Thread: 1rst time post - 1991 Pontiac LeMans

1rst time post - 1991 Pontiac LeMans

First time on this board and hopefully you can help.

My 16-yr. old son recently was given a 1991 Pontiac LeMans (4 door sedan) from his grandmother. Runs pretty good for a very basic little four banger.

My questions are...is it possible to improve the performance with bolt-on after market products, or to trick this car out to make it a little more enjoyable for a 16-yr old to drive? Has anyone ever seen this done, or is this car just destined to be a granny car for the remainder of it's life?

Never been much of a mechanic myself, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

George

Welcome to the forums here.

as a father I would like to react to this, although I am totally unfamliar with the car. If I were you I would leave the car as it is and let your son get the driving experience needed for really enjoying something more challenging, without being an immediate danger for his fellow people on the road. In two years time (when he will be at the age that in many countries is mandatory to get your license in the first place) he might start thinking about something more challenging.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

1rst time post - 1991 Pontiac LeMans

henk4,

Thank you for the response and the sound advice! Sounds like you may have forgotten what it is like to be 16, or you remember it all too well Having hit my teens in the late '60s, early '70s, my recollection is a bit fuzzy. What I do recall, I normally do not share with my children (LOL).

As a Father, this car would not have been my first choice, but it's hard to turn down a free car. I had something more in mind from the latter '50s (i.e. a tank). The fact that I could probably put a serious dent in the hood of this Pontiac with one finger does concern me.

What I was hoping for in the way of a response was some suggestions on how to make this a little more appealing for a 16-yr old to drive in public without being totally embarrassed. Both in appearance and performance.

George

Quote Originally Posted by gwbell
    henk4,

Thank you for the response and the sound advice! Sounds like you may have forgotten what it is like to be 16, or you remember it all too well Having hit my teens in the late '60s, early '70s, my recollection is a bit fuzzy. What I do recall, I normally do not share with my children (LOL).

As a Father, this car would not have been my first choice, but it's hard to turn down a free car. I had something more in mind from the latter '50s (i.e. a tank). The fact that I could probably put a serious dent in the hood of this Pontiac with one finger does concern me.

What I was hoping for in the way of a response was some suggestions on how to make this a little more appealing for a 16-yr old to drive in public without being totally embarrassed. Both in appearance and performance.

George
    Hi George,

yes I hit my teens a little bit earlier but not that much and at that time and age cars here were not so common as they are now. The concern was more about little Hondas. I can imagine that your son might be embarrassed with this car, (the way you describe it makes me think that it is not exactly a girl catcher), but having gained some driving experience in the USA over the years I don't think performance would be lacking, as I hardly saw anybody using any car to its full performance.

Anyway, I would suggest to find out whether there is a core group of followers of this model, (each car nervermind its oddness gets such a group) and they would be surely able to give some info about cosmetic stuff available.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Henk4,

Again, thank you for the response!

Any idea how to go about finding such a core group? I've done the normal web searches.

George

Quote Originally Posted by gwbell
    Henk4,

Again, thank you for the response!

Any idea how to go about finding such a core group? I've done the normal web searches.

George
    well, to be honest I would such a clarification coming from an American member here, but you could try www.automotiveforums.com

I owned a Pontiac LeMans.

A tyre upgrabe comes FIRST.
    One of the major upgrades is of wt. reduction(fibre-glass hood).
    The car is easily tunable. Try a turbocharger. Get it done by a qualified mechanic, or BAD things could happen.

You could rice it up (very 16-ish).
    Personally i think you are MUCH too concerned fo him.
    John Buffum was the man.

UCP's most violent member; a lump of destructive energy.

Try Michelin Pilot series tyres, a turbo, rear wing, and a bodykit

Thread Information