Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why does it say its a supercharger?

why does it say its a supercharger?

'Cause they're foolish, or its an american Manufacturer. They're weird, I sometimes have noticed thta myself and than I get confused but remember the difference between the two. But they often do that.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Belt-driven perhaps? And a supercharger and turbo are essentially the same thing.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

^^^ No they aren't.

I don't think the nationality of the people that named those parts matters, and I highly doubt whomever listed that was american (remember, Supercharging is used alot more often in american production vehicles than Turbocharging).

Just my .02 cents.

that is a Vortech supercharger, it is a centrifugal supercharger, which is like a compressor side on a turbocharger, but it is driven by a belt, not exhaust gases like a turbocharger.

there's 2 types of superchargers, roots(twin-screw bein more efficient, but almost same style, also called blower or positive displacement supercharger) and a centrifugal, which is the 1 in the pics.

the SQ is supposed to mean it is a silent supercharger, as in it doesn't make so much sound like ati procharger(same centrifugal, other manufacturer), as for the V's, i guess they're just a rating for how big it is.
    Last edited by TheOne; 10-17-2005 at 05:01 PM.
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne
    that is a Vortech supercharger, it is a centrifugal supercharger, which is like a compressor side on a turbocharger, but it is driven by a belt, not exhaust gases like a turbocharger.
    Exactly.

It is a bit of a moot point, but usually when used supercharger refers only to mechanically driven forced induction device. However, the most general definition of a supercharger encompasses all types of forced induction, including those driven by exhaust gases (i.e. turbochargers).
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Doesn't look like a superchargeh.

These are mostly known as sideblowers... ive got the V-2 on my ac cobra at the moment..
    it doesnt look like a supercharger bcoz u can only see the inlet if you could see a picture of the other side its simply a shaft with a pulley wheel on it and looks nothing like a turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor
    It is a bit of a moot point, but usually when used supercharger refers only to mechanically driven forced induction device. However, the most general definition of a supercharger encompasses all types of forced induction, including those driven by exhaust gases (i.e. turbochargers).
    THat's a perfect example of our division over a common language

Exhaust gas driven superchargers over here are ALWAYS TURBOchargers.

If there is a common usage of supercharger to cover turbos as well it's a US-thing probably driven by the much wider use of superchargers there. Turbos are more common over here so their entymology is stronger.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Any device which pressurises (supercharges) air is a supercharger.

Supercharger = supercharger
    Turbocharger = supercharger
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Any device which pressurises (supercharges) air is a supercharger.

Supercharger = supercharger
    Turbocharger = supercharger
    well to be ACCURATE CS, the first should say supercharger driven by external means and second should say driven by exhaust gasses.

As a modern turbo is manufactured as a single unit then it's not really just a supercharger.

It's like saying a leaf is a tree A leaf is a leaf and a tree has leaves. It doesn't make a tree a leaf or a leaf a trea

or do you call the fan on the window demister on the car a supercharger too ? What about the office fan that keeps you cool in summer - a supercharger ?? The all "pressurise air" and yet are NOT called superchargers.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Matra and Alastor:

Regardless of which of you two nitpicks thinks is correct:

You'll notice it says "Vortech" on the sides of all of them. This means that they are all superchargers in both senses of the term, as the company does not and has never produced any turbochargers.

E-N we'd gone off topic slightly from the PICTURES anyway and were discussing the terminology used for turbo v super

But hey, thanks for the "reminder"

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    E-N we'd gone off topic slightly from the PICTURES anyway and were discussing the terminology used for turbo v super

But hey, thanks for the "reminder"
    I'm fully aware of that. - I figured this way I might actually shut you up but I should've known that would never happen

Thread Information