Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Richard Burns dies today

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    wtf? anyone have any idea on how he died, this is a huge shock to me. R.I.P. RB, you will be missed.
    He was being treated for brain cancer.

Guest Guest
    Oh dear, i was hoping hed come back to race against McRae. RIP

[from SportingLife.com]

FORMER RALLY CHAMPION BURNS DIES
    Former world rally champion Richard Burns has died after a long battle with a brain tumour, aged 34.

Burns, the only Englishman to win the championship, underwent brain surgery to remove a tumour in April but died on Friday with his close family and friends at his bedside.

Burns' last race was in 2003 while leading the championship. He was forced to stop racing after passing out at the wheel of his car while travelling to the Wales Rally GB.

Burns won the championship in 2001 and enjoyed numerous battles with his rival Colin McRae, the only other Briton to win the world rally championship.

An official statement released today said: "From the outset Richard knew that the odds were heavily against him and yet he fought his illness with bravery and good humour. Having undergone both chemotherapy and radiotherapy he was able to leave hospital in summer 2004.

"For a while his health showed signs of improvement but then after six months it once again began to decline. Determined not to give up, he opted for surgery earlier this year. This alleviated some of the symptoms of his illness and enabled him to remain active.

"At Castle Combe in August he attended a parade of the rally cars that he drove throughout his career and was touched by the warmth of the reception he received. However there was to be no miracle and in recent days he lapsed into a coma.

"The date of a memorial service will be announced shortly."

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    Okay, so we all saw George Best's death coming, but Richard Burns? Why? How?
    Richard Burns, the 2001 World Rally Champion, died peacefully last night after a long illness. Just 35, Burns was one of the most gifted drivers in the WRC, the only British World Champion except his rival, Colin McRae.

During his career Burns drove for teams like Mitsubishi and Peugeot, however it was with Subaru when he won the World Rally Championship in 2001 after a close battle between fellow Brit, Colin McRae. Since then he moved to Peugeot and was leading the WRC going into the final round, thanks to the new points system.

On his way to the event in 2003, he passed out at the wheel of his car and was saved only by the quick thinking of Markko Märtin, a rival at the Ford team but a great friend, who wrenched the steering wheel from his grasp and guided their vehicle to safety. Burns was later diagnosed with a brain disease that did not respond to treatment.
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    Oh dear, i was hoping hed come back to race against McRae. RIP
    There was never any chance of that after he had, had his operation he was unable to drive a car himself so there was no chance of him ever being competative again
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Oh dear....

What an awful year for rallying....

And for Märtin who has lost two of his best friends

R.I.P Burnsie

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    oh man... that sucks!

May you rest in peace Richard...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

i still can't believe that...

he was one of my fav rally drivers
    it's a terrible loss
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by www.richard-burns.com
    Richard Burns’ status as one of Britain’s top rally stars has been an extraordinary accomplishment. After rapidly gaining success on domestic turf, Richard turned to the international stage in 1994 where he concentrated on gaining valuable experience. He was rewarded in 1998 with a full WRC programme with Mitsubishi resulting in a move to Subaru in 1999. Having been runner-up that year and the following, his determination finally paid off when he was crowned World Rally Champion in 2001.

In 2002, the following year, Richard joined the Peugeot team but unfortunately was unable to retain his World Championship title. Continuing to drive for Peugeot in 2003 saw Richard using the skills he is renowned for – speed consistency, concentration and driving acumen.

Let’s start with the facts: Richard Burns was born in Reading on the 17th January, 1971. His earliest recollection of four wheels was at the tender age of eight, when his father, Alex allowed Richard behind the wheel of an old Triumph 2000 in a field near their home. Despite not being able to see over the wheel, Richard enjoyed the experience and would pester his Dad to allow him to repeat the game often. The game became a little more serious when Richard, aged eleven, joined an under seventeen's car club.

These early experiences developed into an interest for Richard; they proved to be invaluable as his early fascination turned to ambition.

In recognition of Richard's early displays behind the wheel, Alex decided to take Richard to a Welsh rally driving school where Richard was assessed. Two hours later and with a suitably impressed instructor/co-driver, Richard emerged stating that he wanted to be a rally driver. He was just fifteen.

By 1989, Richard had entered and been successful enough in minor domestic events to have caught the eye of fellow driver, David Williams, who was to become Richard's mentor and great personal friend. To this day, David is behind most of Richard's career decisions.

In the following year, David bought Richard a Peugeot 205 and entered him into the national 205GTI challenge, a proving ground for young talent. It was an opportunity he was not about to spurn and with regular wins and the kind of consistency that is still his trademark, Richard won the series. With the realisation of Richard’s promise, David asked Richard to deputise for him in a well financed Group N Subaru Legacy in which David planned to use himself, in the Mintex National series. When Richard came second in the event (the winner was not entered into the series championship), David made the chivalrous decision to run the car for Richard for the remainder of the series. His faith in Richard was duly rewarded as he went on to win the Championship.

The rest is history. Richard joined the crack Prodrive Subaru squad alongside Alistair McRae becoming the youngest winner of the British Championship in 1993. Two learning years which included entry to the occasional full World Championship netted Richard second in the Asia Pacific Championship. This performance plus Richard's uncertainty about his future with Prodrive culminated in Mitsubishi Ralliart signing the young Englishman for an initial rookie year in selected world events. It was in this year that Richard finished second in the Safari Rally. 1998 heralded Richard's big break - on the grandest stage of them all - a full WRC assault partnering World Champion Tommi Makinen in the Mitsubishi Charisma GT (Evolution V).

