Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fiat Abarth 1000 OT

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    This weekend I've been at Porto for the 1st Boavista race weekend including WTCC and all that, and making a report for UCP. I went on my regular 850 Coupé series one (same body as the OT's) and a spanish gentleman who seemed to be in a hurry stopped near me and said: "Last year I was at a show in France and there was this ultra-rare OT 2000 for sale! God the car is so beautiful! Congrats on your's! Bye!"
    Nice! Yours is a beaut (as they say in Australia)!
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Hi McReis,

The 2000OT for sale in France is probably the one now for sale in Belgium. To be honest that car is actually a replica fitted with a Fiat Ritmo or Fiat 124 based engine. The base for this car is a 1300/124 abarth, so the Abarth paperwork still says Abarth and not Fiat.....Some clever former owner!

Only one or two 2000OT's were actually produced in the 850 Coupe body shell. There is a white one in Italy and a red one in Germany.

Nice 850 by the way. I just love the Type 1 bodystyle!

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse View Post
    Hi McReis,

The 2000OT for sale in France is probably the one now for sale in Belgium. To be honest that car is actually a replica fitted with a Fiat Ritmo or Fiat 124 based engine. The base for this car is a 1300/124 abarth, so the Abarth paperwork still says Abarth and not Fiat.....Some clever former owner!

Only one or two 2000OT's were actually produced in the 850 Coupe body shell. There is a white one in Italy and a red one in Germany.

Nice 850 by the way. I just love the Type 1 bodystyle!

Alex
    Since I know that Guy Moerenhaut, in Belgium, is building them from 850 series I shells, I did ask the spanish gentleman if it was an original. He said yes, but I wasn't really convinced. However, he mentioned a price tag that was schoking for a replica. But since many schoking things are done involving old Fiats and Abarth replicas, you may be right.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Is that you "Triumph"?

I love that little car. Wish we had more of them on this side of the pond.

Mike

Alex Corse

I did have a 1300cc conversion in my 850, and it was infact a modified 1200cc 124 push rod unit. However my car was prepaired by PBS not Abarth. In my opinion, the conversion is not streetable as the 850 clutch would "shatter" and overheating caused alternator failures.
    After several attempts to correct these issues, I finally pulled the drive train and installed a VW 1800cc motor and transaxle.

The "shattering" clutch is rather usual on this cars even in standard condition. My series 1 850 Coupe shows that shatter whenever you get the cluctch/gas balance slightly wrong.
    I'm not a fan of the VW engine solution, but I believe it might be fast.

Sorry I ment "chatter"
    I felt that the 1300cc motor was just too much for the 850 stock clutch.
    I looked to keep an Italian motor the $ required to get 100+HP is much higher.

1000 Ot - Otr

Hi, have anybody a picture of original 1000 OT or OTR engine ?
    Appreciate any picture.

here's an OTR

Hi 850,

Here's a photo of a 1000 OTR engine. Pretty damn cool!

Eric, San Diego
    Attached Images Attached Images

and another

This one may be a bigger image.

Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just HAD to dig up this old thread.....the red " 2000OT coupe" mentioned earlier is now being offered again on multiple websites as a genuine Abarth. GMR belgium had the car for sale for 25000 Euro's. It then went to Spain to Iresa where it has since been for sale.
    A guy in Switzerland is now offering the same car for 45.500 Euro's.

In a previous post I mentioned that the car is a replica 2000OT based on a genuine Abarth 1300/124, but now that the paperwork is also displayed along with the sale there seems to be something very wrong. The car has a chassis (Fiat) number from a 1969 Fiat 850 coupe....while the bodywork is of an " early" 850 which was built until march 1968

42,5K is very cheap if it was a genuine 2000OT....probably 125K -200K would be more reasonable.....but 42,5 is very expensive if it was a real 1300/124......and even more expensive if it's just a 850 coupe....!

In a previous post I wrote that only two 2000OT coupes were initially built by Abarth, but I do have to correct this. At least three were built. One is currently in the " Abarth gallery" in Japan, one in the Aumueller collection in Germany and one in the Moell collection in Switzerland.

So please...if you have seen the car for sale and you are considering purchasing it, please double check everything!
    Last edited by Alex_Corse; 02-09-2010 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks for posting. Indeed a genuine 2000 OT (5-6 built?) would be worth much much more. But I guess that somebody seriously interested in buying one, would have done his homework, and not fall into this obvious trap.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information