Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: what classifys as a classic?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I'm thinking the other way
    Get the cars running and do a couple of the European tracks.
    If it comes about, UCPers will be the first to know

How convenient There is a very interesting historic festival in Zandvoort around september 25th. Zolder or Spa or the Ring would be nice too. The Ring is open to the public, one lap will cost you about 20 Euro's or so.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    How convenient There is a very interesting historic festival in Zandvoort around september 25th. Zolder or Spa or the Ring would be nice too. The Ring is open to the public, one lap will cost you about 20 Euro's or so.
    Nearly took in the 'ring about 10 years ago whilst on 6 week European vacation with the family. Didn't and wish I had
    Spa was one that was on my mind.
    Zandvoort, hmm, what state is the old circuit in ? Any links/pointers to the festival ?
    I'm also trying to arrange a weekend tour including lap and display at Mount Stuart. But that may now be next year. Idea is to combine both my interests and have a French tour with Alpine and Matra invited.
    It's looking a busy year with a dozen rallies and more trackdays.
    I just need to get the A610 breathing again
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

http://www.circuit-zandvoort.nl/

but this is in Dutch. The festival has also been announced in recent Motor Sport isssues. The old circuit was shortened in the eigthies to about 2.5 km, but has recently (3-4 years ago) been lengthened to 4.3 km. The main straight and the famous Tarzan corner are still there.
    Spa is no longer public road. There is now a bypass along the Raidillon, which I hope you also took when it was still open. It's like facing a wall, and pictures really don't do credit to its steepness. The direct road from Francorchamps to Stavelot is also closed.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    For sentimental reasons then every car has classic potential, and the judgement whether a car is a classic becomes very subjective. Does it depend on which people have this sentimental attachment? How many individuals are needed to add up for classic status?
    <SNIPPED>
    In short there is no objective definition of a classic car, and may be that's good all the same.
    I agree with you, there's NO objective, (well, except for what certain pompous "richard heads" think ), as to what denotes or what qualifies as a "real" classic. In fact, I REALLY prefer my brother's way-o-thinking, he says, "There's an ass for every seat.".....

Oh, and to the poster who thinks nobody ever remembers Studebakers, you are VERY wrong Sir.... I wouldn't try that statement on ANY of the 15,000 members of the international Studebaker organization. Plus, I get MANY more people looking at and "remembering" their Studebakers than ANY Ford I've ever had, at ANY car gathering... Sheesh......
    Sonny
    Webmaster/Admin
    RacingStudebakers.Com

To join the vcca vintage chevrolet club of america, the car has to be 25 years old. The Ccca classic car club of america at last word was still holding to the pre-49 standard.

I can't speak toward non-american cars, but a certain uniqueness of the vehicle has something to do with a Classic in the US/Canada, though the term is pretty muddied-up these days. I don't look at a 1973 Granada or a 1982 Citation as classics (no offense to anyone who owns one). On the other hand, the 1980's black Grand National Buick probably will attain that status.
    Last edited by Old Sage; 03-23-2007 at 10:03 PM.

I was at the opening concours of the Dutch Pioneer Automobile club which took place in 1956 or 1957. At that time only cars built before 1930 could register as classics......
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Henk, do you know if that club still exists? I'm curious what their year breakdown would be today.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Sage View Post
    Henk, do you know if that club still exists? I'm curious what their year breakdown would be today.
    yes they still exist

http://www.pionierautomobielenclub.nl/

Started in 1956
    now all cars up till 1940 classify, 300 members, with 400 cars.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Does the forum think that a Corvette Stingray is a classic car.

Good question.

I would vote for all of the pre-73 models.
    Last edited by Old Sage; 03-31-2007 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
    Does the forum think that a Corvette Stingray is a classic car.
    In spite the large number built, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    In spite the large number built, yes.
    I don't think that it is fair to consider the number of cars produced a negative point. Other cars that have been produced in much greater numbers have undoubted classic status, regardless of the number of cars produced.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information