Thread: Glas 2600

Glas 2600

Glas 2600

Having had much acclaim for its four cylinder GTs introduced in 1965, Hans Glas went one step further in 1965, when he presented the V8 2600 at the Frankfurt IAA as a full four seater Gran Turismo Coupe.

Sitting on a relatively short wheelbased chassis, the new car was once more designed by Frua, and almost immediately caught the nickname “Glaserati”, for obvious reasons, if one looks at the contemporary Maserati Quattroporte. Nevertheless the car stood up in its own right and a small number were produced from August 1966 until the beginning of 1967.

The leaf springs of the smaller coupes was retained, however the they now worked on a Dion Type rear axle, which greatly improved long distance comfort.

The engine was made up by joining two of the fabled 1300 cc engines into one block and produced 140 BHP, just 10 less than BMW’s 3200CS, of which the production had just stopped. In early 1967 engine capacity was increased to 3 litres. After BMW’s takeover the car was once more the car lived on for a while until May 1968 as the BMW 3000 GT. All in all just over 700 were built, almost half of them being 2600s.

Shown is a 2600 at the 2003 Technoclassica in Essen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Glas 2600/ BMW 3000 GT

others Glas. The 1304 TS and 1304 Cabriolet

Thanks, nice pics.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hello everyone. I am a new member here. Sorry to revive an old thread but I don't have the priveledges to start a new one.
    Anyhow, I have found a BMW-Glas 3000GT and am looking for information. It's a bucket of rust but probably worth restoring considering the rarity. It appears by the information I have that it should have a Glas 3.0 V8, but it has a BMW M30 engine. I didn't get to check the dates on the engine, but is there any chance it's original? (would probably have to be a 2.8 if it were, BMW didn't use the 3.0 M30 until 1971) I haven't found any record of one selling, what are they worth? How much does the wrong engine affect this value? If anyone here owns one or knows much about them you can email me directly banjo_84us (at) yahoo.com

Hi Layne and welcome.
    I am almost certain that the six was put in to replace the original V8.

All Vehicles of the Hans GLAS GmbH Frames

the production of the 3 liter stopped in May 1968, while the BMW 2500 (the six cylinder) only started production in Septembr 1968.

It certainly is a rare car (389 built of the 3 liter), yet values have not risen very high. I am also not sure to what extent BMW Classic will support the restauration of what they probably see as not a real one.
    From an aesthetic point of view I would love to see it resurrected, it was a very beautiful car.

Edit: I noted on other pics that it has an autobox, which was not available so must have been put in together with the engine
    Edit2: I found a car for sale in the latest issue of Motor Klassik (German). A 2600 was offered for 32,500 Euro, or roughtly 50k US$.
    Last edited by henk4; 06-17-2008 at 11:38 AM.

Hi Guys

here in south africa i found a very nice 1968 BMW 2000SA, all in original condition.

Is this a rare vehicle and worth buying to restore?

please help me

Quote Originally Posted by year7 View Post
    Hi Guys

here in south africa i found a very nice 1968 BMW 2000SA, all in original condition.

Is this a rare vehicle and worth buying to restore?

please help me
    Welcome, it probably is a car built in South Africa and if I remember correctly it was the Glas body to which a BMW front was grafted. Try to get in contact with our member Willysjeep, he is from SA and has a lot of knowledge of the classic scene in SA.
    My advice would be to get hold of the car.

Henk is correct, the 1800 and 2000SA were South Africa only models using the Glas sedan body (not just the front clip). IIRC, they produced the model 1968-1970, a result of production efficiencies. BMW had recently aquired Glas and needed to make use of what materials remained. Boxy but fairly rare, if available reasonably and something you are interested in, buy it.
    Please post photos... would love to see some contemporary shots.
    Is it an automatic or manual?
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

Thread Information