Thread: Day time running lights

Day time running lights

This is a feature on some cars these days. What is up with that? I don't understand the concept of it.
    Back in the day if you wanted to run your lights during the day you just turned on the lights and there you go, you had day time running lights.
    Whats the deal with it now? I don't understand, it doesn't make any sens.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

if you mean foggies that people turn on during th eday, its been proven that these improve driver awareness of other cars and reduce accidents. i heard a rumour that here they may be mandatory or something soon.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Not the fog lights. The actual head lights. They have a feature on some cars to run them during the day if you want. But I do not understand why it's a feature because you can run your lights during the day anyway. Or did they stop making cars like that and now make day time running lights a feature you can get to pay for? I don't understand.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    Not the fog lights. The actual head lights. They have a feature on some cars to run them during the day if you want. But I do not understand why it's a feature because you can run your lights during the day anyway. Or did they stop making cars like that and now make day time running lights a feature you can get to pay for? I don't understand.
    there should be a difference.
    running lights are usually not as intense or orange (similar to the indicator) and they may or may not activate the rear lights aswell.
    on my car there is a setting for all off, corner (running) lights with rear lights and then normal headlights.

As far as I know, all Volvo's have this feature, due to laws in Sweden. The front lights are constantly on and the rears off until they are switched on when need be. I didn't know about this until recently when a friend of mine went by in his volvo during the day with his lights on. I rang him to tell him they were on and he told me all about it.
    He's not an authority on it obviously so we may be wrong.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!
    its something to do with your insurance. i for one hate them because running them uses up a bit more gas. that's just my opinion, for the reason that it wastes gas.
    but now to explain it...
    the insurance company gives you a break on the price if you "check this option", which will then permanently keep your headlights on, even in the day. yeah, you save a buck here or there on insurance, but you pay by getting less mpg, as it is, due to them causing the engine the need to supply more power for the electrical accessories in your car. this is what i've heard for years, and it hasn't changed. correct me if i'm wrong though.
    this is what its like in the U.S. due to insurance companies < (5tupid b@5t@rd5 !!! )
    Last edited by car_fiend; 10-25-2005 at 03:34 AM.
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

Well I've never heard it helps with insurance before, but from what I understand, daytime running lights are used for safty reasons. It helps other drivers become aware of traffic that they may not otherwise see. Even on a sunny day, cars can drive in less lit areas i.e. tunnels, shadded country roads, etc. By having the lights turn on automatically when the car is running, it doesn't matter if you forget to turn them on. It's just another safty feature that is there for your own good. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    This is a feature on some cars these days. What is up with that? I don't understand the concept of it.
    Back in the day if you wanted to run your lights during the day you just turned on the lights and there you go, you had day time running lights.
    Whats the deal with it now? I don't understand, it doesn't make any sens.
    Not only that,it uses more gas..
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thread Information