Thread: Mercedes-Benz G-Class: Legendary Off-Roader will remain part of the Mercedes product

Mercedes-Benz G-Class: Legendary Off-Roader will remain part of the Mercedes product

Stuttgart/Graz, Nov 11, 2005
    DaimlerChrysler will continue to produce its “classic off-roader” in the coming years. On behalf of Mercedes-Benz, the company Magna Steyr has manufactured over 185,000 units of the legendary G-Class in Graz, Austria, since 1979. The car continues to be very popular among customers, and it has been part of the Mercedes product lineup for the past 26 years.
    The Mercedes-Benz E-Class 4MATIC, which Magna Steyr in Graz has also been building since 1996, will be manufactured instead at the DaimlerChrysler plant in Sindelfingen from early 2007. “By continuing to produce the G-Class in Graz and manufacturing all E-Class variants at our main plant in Sindelfingen from 2007, we have found a viable solution for both partner,” explains Dr. Dieter Zetsche, DaimlerChrysler Board of Management member and head of the Mercedes Car Group. “We are delighted that we can continue our successful and long-standing cooperation with Magna Steyr.”

With its rugged technology and outstanding off-road capabilities, the G-Class has set standards from the very start. And it is equipped with the industry’s most effective drive and driving safety systems, combining permanent all-wheel drive with the 4ETS electronic traction system and three differential locks that are activated when needed.

The vehicle’s striking shape, which has remained nearly unchanged over a period of almost three decades, has made the “G” a design classic with cult status. Together with its legendary ruggedness, the off-roader’s design has contributed most to its popularity. “Mercedes-Benz wrote automotive history by always ensuring that the G-Class remained state of-the-art over the past 26 years, and it will continue to offer its customers the very latest technology in the future,” says Zetsche.
    Well, this is a relieve to me... Such a cool car...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

thats really good man I hope the shape never changes its not a very goodlooking car but it has lots of style
    ________
    LIVE SEX
    Last edited by hec16; 08-20-2011 at 08:44 PM.

I love this old warrior. I have seen pics of a replacement. Sadly, it looks very modern. A large M-class type look.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by thecarconnection.com
    Daimler-Chrysler's biggest off-roader, the Mercedes G-Class, will get a replacement in the 2007 model year in North America.

The current G has been on the market an incredible 25 years. Again and again it was updated by adding electronic luxury like power windows, power steering, air-conditioning, and even airbags. Inside, the plain ute was updated with polished wood panelling and leather seats. The most expensive is the current AMG version, which sells surprisingly well these days, in particular in the United States.

Now, however, Daimler-Chrysler has finally planned to end the current G's career. A replacement will be released in 2006.

Like the new Mercedes ML and R-Class, which were shown at the Detroit auto show last week, the next G-Class will be produced in the United States at the Alabama DaimlerChrysler plant.

Power will come from two diesels: a 231-hp V-6 and a 300-hp V-8. Two new V-8 gas engines - a 326-hp 4.6-liter and a 408-hp, 5.5-liter - will be available. The AMG version is rumored to deliver 460 hp.

In order not to disappoint fans of the rugged 4x4, Daimler Chrysler has developed a special top-of-the-line off-road package for the new G.
    Looks like new G-class is for the U.S. only. Initially?

EDIT 2: Pictured below is not a G-class replacement but a new model, GL-class.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 11-13-2005 at 11:22 PM. Reason: additional info.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

That's disgusting...

get the old one while the gettin's good!

The G55 AMG in the second pic is nice, although I would rather have it with the bumper and light guards. Long live the military suv!

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    I love this old warrior. I have seen pics of a replacement. Sadly, it looks very modern. A large M-class type look.

EDIT:

Looks like new G-class is for the U.S. only. Initially?
    That's not the G-class it's the GL-class, they're going to keep the current G-class.
    "Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." -Warren Buffett

hooray, Brabus G-Class's for all!

I like this G-Class,it's a little bit squared but better than the Hummer.
    Bet ya didn't know this : Brad Pitt owns one,it's a G500.
    ALFA ROMEO-Poetry In Motion

I love the old G-Class, hope it doesnt end up like that pic.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

i like it too...but it was on midnight bluc 3: dub edition...a game full of chrome..
    you can pimp your g-class...
    lol
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by GT F1
    That's not the G-class it's the GL-class, they're going to keep the current G-class.
    thecarconnection article I quoted is dated and clearly in it the speculation was that it was the replacement. You are correct, it's the new GL-class. Based on a lenghtened ML-class platform, also share with the new R-class. Will be built in the same factory as its platform mates and not replacing the true G-class.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Waht a relieve. That car is one of the SUVs I love most.

And in DUB, well... I regretted pimping my G55... Never mind, I'll sell it and get a brand new one again.
    UCP's FIRST proud owner of a Nokia N70.
    UCP's HIM and Avenged Sevenfold fan.
    UCP's watch expert.

the g class its one of the best styles ive seen, totaly for kind of safari altought i would never take it to one, still hope mercedes dosnt changes the style for that SUV ive just seen like 4 in my life in here, kind of expensive stiill excelent SUV!..

Thread Information