Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At last, Renault could be producing a replacement Alpine Berlinette (A110)

At last, Renault could be producing a replacement Alpine ??

OK, it's only a concept so far, but it's beautiful

Patrick le Quément, Renault Design manager, declared in a magazine, he will not quit Renault without designing a car in the spirit of the famous Berlinette...

Renault has announced a new concept car - Wind.
    It will be introduced at the Geneva Car Exhibition 2004.

And this car seems to be very exciting !

2+1 roadster with a streamlined design and lively performance
    850 Kg
    simple and light interior
    a well known engine (4 cylinder 2.0 136 bhp)

Some of the design shares Nissan 350Z ideas and parts.

I hope they put an Alpine badge back on the car to resurrect one of the greatest names in sportscars
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-17-2004 at 01:15 PM.

I don't understand the reference to the A110, it never was a drop top, and this concept doesn't do the reference justice.

I do agree the Alpine name should be revived.

Some years ago illustrator Mark Stehrenberger made a drawing of a new A110 with retro styling to the original, it looked very good. I believe that was in Road and Track magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia
    I don't understand the reference to the A110, it never was a drop top
    Yes it was, from 63 to 69
    And the 108 had similar lines and was also available drop-top in 61/62.
    I caused the confusion by saying Berlinette which was ONLY hardtop, but the A110 was available as both - I've changed the title
    and this concept doesn't do the reference justice.
    True, it would be nicer if it was rear-engine and RWD.
    But some of the lines, have similarities to the small Alpine and those that followed.
    AND, it's small, lightweight and hopefully drives well
    I do agree the Alpine name should be revived.
    Some years ago illustrator Mark Stehrenberger made a drawing of a new A110 with retro styling to the original, it looked very good. I believe that was in Road and Track magazine.
    There was also a competition in France - mainly driven by the Alpine-Renault clubs for a new Berlinette. There were many, beautiful designs offered. Did the drawing come from that ? I'll try to find them in my collection
    For those interested, the Renault press release is now up at http://alpinerenault.free.fr/magazin...esentation.pdf
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-17-2004 at 09:22 AM.

Thanks for the info on the A110 Cabriolet, the concept makes more since in that respect.

I like the post 1970 A110's best.

Mark works for Road and Track so I think his illustration was in their article, not part of a competition.

More images from launch pack
    Attached Images Attached Images

it seems to be a nice car without a big engine but enough to take exciting speeds

Even if I do my extreme best I can't find few attractions originating from this car. May be I'll have a different opinion next week when I have seen the real thing but I doubt it. The Spyder from the mid nineties would have been a much more worthy of carrying the name Alpine, but at that time the killing of the brand was still too recent or hadn't it even taken place?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    May be I'll have a different opinion next week when I have seen the real thing but I doubt it.

Erm.... this car is from last years Geneva Autosalon, so you won't see it there this year
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

do you guys know if this car is going hit the U.S market?
    Last edited by QUATTRO MAN; 02-22-2005 at 03:08 PM.
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I think that it looks nice. Although the rear reminds me of a Solstice.

WOW.

My only beef is the windscreen. It looks like the design team was tired and wanted to finish up and just slapped that one on.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    do you guys know if this car is going hit U.S market?
    Since Renault doesn't have dealerships at the moment in the US, I doubt it. But Renault does have a large chain of dealerships in Mexico, so if you want one bad enough; you could by it in Mexico and import it to the US
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Since Renault doesn't have dealerships at the moment in the US, I doubt it. But Renault does have a large chain of dealerships in Mexico, so if you want one bad enough; you could by it in Mexico and import it to the US
    Would you be able to federalize it? Or would you have to bring it in on a show-car/race car only title? If so, I think you're limited to 5000 miles annually if at all.

I don't like the concept. Can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't grab me.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    Would you be able to federalize it? Or would you have to bring it in on a show-car/race car only title? If so, I think you're limited to 5000 miles annually if at all.

I don't like the concept. Can't put my finger on it, but it doesn't grab me.
    That's a good question, I'm outside the US right now, but I guess you could ask the Department of Transportation what the requirements would be. I believe there is an agreement between Mexico and the US that allows all new cars to be imported back and forth between the two coutries with no problems. But it's a good idea to make sure beforehand
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

The rumours - of which there are many - is that this will share platform and engine with the 350Z. So approvals may not be too difficult.

The ownership of Nissan also gives Renault a route into the US sales channel without having to invest in a new chain. They coudl just double-brand some of their big dealerships !!

I hope this ISN'T the much rumoured return of the Alpine name. it needs rear engine, RWD to deserve the Alpine logo
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information