Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Challenger is back!!!

New Dodge Challenger

The new LY Dodge Challenger is planned for the 2007-2008 calendar year. LY is the platform designator for the second-generation LX cars (we know it's an unfortunate designation). The Challenger may ride a shorter wheelbase to decrease weight, but on the other hand, it may simply be a two-door variant, much as the Charger was a two-door version of the Coronet. The concept car has a 116 inch wheelbase, while the other LXs use a 120 inch wheelbase; but it keeps the same multilink independent rear suspension. Automobile suggested that the Challenger would probably be V8 only — but also noted that this may depend on whether the Challenger would be made as a mass-market vehicle, á la Charger, or as a 5,000 - 10,000 cars/year specialty model. If the former, a V6 would help it to compete with the cheaper Mustang; if the latter, only Hemi V8s would make sense, though many fans would be disappointed (especially since pricing would probably be about $10,000 higher).

The two-door model Challenger takes many cues from the 1970 model, including floating headlights, ribbed black seating, a hood with black trim, a 6.1-liter Hemi engine with six-speed manual transmission and a pistol grip shifter, and the general look and feel; designers had a 1970 model in the studio as they created a concept. "We wanted to do a muscle coupe that connects with the American heritage," said Tom Tremont, Vice President—Advance Product Design, "but instead of merely re-creating that car, the designers endeavored to build a Challenger most people see in their mind's eye—a vehicle without the imperfections."

The Hemi has 425 hp, 420 lb-ft of torque, and a six-speed manual transmission. So geared, with its 4,100 pound weight, it can do 0-60 in 4.5 seconds (with 20 inch wheels on front and 21 inch wheels on back), and runs the quarter mile in 13 seconds flat; top speed is 174 mph (limited by wind resistance), while gas mileage is estimated at 14 city, 20 highway, very good compared with the original Challenger.

Road and Track noted that the original was 191 inches long, while the new version is a full 198 inches - despite its 116 inch wheelbase, four inches shorter than the other LX series (the original had a 110 inch wheelbase). They pointed out that the grille is not set as deeply into the front end, presumably for aerodynamic reasons. They gave the same specifications as C&D. They also said that Chrysler was looking for additional LX production space, since the current plant is running at full capacity.

E8502 wrote: “They are definitely going to sell more then 10,000 units. I'd guess at least 25,000 for its first year on the market. Speaking of when this bad boy will be released, I hear early March 2007 production (for Fast Feedback cars), on dealer lots by late April (so in all, similar to the Magnum timetable).

“Prices will probably start around $22,000 for the V6 model (I don't know at this point if they will use a tweaked 3.5L or the 4.0L, whatever one they use, expect about 275HP). There will probably be a few trims of the V6 models, each with varying content. The next model up will be the 5.7L Hemi "R/T" which will come in at just under $30K. The SRT-8 with 425+ horsepower will most likely be about $36,000 - $38,000 depending on options. ”

One possibility is that the first-year run will be, as many are saying, limited to 10,000 - 15,000 units, all with the 6.1 liter SRT-8 engine; this might be called Challenger SRT-8, though most enthusiasts would prefer the original R/T designation. If the Challenger sold well, and there appeared to be strong demand, and production was flawless - or rapidly fixed - so that the Challenger, Charger, and 300C were all running nicely on the same assembly line, then the second year could see a "base" model with the 5.7 Hemi, whose cylinder deactivation would increase gas mileage; and perhaps a V6 would eventually be seen.

There are rumors that the new 392 Hemi crate engine, designed for racing, will go along with the new Dodge Challenger body. The 392 is apparently a racing-only engine in current form, not a production design, but a lower-power version may well be made for production and appear in the Challenger. The Challenger concept car to be shown at NAIAS (Detroit, January 2006; the Camaro will also be shown) uses, not surprisingly, the SRT-8 6.1 liter engine — but, unlike any current production LX car, it also has a six-speed manual gearbox. (Automobile suggested that the 510 horsepower 6.4 liter 392 Hemi might be used.) There are issues with the 392 - most notably the question of what untrained drivers will do with that much power. A fairly large number of Vipers left this world unexpectedly.

The hood scoops, incidentally, appear to be real - as on some versions of the original. Exhaust tips are, like the original, rectangular.

The Chicago Tribune ran an article on the Challenger suggesting it would be built “next year” (2006 calendar year), which seems a bit premature given that most others are saying 2007-2009. They also said it would first show up at the Detroit auto show in January (watch Allpar for semi-live coverage.)

The LY series will be interesting for a number of reasons; for one, Chrysler reportedly has much more control over the engineering than they did with the LX, so more divergence of Mercedes may be expected in some areas, and the tuning and interior design may be different (though we would not expect any radical changes; it appears that the Magnum/Charger and 300 interiors are being standardized throughout the car lines). That said, the concept car interior is fairly close to the original, complete with an authentic gearshift (and clutch!), four-gauges-in-a-row instrument panel, and a general mix-of-old-and-new feel.

