Thread: Volvo!

Volvo!

Hey all, i drive a brick like little volvo 850 Glt. Its a 96, and isnt a turbo. Im looking to autocross, and would like to know what mods i should consider adding, and if possible, any places i can get them. All your help is appreciated! thanks!

Err... perhaps not the answer you want; but I severely recommend buying a different car. Before you get miffed my reasons are;

Expensive parts
    Unusual choice therefore performance parts will be limited
    HEAVY car; you will struggle to get your weight down

The list could go on I'm afraid . . .

GOODLUCK ANYWAY

Well im kinda only 18, and choices are limited to me, as im off to college the car is well suited for carrying me around the place. On top of that, id be in an autocross division with other heavy cars like mine, so that really isnt an issue as much as it would be if i was strictly touring racing, Its actually not that bad a car when you get used to it. I have a book on a few minor things i can do, but im planning on keeping the car a long time, so id like some more major things i can add to the list, maybe a turbo upgrade, or an exhaust? suspension too...i dont know. lol. Anyways thanks, keep the advice comin ppl!

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking the Volvo.

I'm slightly more worried now, competing in a daily driver could be even more problematic. As a point take a wander round a parts store near you. Now start adding up the cost of your consumables that you WILL use racing.

Look at the following prices;

Brake pads
    Brake disks
    clutch plates
    TYRES

Your car will need these replacing constantly.
    It may seem odd to you, but your better choice might be to save up for a second car. (A light one)
    If you are only doing this for a bit of a laugh I recommend getting a complete shed of a car and doing up the engine, spending some time getting the suspension working. There is an OLD RWD(British C plate) shed of a sierra going around my area with a cosworth engine in it. It routinely trounces much faster looking machinery. The look on the competitions faces is quite amusing.

Do you have the lpt (light pressure turbo) version, or the n/a. If it's an N/A, then I highly suggest you look into selling the car, and getting an 850 turbo/t-5 with the hpt (high pressure turbo) to take it's place. With a turbo then you'll be working with some power to actually mod your car well. I am not too sure, but I think in 96, the glt 850's had the lpt. If you have the lpt, then you can mod the car and make it faster. I was not planning on staying here too long, because I am not too big on the internet, but if you hit me back, I will try to help you out with the brick. My friend has one, and I love it.

Originally posted by cobrapower
    Well im kinda only 18, and choices are limited to me, as im off to college the car is well suited for carrying me around the place. On top of that, id be in an autocross division with other heavy cars like mine, so that really isnt an issue as much as it would be if i was strictly touring racing, Its actually not that bad a car when you get used to it. I have a book on a few minor things i can do, but im planning on keeping the car a long time, so id like some more major things i can add to the list, maybe a turbo upgrade, or an exhaust? suspension too...i dont know. lol. Anyways thanks, keep the advice comin ppl!
    Where my friend is going to get high quality aftermarket Volvo parts...

ipdusa.com

Yeah, it is the lpt version. Thanks, any help would be useful with that. Thanks!
    "No Rice!"-Me
    "All throttle, No bottle!"-my racing team motto
    "I hate the smell of exhaust, thats why i never lose!" My friend dick, right before i whomped him in my fathers cobra!

It's to my understanding that the lpt engines did not come out until 1997.

Then i dont know what the deal is, cause the car has a turbo on it, i checked it myself. Aside from that i found a hook up for a new turbo gague. anyways thanks for the help
    "No Rice!"-Me
    "All throttle, No bottle!"-my racing team motto
    "I hate the smell of exhaust, thats why i never lose!" My friend dick, right before i whomped him in my fathers cobra!

Thread Information