Performance figures
    Power: 340 bhp / 253.6 kW @ 5200 rpm
    BHP/Liter: 60.0
    Torque: 488 Nm / 359.9 ft lbs @ 4000 rpm
    Power to weight ratio: 0.21 bhp/kg
    Top Speed: 161.6 mph / 260.0 km/h
    0-60 mph Acceleration: 5.90 s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lfb666; 02-18-2004 at 03:36 PM.
    Fasten seat belt while seated

i cant decide!!! :confused:

while i would love the superior performance of the gto, it would be nice to be the only one in town with a superiorly crafted austrailian car

The Pontiac GTO is a rebadged Monaro with a different exhaust, different front and rear plastic, some change sto the interior ( not least Left hand drive), different wheels. The fuel tanks has been moved in front of the rear axle as per US requirements. It is built here in little old Adelaide South Australia on the same line as the Monaro and gos to HBD (Holden By Design), on the same site to have the US bits added. It is more powerful than the standard CV8. We do however get a HSV ( a Holden endorsed 3 party manufacturer) GTS Version with a 300KW Calloway motor and various other upgrades including brakes and a 270kw All wheel drive version the ,Coupe4.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

i was gunna say, theres a fair few errors in the original info but crisis rectified most of them. we get 245kw, 260kw, 270kw AWD and 300kw Monaro's here compared to the 260kw GTO but still based on the american performance times of the GTO it would almost be as fast as the 300kw coupe. the GTO is also heavier than the CV8 as holden built a steel frame around the relocated fuel tank
    I am the Stig

Out of those two I would have the Pontiac, but as I live in New Zealand i've had the fortune to see a HSV Monaro GTS which is definitly the meanest looking Monaro. Lets see if Pontiac can come up with something that could rival that without making the car look like a mobile tubberware factory.

well I personally would only go for the pontiac if i wanted the better sound. the other day whilst at my bus stop in the morning waiting for the school bus, this black GTS coupe came speeding past and it sounded like it was doing some pretty decent revs, yet the exhaust note sounded like the normal V6 but perhaps with a better exhaust....
    I am the Stig

I've seen the small trunk/boot on the GTO. I'm wondering where the gastank is on the Monaro?

Quote Originally Posted by NedKelly
    I've seen the small trunk/boot on the GTO. I'm wondering where the gastank is on the Monaro?
    Under the boot behind the diff.

rumour is though for the VZ Monaro, Australia will adopt the US fuel tank with the metal cage around it and the US spec dual exhaust with a tip either side and no crossover pipe i believe.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    rumour is though for the VZ Monaro, Australia will adopt the US fuel tank with the metal cage around it and the US spec dual exhaust with a tip either side and no crossover pipe i believe.
    I didnt know that there would be a VZ Monaro. I will be happy to see Holden retain a coupe.

well its all in the latest motor magazine, it also might get a slight visual upgrade. well the monaro definately wouldnt have lasted till VE as an Australian only model but the combination of it being exported to the middle east and now to America as the GTO, its more affordable to keep around which is also why a convertible version is on the cards for VE
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    well its all in the latest motor magazine, it also might get a slight visual upgrade. well the monaro definately wouldnt have lasted till VE as an Australian only model but the combination of it being exported to the middle east and now to America as the GTO, its more affordable to keep around which is also why a convertible version is on the cards for VE
    I hate Motor magazine and try to avoid it where possible. May have to relent and have a look though. A reasonably priced ( what price is reasonable for a large rear wheel drive 250kw V8 convertible ?) would be an interesting test of the market.

well the GTO is priced just below the 330ci so you would think a convertible GTO would be priced accordingly compared to a 330 convertible. the monaro would be the equivalent of about $AUD10K more so theres some rough figures i guess. if the 350z is anythign to go by though, they could charge almost $10K more for the convertible
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I hate Motor magazine and try to avoid it where possible. May have to relent and have a look though. A reasonably priced ( what price is reasonable for a large rear wheel drive 250kw V8 convertible ?) would be an interesting test of the market.
    Any particular reason for hating Motor magazine? Except for something of an over emphasis on Fords/Holdens and a lack of many vehicles I can actually afford, I find the articles humourous and imformative in a light weight kind of way. However, I think Wheels is streets ahead, with a greater range and depth of articles and much better writing. Neither match CAR or EVO, though.

And best out of GTO/Monaro? There's no real difference except a nose job. I'd have either...

its common knowledge between myself, crisis and falc that both wheels and motor are just a pack of whingers that keep picking faults at all the cars and can't bloody make their mind up about anything. im a regular reader of wheel though but i personally think theyre only better because unlike motor, they dont think every car has to be rated on how fast it is.

well theres more than just an ugly nose job setting the GTO from the Monaro. the GTO has 15kw more, a better breathing exhaust, a relocated fuel tank and smaller wheels. the exhaust also has one tip on either side unlike the Monaro's twin exhaust grouped together on the left
    I am the Stig

Thread Information