Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Fuel of the Future

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite
    Really? then you can perhaps explain the hidden, toxic evils of solar energy collection and wind turbines?
    I meant electric cars you charge by plugging in, not ones charging using solar energy

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I meant electric cars you charge by plugging in, not ones charging using solar energy
    I think the point is where's the energy from the socket you plug in to coming from ?
    Lots of it is still coal/oil burning and consuming resources/polluting !!
    Unless your French where I think it's still 2/3rd nuclear
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Why should everyone pick up my slack?
    it looks to me you're not getting what I mean: I would still be driving fuel cars for fun, that means extremely low mileages, which entails minor pollution, practically nihil.
    Comparing a classic car fanatic's point of view to that of selling burglar alarms, well it just doesn't do it. Driving old cars doesn't affect the lives of other people (maybe if the computer game Carmaggedon were real, but it ain't that way - fortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek
    I know what you meant, that is what I meant by electric cars as well.

We're talking about fuels of the future, coal is not the future as I see it.Cars charged by energy generated by the means I proposed does not produce toxic wastes like a nuclear/coal/oil/natural gas station does.
    Solve your problem?

On a related note, 40 workers died in a coal mine explosion in China today and another 140 are still missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    it looks to me you're not getting what I mean: I would still be driving fuel cars for fun, that means extremely low mileages, which entails minor pollution, practically nihil.
    I get exactly what you mean, you and other drivers will produce amounts of pollution that everyone else will need to offset.
    Comparing a classic car fanatic's point of view to that of selling burglar alarms, well it just doesn't do it.
    That's why I didn't compare cars to burglery, I used an analogy to show how your "point of view" defense was bankrupt.
    Driving old cars doesn't affect the lives of other people
    Sure it does, it's just a question of quantity.
    How much cigarette smoke are you prepared to let your child (hypothetical offspring) inhale so that smokers can enjoy smoking?

If you are proposing that drivers go out into the middle of the desert to drive, then what are you going to do to offset the pollution you release into the atmosphere?

Well, this argument can be carried on to the extreme. Any burning of fossile fuels is harmful for the environment and if you cannot proof that the power for using your computer does not originate from fossile fuels than you might as well stop posting, because yours is a damaging act. Nuclear generated electricity is of course out of contention and I bet that power generated by windturbines or hydropower stations will be carried to your home through media that have in one way or other been created by using some fossile fuels (plastic cables, isolation etc).

Summarising, this will be an eternal bone of contention, and nobody has the answer to how much fossile energy each individual is entitled too.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Well, this argument can be carried on to the extreme. Any burning of fossile fuels is harmful for the environment and if you cannot proof that the power for using your computer does not originate from fossile fuels than you might as well stop posting, because yours is a damaging act. Nuclear generated electricity is of course out of contention and I bet that power generated by windturbines or hydropower stations will be carried to your home through media that have in one way or other been created by using some fossile fuels (plastic cables, isolation etc).

Summarising, this will be an eternal bone of contention, and nobody has the answer to how much fossile energy each individual is entitled too.
    Interesting point. But the windturbines and hydropower stations have the advantage that they are responsible for very little to no pollution while in use indirectly or directly and hence in a way "pays back" the amount of pollution they're responsible for. You're right that people should pay more attention to indirect effects aswell.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

P4g4nite, I think you are exaggerating. As Henk said, we'd better stop living alltogether. if you cannot stand even the slightest amount of pollution, you'd better go living on another planet. And don't forget to stop wearin cotton textiles, cos that's even more polluting than cars.
    And why don't you write some letters to all those manufacturers who built cars just for fun driving, i.e. Ferrari, porsche, Lotus, Ginetta, marcos, Abarth, Cobra, etc. And don't forget Jim hall, who"s just brought out a continuation series of his 60s racing beast Chaparral.

Your posit of entitlement really strikes at the core of that debate

To risk delving into the personal, like many these days my wife & I do try to reduce our ecological impact on the globe - although obviously our actions are ultimately limited by fiscal & social realities and, admittedly, a modicum of hedonistic life choices

Speaking of life choices, in principal because the world is already absurdly overpopulated we decided to not have kids. So we haven't created nor imposed any descendants aka 'future eaters' onto the planet. No potential ongoing consumer chain of resource-consumption via our children's children etc, in continuum

Together we've often mused that, no matter how much we recycle or minimise consumption, this decision in itself will likely be the most significant ecological contribution we could possibly make within our entire lifetimes

and it makes me feel less guilty about owning a V8

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Speaking of life choices, in principal because the world is already absurdly overpopulated we decided to not have kids.
    If we had made a similar decision, chances are very low that we would be having this conversation now
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

If we had made a similar decision, chances are very low that we would be having this conversation now
    did Junior buy you a computer?

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    did Junior buy you a computer?

he owns this site

yeah but think of all that money you woudl have saved over those decades !!!

You could be sitting in a retirement villa in the med soaking up the sun and enjoying a nice cool wine
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    yeah but think of all that money you woudl have saved over those decades !!!

You could be sitting in a retirement villa in the med soaking up the sun and enjoying a nice cool wine
    Aah, but it's an investment, think about the money made now and in the future. (Assuming the offspring shares their income with their parents.)
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

he owns this site
    Mate that would have to rate as one of THE best comebacks I have received in recent memory

Touche!

Thread Information