Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel of the Future

Cedric, you could have saved yourself a couple of hours and just written something like this;

Please leave me and my car alone, we're so small we don't make any impact..
    OH! look at America they're worse than me ...I'm responsible because I RECYCLE!!!

See? I wrote what you said with like 1/10th the words.

Exactly, leave me and my car alone. Like Jeremy Clarkson once said: Cars aren't bad, cars are cool!
    If the genuine aficionados were the only ones still driving on fuel, there would be no impact.
    I also contribute to the environment in a positive way, because I recycle.
    Your argument: you drive, so you cause harm to others, you're selfish and what you do should be stopped. Do what is also good for other people, that was introduced by Bentham, or John Locke? Well, it's a liberal slogan readily used an abused by anyone who wants to make a point. that together with "won't someone please think of the children" will make the lesser-informed yield to anti-everything (cars, smoking, ...) discoursetime and again. I will not stand for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    If the genuine aficionados were the only ones still driving on fuel, there would be no impact.
    BWAAAHAHAHAHA!
    aficionados is a euphemism for what? the rich? the powerful? the privileged
    Or is it going to be an honour system? "please apply only if you are a true aficianado, ordinary enthusiasts please take a copy of Gran Turismo on your way out"

I also contribute to the environment in a positive way, because I recycle.

That's like saying that you help a rabbit by only cutting off one paw instead of two.
    Newsflash greenthumb, recycling doesn't put a tree back in the ground or suck the chemicals and fuel burnt producing whatever out of the air and groundwater.

you drive, so you cause harm to others, you're selfish and what you do should be stopped.
    You are close, you neglected unnecessary from the driving bit.
    A shrewd move on your part.
    Do what is also good for other people, that was introduced by Bentham, or John Locke? Well, it's a liberal slogan readily used an abused by anyone who wants to make a point.
    Bentham? how old do you think I am son?
    Besides, I don't need to go running to the library for some stock slogan with which to fly on my banner.
    The logic of this is readily apparant, if you are doing something that is harmful and you don't need to do it, then doing so for the pleasure is selfish and counter-productive.
    I know you aren't using Liberal as a slur itself, that is an American republican tactic. I'd be honoured to be considered liberal, they took us out of the dark ages.
    that together with "won't someone please think of the children" will make the lesser-informed yield to anti-everything (cars, smoking, ...) discoursetime and again. I will not stand for that.
    "Lesser informed" ..'more self centered", I won't split hairs with what you choose to call it.
    Whatever lets you look in the mirror without cringing.

You are seriously getting on my nerves pal with your arrogant attitude. If you were a true liberal you would have some respect for other people's hobbies and passions. You wouldnt subdue anything that doesn't suit you personally. Don't forget that many people share my thoughts, and if you think you can make the internal combustion engine redundant, think again, it'll be a hard a nut to crack.
    And genuine aficionados is totally not an equivalent for the truly rich and powerful, it has nothing to do with wealth (although in Europe those who aren't well to do and who are real aficionados cannot pay the fuel bills anymore, a trend I seriously regret).
    And if cars are not to be driven unnecessarily according to you, many an aficionado's life will be of less quality.

may be you can ask why he posted this?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=20609

"I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

seems to me this fellow is a stirrer. Pretending to be an aficionado, but actually a subversive element on UCP, quelle honte.

I am not against electrical cars, although I would like to see the survival of some cars with internal combustion engines. If they are limited in number they will NOT be harmful! I am not telling a sob story here, cars are about passion for some, I am very sorry, perhaps we'd all be better off if Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler had never introduced them at all!
    Possibly better off as more research would have gone into making the electric cars of the day - they PRE-dated IC cars - more efficient
    If I had a passion for the research and devices that stemmed from Madame Curie's work then would you be so willing to let met carry a lump of Radium around and to use it to make me "healthier" ? At the same time killing mane around - and the user !!! See http://www.mtn.org/quack/devices/radium.htm if school science doesnt' cover these topics anymore
    In addition, if gases are so harmful, how come all those racing drivers of the 50s and 60s, the lucky ones that weren't killed, have lived well into their 80s or 90s? they weren't killed because of being exposed to the wakes of cars that blackened your face.
    Because MOST of them died in racing accidents !!!
    Where's the evidence that the exposure DIDN'T inmpact their life expectancy. I've friends who work in a cracker plant. The incidence of death in their 60s is MUCH higher
    And don't get me started about all those forest fires (which are so much more harmful to the environment than a bunch of sports cars with internal combustion engines), and what about the countries that don't give a damn about environmental issues, ... There's lots of work for you to do, and you'd better begin telling them off rather than people who mean well, and who enjoy cars just for the fun of it, the looks of it, the sound and yes, maybe the smell even.
    Agreed and I hope he DOES do that "lot of work".
    We ALL should educate and learn

Re the "sound", then easily recreated using in-car speakers. Lotus demonstrated it decades ago. The feel of driving - if you want clutch and surge from gear change then that can equally be accomodated and may well be done for those "afficionados". But drivers didnt' cry over the loss of the more technical aspects of double-de-clutching on gear changes befor eth edays of synchromesh. You'll find that when it changes we'll change along with it.

I dont' think anyone is saying BAN petrol cars, but we DO have to be more realistic. We can't stop natural disasters and without treaties like Kyoto we can't stop ecological rape, but claiming a right as an individual to pollute is VERY dangerous as the other 6 1/2 billion will make the same claim and we're sunk
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Henk
    may be you can ask why he posted this?

