Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 10 reasons to wait for PS3

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    About the scratches... Nissan developed an "anti-scratch" ink...

About the thread... having played video and computer games for over 20 years...
    In that case you'll rmember how much Sony HYPED the PS2 and it's performance and capability.
    i do believe the ps3 will be the better console, the numbers i read earlyer in the thread where 60fps for the 360 and 120 for the ps3? correct, knowing that we can say that in a virtual battlefield we can have twice as much elements in the ps3 than in the 360 and have 60fps, whilst in the 360 we would have to have half the number of elements...
    The possible difference being that the XBox might DELIVER that performance n day one adn teh PS3 may take 18 months - 2 years of "experience" before develeoprs can squeeze it out JUST like the PS2
    I've seen some screen shots of GT5, the look of the pits full of ppl, hidraulics, fuel lines, grand stands chearing, a FULL grid of JGTC cars... it's gonna be great!
    It's always worth remembering that it's necessary to determien WHAT produced ther screen shot. The only ones that should be used in deciding are those taken from the RGB OUPUT of the console
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    Isn't that what dual layer DVDs were developed for? Anyway, I can see why we'd want HD / Blu-Ray BUT seeing as it's not long since everyone had the cost of changing to DVD, I don't think many would be bothered that a newer, better solution exists.
    Dual Layer was designed/developed at the same time as single layer.
    It just took longer for the WRITER technology to be delivered in PCs at a reasonable cost. All players/readers have managed to read DL since day one.

DL DVD delivers 9Gb, still MUCH smaller than Blu-Ray/HD.

It's not whether people are "bothered" that drives a move it's whether CONTENT is there that makes the move worthwhile.

The TV industry is selling bucket loads of HD compatible screens right now. So there is a growing market for those wishing HD quality content. You can't FIT a HD film on a DVD. So as always the film industry will be the attractor and driving force in adoption. Hence why which studio signs up to which format has been VERY closely followed over the years

If you ever get the chance to see a PROPER HD output driving an HD display you'll be upset going back to watch "normal" TV resolution

The limiting factor is cash. Everyone's gonna be forced to upgrade their DVD players (and for people like me with a laptop, it's gonna be hell).
    Drives will be in the $100-150 when FIRST launched for sure.

But as before as more mass market devices use them ( like PS3 ) then the cheaper the per unit cost is. As it's primarily a laser head difference then much of the mass production which can currently produce a DVD drive for <$10 is reusable. So the drive to lower prices will likely be faster than it was for DL DVD writers. So another M&A prediction, one year after launch HD/BLu-Ray drives will be sub $50

Yeah laptop upgrades are a bitch External drives are becoming more the norm anyway ( oddly something HP did with it's ultra-compacts more than 10 years ago )

then The next thing is; as with DVDs, the players will come out soon enough but we'll be waiting for the writers and even when those come out, they'll be bigger than my computer alone.
    No reason they should be. 90% of the drive will be the same. More capacity is by different laser density NOT larger discs

It's feasible for the manufacturers to produce upgrades for your laptop. They probably wont though as the market prefers you to buy completely new systems through this design-in-non-upgradeable-obsolescence. ... welcome to the drawback of laptops Sorry if you hadnt' realised that up-front.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    It's feasible for the manufacturers to produce upgrades for your laptop. They probably wont though as the market prefers you to buy completely new systems through this design-in-non-upgradeable-obsolescence. ... welcome to the drawback of laptops Sorry if you hadnt' realised that up-front.
    I did realise this would happen eventually but I thought Blu-ray was still a way off. The computer's only 3 months old, I worked my ass off between school and college to afford it and can't really afford to do it agin to buy a new laptop just because they're changing the format of our discs. I hope they do (but realise they probably wont) manufacture the necessary drive for this model of computer but I wont be buying an external seeing as the whole point of my 12 inch laptop is it's small and I paid so much because everything's integrated...no wires except for charging.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

I did realise this would happen eventually but I thought Blu-ray was still a way off.
    Yeah, but dont' worry about it.
    The processor, memory adn video are already out of date anyway.
    There will always be older style media availalbe - you can still get hings on CD for example.
    The computer's only 3 months old, I worked my ass off between school and college to afford it and can't really afford to do it agin to buy a new laptop just because they're changing the format of our discs.
    Well they're only ADDING a new format to the standard. It's not like you wont' be able to use it You used to still get BETA video tapes until only a few years ago !!!!
    it's small and I paid so much because everything's integrated...no wires except for charging.
    Yeah, taking solace that THAT is what you paid the extra for at least makes up for the worry about it going "out of date" ! The computer industry is only slightly ahead of the electronic design and video production industry in terms of hardware being out of date as soon as you buy them You get used to it

I thought I'd buy everything in the one box (as in the capability to write to DVD, etc.) to save me the cost of buying a DVD recorder for the TV. I hope I'm not going to need another laptop...

