Thread: Lotus using a toyota engine

Lotus using a toyota engine

Lotus released a new model of their Elise lightweight supercar and it featured the Celica's engine. Does this come as a shock to anyone?
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    Lotus released a new model of their Elise lightweight supercar and it featured the Celica's engine. Does this come as a shock to anyone?
    Seriously, did you not know about this? This announcement was made ages ago. The Toyota 1.8 VVT-i engine was announced for the North American model.

Actually, it was added to the UCP main page:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...ar.mv&num=1883

seriosuly i only just found out in the last couple of days. i dont really keep my ears open to european cars that much, i think the only reason i noticed it was because i read this article saying lotus was going to offer a model standard with things liek a stereo, air con and power seats, things they usually steer clear of to keep to their origins i guess
    I am the Stig

lotus was going to offer a model standard with things liek a stereo, air con and power seats, things they usually steer clear of to keep to their origins i guess
    Nooooooooooooooo
    They'll turn it into a lardy-*ss !!
    I hope they don't add all the stuff American's like in their cars for the American market.
    I think that would be plain wrong.
    You'll end up with a horrible car.
    The Elise' charm is it's handling and performance. Adding weight urts both.

I can see the thread on here in a years time full of "I tried the Elise at my local dealer on I-xxx and it's rubbish, Europeans don't make fast cars"

Westfield have proven that the Rover K-series engine can product WAY more power than Lotus delivers from the factory.I suspect the Toyota engine is used so there will be no parts supply issues in the US. ( Oh and it IS a good engine )

it is a good engine and its supposedly given the elise a 0-100km/h time of about 4.9 seconds even with its luxury appointments.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I can see the thread on here in a years time full of "I tried the Elise at my local dealer on I-xxx and it's rubbish, Europeans don't make fast cars"
    However, oddly enough, the 111R is the quickest/fastest Elise variant yet! Still, I don't see why one would bother with leather, air conditioning, etc. The only weight gain for my ideal Elise would be to meet any local bumper regulations. This, of course, would then be offset by lightweight alloy rims and the #3 factory sports exhaust.

Not when you remember they put an ISUZU engine in the S2 Elan

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    However, oddly enough, the 111R is the quickest/fastest Elise variant yet! Still, I don't see why one would bother with leather, air conditioning, etc. The only weight gain for my ideal Elise would be to meet any local bumper regulations. This, of course, would then be offset by lightweight alloy rims and the #3 factory sports exhaust.

although i doubt Australia will get the 111R, because of our strong dollar at present the base price of the Elise has dropped from about $89K to $69K, putting it closeto cars such as the FPV GT-P, HSV Clubsport R8, 320ci or 325i, S2000, X type 2.5 sport, C200K, and a couple of others
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Nooooooooooooooo
    They'll turn it into a lardy-*ss !!
    I hope they don't add all the stuff American's like in their cars for the American market.
    I think that would be plain wrong.
    You'll end up with a horrible car.
    The Elise' charm is it's handling and performance. Adding weight urts both.

Westfield have proven that the Rover K-series engine can product WAY more power than Lotus delivers from the factory.I suspect the Toyota engine is used so there will be no parts supply issues in the US. ( Oh and it IS a good engine )
    You're right, an Elise shouldn't have a stereo, electric windows and an airconditioning. Keep it hardcore!
    They sould release a model without all the stuff, buth with the more powerful engine (or did they already do that ) that would be cool!
    Dreaming of a Peugeot 106 Rallye...

i think it would be good if Lotus say released a 111RS model or something liek that, with the Celica engine but the basic bare bones body for those enthusiasts like Egg Nog who only want whats neccesary to drive the thing
    I am the Stig

Thread Information