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=20609
    Henk you linked page 1, my 996, M5 and F430 aren't until page 6.
    seems to me this fellow is a stirrer.
    oh NO! I've been found out!
    Yes Ced, I was stirring the pot with both hands on the spoon.

I didn't intend for it to go on like this but all of your arguments were so horrifically awful I couldn't resist.
    Watching you try to make a structured defense was like seeing a train de-rail, roll down a hill and explode then the occupants rising as zombies to maurade the lands.
    It was that bad.

I love cars, it's what got me interested in engineering in the first place, but when Ced started coming up with "If only genuine aficianados drove there would be no problem" All of my b*llocks detectors went off at once.
    It's like what Matra and I said earlier, It's fine for you and I to drive all we like because we've had the luck of being born rich (compared to the vast majority of the world), but what if everyone wanted to do what we do?
    We haven't done anything to earn that right, it's just a liberty we take.

Oh, and Cedric, I wasn't being arrogant I was being righteous. It's far more arrogant to hold to the position that you have the right ot do something simply because you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    Henk you linked page 1, my 996, M5 and F430 aren't until page 6.
    I use the option to show the latest post in the forum first. Saves me a lot of toggling down....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Maybe we'd be better off if all of us stopped driving, and you too P4g4nite, driving your big Beamer.

And I am not sure if 6/12 billion people actually wanna drive sports cars, even if they had the opportunity to.

Quote Originally Posted by Henk
    I use the option to show the latest post in the forum first. Saves me a lot of toggling down....
    Spiffy!
    I don't know that I'd be able to afford all those cars even with a lottery win, ours aren't that much in Australia with the tiny population we have.
    Maybe we'd be better off if all of us stopped driving, and you too P4g4nite, driving your big Beamer.
    LOL "If I can't drive for fun then nobody should be able to drive, even for practical reasons"
    The Bimmer has garaged for the past month due to a dodgy air sensor I've been putting about in a 4cyl Magna.
    And I am not sure if 6/12 billion people actually wanna drive sports cars, even if they had the opportunity to.
    I'm not worried that everyone will do exactly what you want to do, I'm saying that if everyone had the "It's not harmful if I enjoy it enough" attitude we'd be stuffed in no time.
    It's not just the driving, it's the whole attitude.

Not all people who drive are car fanatics who need to get some fix once in a while. most people just use cars as a means of transport. and if those people all drove electrical, and just a bunch of car crazy guys would keep on driving/racing some ordinary engined cars (and use eco-friendly cars for commuting), pollution would be reduced greatly. I totally wouldn't mind driving electrical for commuting or for shopping or whatever, but getting your fix now and then (even if it were just on the track) from a thumping 4-cyl, a bellowing V8, or a screaming V12 would be nice, and I don't think you would disagree on that.
    And fuel will become so expensive eventually, the internal combustion engine will probably be confined to infrequent driving anyway. be glad you live in Australia, I don't know how much a litre of fuel costs there (I'd be glad to know), cos in Western Europe fuel prices are through the roof. Where I live 11% of the people have cut down on their driving (which is reportedly extremely favourable to the environment). If you lived here, you might have to stop driving alltogether, like me .
    And I don't know what's wrong with my attitude from a car lover's point of view: I say alternative fuels are OK, but keep some ordinary fuel available for the classic & sports cars. They only make up a small percentage of the total fleet of cars in the world. I find that a very realistic attitude that would meet everyone's needs.

Producing electricity for electric cars would produce the same amount of pollution

Not all people who drive are car fanatics who need to get some fix once in a while.
    OK, you can stop substituting a want for a "need". Needs are food, shelter, water that sort of thing.
    A shortage of track days isn't killing 20 000 African children each day.
    most people just use cars as a means of transport. and if those people all drove electrical, and just a bunch of car crazy guys would keep on driving/racing some ordinary engined cars (and use eco-friendly cars for commuting), pollution would be reduced greatly.
    Poolution would be reduced greatly, by the efforts of other people, not aided by those who still want to keep driving.
    Why should everyone else pick up your slack?
    And fuel will become so expensive eventually, the internal combustion engine will probably be confined to infrequent driving anyway. be glad you live in Australia, I don't know how much a litre of fuel costs there (I'd be glad to know), cos in Western Europe fuel prices are through the roof.
    Here it is $1.30-40/L (Australian) so about 85 Euros/L.
    Be glad I live in Australia? I am, but not when it comes to cost effective motor transport. Let me tell you about how it is here.
    I live between Sydney and Melbourne, about 500km from either. Where I live I don't have to option of public transport and it is a heck of a long way to anywhere. If you don't have a car here, you are having a very tough time.
    If you lived here, you might have to stop driving alltogether, like me .
    I'm not rich, so maybe I would. If I could get by without I'd seriously consider it.
    And I don't know what's wrong with my attitude from a car lover's point of view: I say alternative fuels are OK, but keep some ordinary fuel available for the classic & sports cars. They only make up a small percentage of the total fleet of cars in the world. I find that a very realistic attitude that would meet everyone's needs.
    Sure there's nothing wrong with it from that POV, there's nothing wrong with violent home invasions from a burgler alarm salesman's POV either.
    What you propose will probably occur, but only for the rich. In just the same way that you and I don't wear fur, most Japanese can't get whale meat and the people dying because they must drink from dirty, polluted sources can't play golf on courses watered with clean, potable (drinkable) water.

Quote Originally Posted by zytek
    Producing electricity for electric cars would produce the same amount of pollution
    Really? then you can perhaps explain the hidden, toxic evils of solar energy collection and wind turbines?

Thread Information