Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing belt and water pump

Timing belt and water pump

A timing belt a lone for my car is $52 without a water pump on partsamerica.com It does not say if the water pump is included. They sell a water pump separately for like $80 with a lifetime warranty. I do not know if my cars water pump is driven by the timing belt like I read but it most likely is. I read that it is a good idea to change the water pump each time when the timing belt is changed. I cant do that because I cant afford the water pump but is that a good idea?

Does anybody have any good instructions on how to change a timing belt? On my car the timing belt has a cover and it's on the side of the engine, I guess like most cars. All I know is that I'll take the cover off, loosen the tensioner, take the timing belt off, put the new one on and than tighten the tensioner and I'm supposedly done. I do not know how the tensioner is tightened or how much I should tighten it. I do not know if I have to take anything else off the engine to change the timing belt. I hear from some people that there is other things they need to take off the engine and that is why it costs so much to get a timing belt replaced at a shop. A shop is out of the question because it costs too much.
    I also read that the tensioner is replaced each time with the timing belt. I cant find a tensioner. Should I replace the timing belt even though I cant find a tensioner?

They also have timing chains. Some expensive ones and some cheap. This one is $200 http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...number=1449841
    I cant afford that but is it better to have a timing chain. Are the only advantages over a belt noise, and durability?

This is for a 2000 Hyundai Elantra. Also needs an oil change soon, spark plugs, and maybe a fuel filter. All I can do myself except the spark plugs because I need some tools which I'll have to buy.
    Last edited by QBridge; 10-25-2005 at 01:08 PM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

The reason for doing the water pump with the timing belt is that a new tensioned belt will put extra stress on the water pump and cause it to leak/fail soon there after. So it makes sense to change both since labor cost of doing the pump isn't that much more. Timing belts are made to go 90-120K miles but if they fail in an interference engine, pistons can touch/damage the valves.

I haven't heard of modern timing belts failing so you may be able to wait and do them together. Still, no one wants to give this advice because if it fails then you are out an engine.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I don't know of a timeing belt that lasts 120k, nor of a car needing a new water pump along with it, many cars use proper tensions to keep the belt in the right place, and not many of those need changing often (a Land Rover Discovery is one that DOES need new tensioners though).

NEVER came across a car that recommends changing water pump at time of belt. That's just shitty manufacturing/cheap parts if they do.

NOW a GARAGE might recommend that if it takes LOTS of time to strip to replace belt and the water pumps are a known weakness. Like clutch slave cylinders in Ford Focus when changing a clutch. it's not that the slave is likely to leak but the effort to get in justifies spending the £20 to replace the slave while in there. Otherwise in another 5 or 6 years you might to replace it.
    Lots of cars have funny things like that that an experienced mechanic will suggest.

If you're tight on cash, you shouldn't HAVE to unless as I say the car really is a cheap collection of cheap parts Yeah Hyundai ... you're probably right
    Sorriy I can't give specific advice on that model
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I don't know if the car needs the water pump changed with the belt. I read some cars do. I'll have to look in the manual if it talks about it.

What is the typical procedure for replacing a timing belt? Is it like I described it? Isn't it just replacing the belt or is it more surgical? What about this tensioner(s). Is there more than one?
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    I don't know if the car needs the water pump changed with the belt. I read some cars do. I'll have to look in the manual if it talks about it.

What is the typical procedure for replacing a timing belt? Is it like I described it? Isn't it just replacing the belt or is it more surgical? What about this tensioner(s). Is there more than one?
    Based on the general answers you're getting here I would suggest going to a Hyundai Forum for specific advice. Good luck.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I looked around and I found this Hyundai part store. Very expensive parts on there. I'm starting to think they sell the cars cheap and than make back the money on parts. A timing belt is $71 at that store. Idler(s) $28. Tensioner(s) $39. 4 different gaskets that come around $10. They have some diagrams on there showing which parts went where and I have to say that it looks difficult.
    Right now it does not look like I'll be changing any timing belt any time soon.

I have one more question.
    Do the gaskets need replacing also with every belt change?

I found a Hyundai forum and I have to say that I'm ashamed. They rice Hyundais. A Hyundai is not even wordy for ricing up. Its good for driving until it needs repairs and than driving it straight to a junk yard hahahah so why even buy a Hyundai over a Honda or Toyota.
    Last edited by QBridge; 10-25-2005 at 11:26 PM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

Haha, Hyundia parts expensive?

Half a year ago I had to spend over a grand to get my timing belt changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Haha, Hyundia parts expensive?

Half a year ago I had to spend over a grand to get my timing belt changed.
    A Honda timing belt is $17 while one for a Hyundai is 50 to 72.
    What kind of car you have? Is it a Porsche? I remember reading you had a Porsche somewhere.

I just read that replacing other belts together with the water pump is required. The car has about 3 other belts other than the timing belt and they all cost about $20 each. Not only that but I might need to flush out the coolant and I know it's a pain to fill that shit back up.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

You don't need to replace the other belts until they get REALLY worn, they are only there to drive air-con/water/oil and other bits that don't need to work in perfect harmony.

They are worn. I had to tighten one belt today because it was making noise and after it made more noise even though it had good tension in it. I have to replace all of them. 3 belts total. The car wasn't maintained at all. All it had was oil changes and tires.
    Would this be good to spray/put on the belts? http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...egorycode=3241
    I'm guessing it wont be good for a timing belt because it would make it slip?
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -

A timing belt will never slip because of its shape:

_/\_/\_/\_/\_ rather than just flat. It will, however, eventually break, which may or may not be a major problem to fix (depending on whether or not it is an "interference" engine.

If you are getting everything taken apart, it might be a wise idea to have them at least check the water pump and replace it if necessary. If it does need to be replaced, having it done at the time will most likely save a lot of money in labour

Very important to change the timing belt is to align the brand and the voltages are correct. It is like changing the fan belt. Get it wrong and could cause thousands of damage to a modern engine. if your water pump is leaking it needs to be repair soon so that it could not damage a lot..

Last edited by csl177; 10-07-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Spam link in signature

Wait... voltages?!? Besides the spam sig, that's some shite associated with timing belt R&R.
    Never own more cars than you can keep charged batteries in...

I got the water pump replaced on my starlet when the timing belt was done,idler and tensioner was replaced also as there was no previous service history or how hard the car was driven.Plus the car is 18 years old!
    It was recommended to change the water pump.I didn't ask why.But have a look at your water pump,if it looks bad,the fins have rust or are eaten away (I've seen some like that!) then just replace it.At least one less thing to replace down the line.

Anyway the timing belt cannot slip,its got vee grooves in it that sit in the teeth of the gears.Just checking the timing marks are in alignment.
    That noisy belt would be the alternator?Usually is..I've replaced that too because it was worn and made noises.But don't think there really is any need to replace the other belt unless its worn.

Thread Information