It's hard to say whether the Challenger's truly authentic look would have been used if the Dodge Charger had not been so controversial - and in some ways, less well-received than one would have expected.

Challenger is an appropriate name this time around; just as the original rode on a shortened B-body platform (with some A-body elements, called the E-body platform), the new Challenger will ride on a shortened LY platform - with two doors. (The Dodge people have apparently talked about the two-door design as a "flexibility test" for the platform, which sounds interesting coming from the company that produced coupes, luxury cars, economy cars, and minivans from a single basic platform. The real flexibility comes in their ability to build the Challenger on the same assembly line, at the same time, as the other LY models — which would be a major advance, since the body is very different.) It’s also possible that the entire LY platform will be on a slightly shorter wheelbase - in which case the LY would not be shortened, and would be cheaper to engineer and produce.
    E8502 added: “From a design standpoint, it's a pretty great work of ‘auto art.’ The lines are just right as to hide the cars size, and it has a glamorous roof-line that evokes fond memories V8 hartops of days gone by. A high greenhouse gives the sides a substantial look of imposing substance. The rear end is flamboyant and bold, with the taillight spanning the entire rear. Dual exhausts showcase the power, and large 18" rims with low profile tires put all that power to the ground. A sleek modern interior with subtle touches of sporty trim help to tell folks this isn't just another coupe... Surely this car is a big disappointment, I mean, what is there to like about it?”

Regards

Karl

New Dodge Challenger

Will be presented at the Detroit Car Show beginning January, 14th 2005.

Regards

Karl
    Attached Images Attached Images

One more picture...
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

right now D.C. and Miami., but also London
    nice to look at. But what aabout everything else? I had a new Magnum that everyone was raving about for a week and was very dissappointed. Drove a 300 Hemi C, and that wasn't great either. I haven't driven a Charger, but its looks aren't inspiring.. I must day I was not impressed with the cars that have spearheaded the Dodge/ Chrysler comeback even though I bought into the hype.
    Mustangs/ TVRs, M3s, 911 Turbos...make me smile from ear to ear...everything else..just makes me smile.

http://www.supercars.net/cars/3326.html
    As much as I hate the site, its more info.
    All about the t-tops

New Dodge Challenger

MY WIFE JUST GOT CHARGER BUT I LIKE THIS WITH 2 DOORS I THINK mustang BETTER WATCH OUT!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANDREW G
    MY WIFE JUST GOT CHARGER BUT I LIKE THIS WITH 2 DOORS I THINK mustang BETTER WATCH OUT!!
    That one always looked the best

Last edited by PerfAdv; 01-09-2006 at 05:02 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by ashes2ashes
    nice to look at. But what aabout everything else? I had a new Magnum that everyone was raving about for a week and was very dissappointed. Drove a 300 Hemi C, and that wasn't great either. I haven't driven a Charger, but its looks aren't inspiring.. I must day I was not impressed with the cars that have spearheaded the Dodge/ Chrysler comeback even though I bought into the hype.

Everyone has the right to their own opinion but none-the-less. The numbers are showing that the charger has pretty much the same performance as the new gto, god forgive me for swooping this low but the 300c is a trademark car for all those "racing games" such as need for speed and midnight club. Buddies kid plays them. the magnum, didn't like it that much either but still a car that has potential for the guy with large family and lots of cargo. But we all know that man wants a bit of performance.
    Why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?

A friend of mine made it up. Very true.

I just love this car, alot!

Run with the best of them

Well, if the Challenger is pumped up with the 6.4L (390ci) Hemi, it will be able to run with the Z06, GT500, and those pesky M5s.
    The best thing to do in a car short of sex is to go faster than everyone else on the road.

life is short,
    PARTY NAKED!

If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstopable!

for all of you who say that muscle is dead, look at BMW withthe Ms and Mercedes with there AMGs, while not american muscle, they are euro muscle
    also the mustang is the best selling car, ever,
    and why doesn't GM bring back the Chevelle, the best selling muscle car of all time, also fix the goat, or shoot it.
    The best thing to do in a car short of sex is to go faster than everyone else on the road.

life is short,
    PARTY NAKED!

If it wasn't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstopable!

Quote Originally Posted by Schmallz
    also fix the goat, or shoot it.
    that's easy, sell the proper aussie design, not the fugly US version, or even sell the HSV version.

I reckon this new challenger is awesome, best of all the retro designs around. I like it a lot more than the camaro concept, which is saying a lot seeing as though i'm a GM man. It's great to see that its 2 door, v8, and manual too, which is good

Yep... 4160lbs. Good job, Dodge.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information