
    In 1970 L and TL models with 1565cc replaced the DL and GL. The rear lights turned from the teardrop shape to an new shape that looked like 3 square lights together .
    In 1974 the TX model was introduced with a 1647cc engine and a 5 speed manual gearbox or a 3 speed
    automatic. It had with electric windows, central locking,
    sports wheels, tinted glass. Also, the headlamps were replaced
    from two rectangular to four squared.
    In 1976 the TS and L model were discontinued.
    In 1979 TL and TX models discontinued and replaced by the R18. (Soon to come)

The Renault 16 was a benchmarker. It was a reference to ohter car makers.
    It not only was a great comfortable cruiser, but it also had a great engined, specially on the TX. It was the engine that powered the Lotus Europa.

Personal notes:

When I was a kid we had an old couple as neighbours. The man was descendent from Brazilian indians. He was a dentist. He was in good shape but her wife not. He used a Renault 4 L as his daily transport, and to take his wife to church on sundays he bought a brand new Renault 16 in silver with beige interior. It was automatic and with electrci powered windows (fantastic for the time).The car looked stunning everytime he took it out of the garage.
    His wife died and he had heart problems so he started walking, some 16 years ago and never drove the car anymore. Me and my best friend use to dream about that car. One day I heard that he was about to sell it. I had a Renault 18 Turbo back then (1998), and was still on university. For the first time in my live I asked my father to give me something. I convinced my father to buy it.
    That same minute I walked out of my house to talk with the dentist. When I arrived at his door my best friend was allready there...
    We decided to go in, talk with the gentlemen and then decide what to do.
    He took the car out of the garage and we were stunned by the numbers: 10.000kms since new!!!
    He was asking something like 150€ before we talked to him, but by that time someone had told him to ask more money. He asked to much for me to convince my father and none of us took the car home.
    I saw the car some months after still looking good.
    The old dentist died 3 months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I love this car! When I was little I had 1/43 scale model of that car, took me long time to destroy it.

I think it also was first car to feature gutters as part of the roof, not on the side above doors.

Thread Information