Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photography Tips Thread

As far as I know you can zoom during the exposure only with a DSLR...

Quote Originally Posted by pergarec
    As far as I know you can zoom during the exposure only with a DSLR...
    I asked the question becuase I believe C_T once told me he had a Power'snot' A40.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

I believe these tips are from a website, and not C_T's, but I may be mistaken.

i use http://www.dpreview.com/ anytime i need pointers, there's a forum for specific maunfacturers and they have very good guides. For specific hints you'd need to say what you specifically want to do, but some general hints are that when you're out taking photos, wear clothes that you don't mind getting dirty so you can lie on the ground, have your camera on and ready all the time when you're out, you have a DSLR, continuous burst is always good to have on, and be very familiar with your cameras so you know exactly what its abilities are and how to set it to get the results you're after

Nice thread, since I've had interest in it and also looking into getting a new digital camera.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    There's also http://www.dcresource.com/
    Last edited by Forever92; 10-24-2005 at 03:39 AM.
    Before Posting Please Watch This Short Video... URL=http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

Nice thread, just a shame that I can't zoom in/out during long exposure pics wih my camera.
    My other signature has a V12

Another tip:

This photo is a very good example that you should get some variation in your picture. The first picture is a bit boring. It has much too much of the same (=green). The second picture was taken a few months later.The leafs had started to fall,causing a more brownish glow.Also i took this picture with some people wlaking down the path. It instantly becomes more attractive, because you eye goes over the picture, towards the people.

1= OK
    2= much better,but still not perfect.

3= nice
    4= much nicer !

Second example.These pictures are yet again of the same subject.Howver on the second there is more variation of subject. It instantly gives the picture a nicer look.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by drakkie; 10-24-2005 at 03:50 AM.

While seeing these pictures again, here is another good tip. Make sure your subject is clearly visible. Do not zoom, but walk closer.The zoom will usually slightly blur the picture.Also will the things on the foreground not be in focus.(?)This can be adjusted on most expensive camera's using the aperture (?) setting (?).

For the second picture i also did not use the zoom.I instead walked down the mountain a bit.Again perfectly in focus. The background however is not 100% in focus.

On the picture with my dad on it, he is in perfect focus.I did not use the zoom,altough i am lazy, but i walked closer.

Remember:
    No Zoom if you do not need it !
    Last edited by drakkie; 10-24-2005 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    This can be adjusted on most expensive camera's using the aperture (?) setting (?).
    yeah, with a larger aperture (lower f stop) you get less depth of field than with a smaller one

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Remember:
    No Zoom if you do not need it !
    that's fine in some cases. if you're using a DSLR with quality lenses you'll have better results with the image quality of long zoomed shots. as well, long zoomed shots really help to 'flatten' a car, or make it more 2D. closer, wide angle shots can be good too, but long zoom shots should only be dismissed if your equipment can't handle them.

again, all of these remarks are only guidelines. the more you use and experiment with your camera the more you'll learn. i'm completely self-taught, with only occasional tips from Wouter and my professional photographer brother-in-law. I met a third-year photography student recently that was baffled with me using my flash off of the camera. i was taking long exposure shots and popping the flash closer to the subject, at an angle, etc, to highlight shaded areas.

examples of wide angle and long zoom shots below:
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

id post more tips about depth of feild but im no on my computer, and tips and shots are indeed mine, rock.
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

Guest Guest
    thanks for the tips, the really are good!

Quote Originally Posted by <AAA-MOD>
    that's fine in some cases. if you're using a DSLR with quality lenses you'll have better results with the image quality of long zoomed shots. as well, long zoomed shots really help to 'flatten' a car, or make it more 2D. closer, wide angle shots can be good too, but long zoom shots should only be dismissed if your equipment can't handle them.

examples of wide angle and long zoom shots below:
    Agree 100%. I prefer to take long shots, except in the summer time over the asphalt surface.
    I also have trouble funding close range lens that would satisfy me, my current Quantaray 18-125 is crap! But cheap Canon 75-300mm is great lens.
    Last edited by smxi; 10-24-2005 at 10:38 AM.

One i picked up this year; throw away your DSLR.

Not indefinately obviously!

Try and acquire/borrow an old school film SLR. I have an old Olympus OM2 sp and I love it to bits. The results generally aren't in the same league as the D70, but it's great practise. It's manual focus and metering, so there's no lazy option. Proper bread and butter photography. And it's film, so you're more inclined to try and make every exposure count. It helped me to learn a lot about metering and the true value of a "stop".

I know plenty of people that have DSLRs and still don't know what a "stop" is. It's far more satisfying to use and I'll pick it up and fire away as readily as I will with the D70. Though I still keep the D70 closer to hand for the important pics.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    One i picked up this year; throw away your DSLR.

Not indefinately obviously!

Try and acquire/borrow an old school film SLR. I have an old Olympus OM2 sp and I love it to bits. The results generally aren't in the same league as the D70, but it's great practise. It's manual focus and metering, so there's no lazy option. Proper bread and butter photography. And it's film, so you're more inclined to try and make every exposure count. It helped me to learn a lot about metering and the true value of a "stop".

I know plenty of people that have DSLRs and still don't know what a "stop" is. It's far more satisfying to use and I'll pick it up and fire away as readily as I will with the D70. Though I still keep the D70 closer to hand for the important pics.
    I like to immediatly see results and be able to make adjustments. I also like to be able to take 150 shots in 10 minutes and to change memory card in 2 seconds in open light.

Thread Information