Thread: Dkw 3=6

Dkw 3=6

Three equals six! This simple mathematical equation greatly impressed the public. A three-cylinder two-stroke engine, since it has twice as many working strokes as a four-stroke engine, therefore benefits from a power flow as smooth as a six-cylinder four stroke. Installed in various prototypes by 1939, the war put a temporary halt to development of the three-cylinder DKW engine. In Düsseldorf and Ingolstadt, the Auto Union's new homes after 1945, the DKW 3=6 went into production in 1953 and became one of Germany's dream cars during the years of the 'economic miracle'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Three equals six! This simple mathematical equation greatly impressed the public. A three-cylinder two-stroke engine, since it has twice as many working strokes as a four-stroke engine, therefore benefits from a power flow as smooth as a six-cylinder four stroke. Installed in various prototypes by 1939, the war put a temporary halt to development of the three-cylinder DKW engine. In Düsseldorf and Ingolstadt, the Auto Union's new homes after 1945, the DKW 3=6 went into production in 1953 and became one of Germany's dream cars during the years of the 'economic miracle'.
    Are you guys trying to race each other?

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Are you guys trying to race each other?

Good idea! We got ourselves a challenge!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

here is a racing version, shown at the Technoclassica in Essen in 2004. Output about 85-90 BHP. Such a car, but less hot, also participated in this year's Tour Auto
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

the orange one is a Auto-Union 1000S Coupé, same car with different name and interieur I think.

I have only 4 1:18 diecast models. but three of them were posted this week.
    If anybody has hi-res pics of the '39 Auto-Union World Record Streamliner (based on Typ C I think) please post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Delmaster
    the orange one is a Auto-Union 1000S Coupé, same car with different name and interieur I think.

I have only 4 1:18 diecast models. but three of them were posted this week.
    If anybody has hi-res pics of the '39 Auto-Union World Record Streamliner (based on Typ C I think) please post them.
    I don't think this is a 1000S Coupe, that was posted elsewhere. It is just a two door version of the AU1000, they also came with four doors.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I don't think this is a 1000S Coupe, that was posted elsewhere. It is just a two door version of the AU1000, they also came with four doors.
    I have some more pix of the same orange car, and I have it cataloged as the 1000S Coupe as well. Doesn't mean much however, as I am now an AU expert, so if the my source was wrong, then this argument is null.

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    I have some more pix of the same orange car, and I have it cataloged as the 1000S Coupe as well. Doesn't mean much however, as I am now an AU expert, so if the my source was wrong, then this argument is null.
    I have checked and the same body style could be had as a cabriolet, a stationwagon, a two/four door coach and a pillarless hardtop, which was called Luxus Coupe. Probably that is what the orange car represents. The Coupe I was thinking of is actually the 1000 SP.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I have checked and the same body style could be had as a cabriolet, a stationwagon, a two/four door coach and a pillarless hardtop, which was called Luxus Coupe. Probably that is what the orange car represents. The Coupe I was thinking of is actually the 1000 SP.
    Duly noted

Type C Streamliner

Quote Originally Posted by Delmaster View Post

You mean this one? It's an Auto Union Type C Streamliner, but it's 1937. In 1939 AU had already D-Type racing (even since 1938). And, as far as i know, no streamliners were built using D-Type chassis. But maybe I'm wrong... One more: the C-Type Streamliner also took a part in some Grand Prix races, such as 1939 Avus.

Here are some pics. Sorry if this is not what you wanted.

By the way... was this a car in which Rosemeyer so tragically died in 1938?

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    You mean this one? It's an Auto Union Type C Streamliner, but it's 1937. In 1939 AU had already D-Type racing (even since 1938). And, as far as i know, no streamliners were built using D-Type chassis. But maybe I'm wrong... One more: the C-Type Streamliner also took a part in some Grand Prix races, such as 1939 Avus.

Here are some pics. Sorry if this is not what you wanted.

By the way... was this a car in which Rosemeyer so tragically died in 1938?
    Welcome to UCP, thanks for the pics.

You may be interested in this thread in the Hi-Res Hideout with more pics of the Streamliner - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=18363

And yes, Rosemeyer was killed in a car similar to this. According to this site the car in which Rosemeyer had his accident was actually somewhat modified with extra aerodynamic fairings, presumably for greater stability - http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/rose.htm

There is a drawing of what it was supposed to have looked like but I don't think I've ever seen photos of the actual car.

uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
    Welcome to UCP, thanks for the pics.

You may be interested in this thread in the Hi-Res Hideout with more pics of the Streamliner - http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=18363

And yes, Rosemeyer was killed in a car similar to this. According to this site the car in which Rosemeyer had his accident was actually somewhat modified with extra aerodynamic fairings, presumably for greater stability - http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/rose.htm

There is a drawing of what it was supposed to have looked like but I don't think I've ever seen photos of the actual car.
    Wow! Looks amazingly! Wish I could see the one like this. Or, who knows, drive But there's nothing strange saying that you have never seen any pics of this beauty (and, unfortunately, we will hardly ever see this one ), cause it could hardly be restored after such an accident. It was just a heap of metal, I think. And for those time I cannot imagine Auto Union men trying to restore this monster just "to keep it for the descendants" Though, they could take some shots before the event. Hmm... I think, I'm gonna search the web.

Trying to use the ground effect in such days was...eerrr..maybe even imprudently.

Greetings to you, too. UCP is great! Honestly
    Last edited by faksta; 07-02-2007 at 02:47 PM.

Got it!

Yes, what a luck! I think, I got the pics! Though they are not of an excellent quality. They are from kolumbus.fi too, have to be mentioned.
    It is really deeply upgraded one. What a pity for Audi museum And all of us...

Thread Information