Thread: Daimler Conquest

Daimler Conquest

Daimler Conquest

The Daimler Conquest was the first modern post war Daimler design and appeared in 1953 as a successor to the Consort, which, although only launched in 1949 looked every inch like a pre-war car. The Conquest had in an-line six cylinder engine of 2433 cc, which had either 75 or 101 bhp. The 100 BHP version became actually available in 1954 and the model fitted with that engine were named Conquest Century. There was a four dour drop head version, but shown here is a very rare 2-door DB250, built in 1953. It was participating in the Concours d’Elegance at Schwetzingen in 2003.

Production lasted until 1957 and in total 9620 Conquests were produced
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 11-07-2006 at 01:04 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Wow...I haven't seen that body configuration before on a Conquest. Any idea what year its from?

Quote Originally Posted by dracu777
    Wow...I haven't seen that body configuration before on a Conquest. Any idea what year its from?
    1953, as indicated
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This "drophead coupe" is a standard Factory version, made alongside the Roadster and of course the 4-door Saloon.

It was at least depicted in the garage handbook that I had in the time I owned one (a Conquest Century Saloon that is). Century of course indicates the 100hp (Century in general indicating things one hundred, a century race is a race over 100 miles).

The Conquest name has to do with the original price, which was 1066 pounds. 1066 being the year of the big conquest (don't ask me which one!)

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Horst
    This "drophead coupe" is a standard Factory version, made alongside the Roadster and of course the 4-door Saloon.

It was at least depicted in the garage handbook that I had in the time I owned one (a Conquest Century Saloon that is). Century of course indicates the 100hp (Century in general indicating things one hundred, a century race is a race over 100 miles).

The Conquest name has to do with the original price, which was 1066 pounds. 1066 being the year of the big conquest (don't ask me which one!)
    Thanks for the update, the fact that the car was invited for Schwetzingen made me think that it rather rare.
    The Vikings were involved in the 1066 conquest...

The Conquest Drophead coupe was standard made by the factory, but of course that's no garantee that many were built. It may even be less than for the Roadster. Say for yourself, if you want open motoring, which one would be your favourite?

In 1066 was the Norman Conquest, where Wiliam the Conqueror invaded England and was finally crowned king.

By the way, Daimler made a range of even more rare models, like the Regency, the Lady's model, and a series of one-offs, the Docker Daimlers.

If you need something simlarly rare (nearly extinct), there's a Armstrong Siddeley Star Sapphire for sale in the Netherlands!

What a nice surprise to see Jaap Horst on UCP! Somehow I had missed your previous posts. I saw your Bugatti website, but can't find VintageWeb. Does it still exist? I was poring over VintageWeb long before I started looking at UCP

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Horst
    The Conquest Drophead coupe was standard made by the factory, but of course that's no garantee that many were built. It may even be less than for the Roadster. Say for yourself, if you want open motoring, which one would be your favourite?

In 1066 was the Norman Conquest, where Wiliam the Conqueror invaded England and was finally crowned king.

By the way, Daimler made a range of even more rare models, like the Regency, the Lady's model, and a series of one-offs, the Docker Daimlers.

If you need something simlarly rare (nearly extinct), there's a Armstrong Siddeley Star Sapphire for sale in the Netherlands!
    another rare one, a 1950 Straight Eight....(Het Loo 2006)

Quote Originally Posted by pdr
    What a nice surprise to see Jaap Horst on UCP! Somehow I had missed your previous posts. I saw your Bugatti website, but can't find VintageWeb. Does it still exist? I was poring over VintageWeb long before I started looking at UCP
    Yes Vintageweb still exists, as is the CCPA, though it has moved recently to:

http://www.vintageweb.nl/ccpa/

It is not actively maintained anymore, though. I'm too busy with the Bugatti websites and the Bugatti Aircraft Association and other activities......

[QUOTE=J.J.Horst]The Conquest Drophead coupe was standard made by the factory, but of course that's no garantee that many were built. It may even be less than for the Roadster. Say for yourself, if you want open motoring, which one would be your favourite?
    [QUOTE]
    There were only 234 made of the Conquest Drophead coupe, so that is quite few, almost as few as for the straight-8 DE36!

[QUOTE=J.J.Horst][QUOTE=J.J.Horst]The Conquest Drophead coupe was standard made by the factory, but of course that's no garantee that many were built. It may even be less than for the Roadster. Say for yourself, if you want open motoring, which one would be your favourite?
    There were only 234 made of the Conquest Drophead coupe, so that is quite few, almost as few as for the straight-8 DE36!
    you posted this already..... (sort of)

talking about the roadster,

Here's one i took on the revival's parking

Quote Originally Posted by J.J.Horst View Post
    Yes Vintageweb still exists, as is the CCPA, though it has moved recently to:

http://www.vintageweb.nl/ccpa/

It is not actively maintained anymore, though. I'm too busy with the Bugatti websites and the Bugatti Aircraft Association and other activities......
    Well, Vintageweb has now been closed, I re-opened the Classic Cars Pictures Archive (Since February 1995!), on http://www.Special-Classics.com/Archive/archive.htm

Thread Information