Aaah, nothing like looking at the bright side of life!
    Last edited by Clivey; 12-18-2005 at 06:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    About the scratches... Nissan developed an "anti-scratch" ink...

About the thread... having played video and computer games for over 20 years... i do believe the ps3 will be the better console, the numbers i read earlyer in the thread where 60fps for the 360 and 120 for the ps3? correct, knowing that we can say that in a virtual battlefield we can have twice as much elements in the ps3 than in the 360 and have 60fps, whilst in the 360 we would have to have half the number of elements...
    I've seen some screen shots of GT5, the look of the pits full of ppl, hidraulics, fuel lines, grand stands chearing, a FULL grid of JGTC cars... it's gonna be great!
    That's gt4 vision. And it was rendered I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    That's gt4 vision. And it was rendered I think.
    I was misinformed then, thank you.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

120FPS is ridiculously high, but if managed, would create a truly seamless gaming experience.

I'll stick to my PS2 for the moment, but this thing sounds fantastic.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

and we all know what sony says about there consoles dont we, as far as im convernec, pre ps2 launch, the ps2 was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. PS3 wont be any different, the specs are just that, numbers.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    and we all know what sony says about there consoles dont we, as far as im convernec, pre ps2 launch, the ps2 was supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread. PS3 wont be any different, the specs are just that, numbers.
    EEEEEXACTLY! That was the point I was originally trying to make, it doesn't matter what hype surrounds the console (120FPS - that most people have no chance of seeing on their TVs) and Blu-Ray discs (which again, most people wont be able to support at the time of launch), it's the games that'll make or break it.

As for Blu-Ray or HD, we'll just have to see how things go. By the time Sony launch the PS3 that'll probably be "out of date" too

^^ I read about that. At least I think it was that. Something about how the PS3 was capable of better graphics than most TV's.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    ^^ I read about that. At least I think it was that. Something about how the PS3 was capable of better graphics than most TV's.
    CURRENT TVs are only good for approx 500-600 pixels of digital screen height be it from a broadcast, PC, Mac or Console. ( interlaced 625 lines in PAL/Secam and 525 in NTSC - with approx 40-45 "blanking lines" which arent' visible )
    Current gen digital ouptut from PCs/Macs is a generation AHEAD of what High-Definition broadcast TV can do at 1080p.
    So PS3s and even XBox360 is better than "most TV" (current).

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    It'll be a while before console graphics are "Better than most TVs" (hold on for a second I know what you're thinking).

What I mean is that TVs produce pictures that were taken by cameras as well as ones that are generated by computers, consoles cannot currently beat the quality of the photos taken by cameras used when making films or broadcasts...if they could we'd confuse games with "real life" because we wouldn't be able to tell the difference in that sense.

For console graphics to be truly better than images a TV can display, the graphics would have to be more "real" than a photograph.

I know you were discussing such thing as FPS but the true meaning of "better" than what a TV is capable of displaying you haven't yet touched upon.

It'll be a while before console graphics are "Better than most TVs" (hold on for a second I know what you're thinking).

What I mean is that TVs produce pictures that were taken by cameras as well as ones that are generated by computers, consoles cannot currently beat the quality of the photos taken by cameras used when making films or broadcasts...if they could we'd confuse games with "real life" because we wouldn't be able to tell the difference in that sense.
    They CAN "produce" better images than TVs.
    I know what you mean though and that is that we cannot currently create lifelike real time dynamic bodies to match the real world.

The quality of the IMAGE is better for things, it isn't yet for "living" things but IS there for objects.

For console graphics to be truly better than images a TV can display, the graphics would have to be more "real" than a photograph.
    No, they only have to be better than the quality produced by a video camer which is professional HDTV ias 1200 lines - not a lot really when you think how many vertical pixels on most monitors nowadays.

ADDITION: Bill has jsut announced at CES that there will be an external drive for HD-DVD for the Xbox ...... Gates said, "as more content — from films to video games — will be produced in the higher-resolution format. The Xbox 360 will later this year have an external drive to play HD-DVDs — one of the newest high-definition DVD formats."
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-05-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Bill has jsut announced at CES that there will be an external drive for HD-DVD for the Xbox ...... Gates said, "as more content — from films to video games — will be produced in the higher-resolution format. The Xbox 360 will later this year have an external drive to play HD-DVDs — one of the newest high-definition DVD formats."
    Sounds like they've realised their mistake!

Thread Information