Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic 34

Classic 34

Shot this at a local cruise in

Quote Originally Posted by GA_Teg
    Shot this at a local cruise in
    I would not define Hot Rod as classic. Ugly, messed up the car.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    I would not define Hot Rod as classic. Ugly, messed up the car.
    Well I guess that is why everyone has their own opinions but thanks for sharing

I have to admit that I am absolutely no fan of this interpretation of classics. It is probably an American thing, as even during the Pebble Beach Concours they had introduced a special class for those cars. They were however the only cars that I did not take any picture of.

But welcome to UCP and please don't get upset if people do not share your taste, if everybody agrees with each other, forums my get dull very soon.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I'm not one for street rods but I like this one. Had he not shaved the door handles I would like it even more. BTW Henk, the ones at the Pebble Beach Concour were the best and most famous hot rods ever made! The SO-CAL Coupe was there for gods sake! Must not be a flathead fan I guess. One of the most beautiful engines ever built IMO, the buick nailheads, the straight eights... funny how no one ever likes them.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
    OBSESSED is a word the lazy use to describe the DEDICATED!

Well I also like hotrods .. used to own one

My pics from an Oz street fest
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by "Clevor" Angel
    I'm not one for street rods but I like this one. Had he not shaved the door handles I would like it even more. BTW Henk, the ones at the Pebble Beach Concour were the best and most famous hot rods ever made! The SO-CAL Coupe was there for gods sake! Must not be a flathead fan I guess. One of the most beautiful engines ever built IMO, the buick nailheads, the straight eights... funny how no one ever likes them.
    I am sure that what ever comes to PB is top of the bill in its own right, but if they needed lawn mowers they could have found cheaper ones
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Lawnmowers? Explain. Back in the day these were the rage for people who didn't have 4,000 or 7,000 for a sports car, they did what they could with what they had and often blew the socks off of stock cars they would've bought otherwise. The hot rods that went to pebble beach were record holders, international show winners, their the cars everyone else tried to copy. The flatheads and nailheads in these cars could and did produce 300-500-700 bhp, in the 50's! You don't really have to insult them do you? Even if you don't like them you have to admit their wild. Their not usually supposed to be pretty, not from that era, they were built for speed by guys in the know, true automotive geniuses in their own right, everything they did they knew about, everything down to aerodynamics (or what little they knew about AD's back in the 50's) the mechanics, the engineering, everything was done by true hot rodders.

Check these out:
    http://hotrod.com/eventcoverage/41418/
    Last edited by "Clevor" Angel; 10-18-2005 at 12:37 PM.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin

And some photos... If you don't like these maybe your too much of a snooty European and have very narrow minded idealistic tastes, even if they don't catch your fancy, you must admit their beautiful in their own right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Clevor" you really need to take a chill-pill.

You 'force' everyone to have to admit they're beautiful ie pushing your opinion and preference and yet complain and describe as "snooty European" when someone tells you it's NOT their preference.

If you live by the sword you die by the sword.

PS: I think heavily chopped ones are ugly too btw. AND I know about them as neighbour across the way builds a new one every 4-5 years and we regularly have meets on the street with his mates. Doesn't make them any prettier to my eye ( but my ear likes ) jsut as he doesn't get turned on by sexy French curves !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Only in this case matra, just defending the "lawnmowers" that made it possible for the everyday joe to afford a fast car. So go ahead and have the last word again matra.

Only in this case matra, just defending the "lawnmowers" that made it possible for the everyday joe to afford a fast car. So go ahead and have the last word again matra.
    Thank you for the offer and not actually covering any of the points.
    ( Which if you had would have given you the last word - though I'd have likely posted a "thanks" out of courtesy )

anyway I'll take that offer up ...

"last word"

"A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Matra check your PM's

Lawnmowers? Explain.
    a tongue-in-cheek reference to the word "Lowrider". I actually saw them move over the holy pebble beach grass, and there was pretty little ground clearence there.

Yes these cars are not my taste, but I would never deny anybody to have his own

Clevor although I'm not European, but I may be snotty, they don't impress me with their styling.

I recognise the workmanship is of a high level, and realise the origen of the type but they do suit my taste. Describing me as a snotty european for this could be a little harsh.

Thread Information