Richard enjoyed a successful 1999 in his first full season with the Subaru team driving the WRC Impreza. The strength of this new combination of driver and manufacturer resulted in Richard challenging for the Championship, eventually coming second overall in the World Rally Championship Driver standings with victories in Greece, Australia and Britain. 2000 brought further success for Richard as he once again mounted a serious attack on the Championship. His early season form meant he made history once again, becoming the first Englishman to ever lead the WRC and wins in Portugal, Kenya and Argentina marked him out as favourite for the title. Disappointingly, Burns was narrowly beaten to overall glory by Finland's Marcus Gronholm driving for Peugeot; the outcome of the Championship taken to the final round - the Rally of Great Britain. Despite Richard winning the event for the third successive time it was not enough to beat Gronholm.

The start of Richard's 2001 campaign was in complete contrast to how the season was to end - a mere three points from the first four rounds. Second place behind rival Colin McRae in Argentina was the result Richard needed to move his challenge up a gear. The same podium placing beckoned in the next round in Cyprus and Richard was beginning to pick up valuable points. Second again in Finland followed by victory in New Zealand elevated Richard into the title fight whilst other contenders wasted valuable opportunities. Second place in the penultimate round in Australia guaranteed Richard a shot at the title on home soil in the Network Q Rally of Great Britain. The resulting retirements by Colin McRae and Tommi Makinen ensured that Richard merely had to finish in the points, but he persisted to ensure a podium place, third, and the 2001 World Rally Championship crown. Richard Burns was now the first Englishman ever, to have won the title.

2002 saw Richard driving for his new team, Peugeot in the Peugeot Sport 206. Aiming to retain his World Championship crown, the first three rounds proved challenging as Richard acclimatised himself with the car. As proof of his satisfaction with the modifications made to the car’s setup, Richard performed well in the Rally Catalunya; he secured a creditable second place, elevating him to third place overall in the Drivers’ Championship. In the next round, in Cyprus, Richard repeated his second place podium position on a notoriously challenging circuit.

Going into the Rally of Argentina, Richard was third place in the WRC standings. Controversy then ensued with Richard inheriting his team-mate Marcus Gronholm’s victory after a rule infringement only to have this revoked due to an underweight flywheel. Rounds seven and eight (the Acropolis and Safari rallies respectively) held disappointment as Richard was forced to retire from both due to suspension failure.

Determined to reverse this run of bad luck, the next three rounds produced better results with second places in both Finland and Germany. This was followed by a fourth place in the Sanremo rally and despite being twenty three points behind Gronholm in the overall Drivers’ Championship, Richard was confident going into the next round in New Zealand, having won the rally the previous year. A repeat performance looked certain but disaster struck as the car crashed and rolled as Richard led the race. This enabled Marcus Gronholm to secure the Drivers’ Championship. With Richard forced to retire in both rounds thirteen and fourteen, he ended his 2003 season on a disappointing note leaving him fifth overall in the Drivers’ placings.

Richard began his 2003 battle for the World Championship in strong contention. A third place in the second round in Sweden gave him his best result there which he consolidated with second position in Turkey – a new arrival to the series having achieved WRC status. A sublime race in New Zealand gave Richard his third successive podium finish and a six-point lead over his nearest contender, his team-mate Marcus Gronholm. He capitalised on this success in the fifth round in Argentina (third place) and subsequently at the Acropolis Rally (fourth place). The latter rally put his driving skills to the ultimate test, having to complete nine stages without a second gear (having already utilised the spare gearbox on a previous stage). Unfortunately, round seven in Cyprus was not so forgiving and Richard was forced to retire for the first time in the season through mechanical failure.

Rallye Deutschland saw Richard win a well-deserved third place on a German circuit that is renowned for its unpredictability and despite his efforts being hampered by poor weather Richard maintained a four point lead in the overall Drivers’ Championship. In Finland, he earned third place on the podium and had looked close to leading with a display of fast yet controlled driving. Due to a broken wheel bearing he lost vital time in the final two stages.

In August, it was announced that Richard had signed a two-year contract with Subaru and stated that he was “delighted to be returning to Subaru” with his co-driver, Robert Reid. The pair had previously enjoyed success with the team whom Richard had collected eight of his ten WRC victories plus the 2001 FIA Drivers' title.

In Australia, Richard further consolidated his lead in the Drivers’ Championship by earning third place and taking him to fifty five points – seven points ahead of both Peter Solberg and Carlos Sainz who were both tied in second place. By the end of this tenth round, Richard had now led the Championship since the third round in Turkey and was proving to be a formidable and unyielding opponent.

The three asphalt rallies in October, in Italy, Corsica and Spain proved challenging with the latter forcing the second retirement of the season.

On reflection and looking back on a season of such superlative performance, it’s no wonder that Richard has received such respect within the upper echelons of the rallying fraternity. His ability to lead the World Championship for nine of the fourteen rounds is an indication of his driving prowess and consummate skill when we consider the personal challenge he now faces.
    Still cant believe it

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    I think he had cancer.

Mr Miyagi has died too.
    It's sad that there have been so many deaths this year. Far too many...

Park, Burns, Best and Miyagi. And that's just in sports. Look at the amount of natural disasters that have happened. And people died in wars.

2005 must be the blackest year in history.
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 11-26-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Im sorry if this offends anyone but best brought it on himself

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    Im sorry if this offends anyone but best brought it on himself
    No doubt about it, what with being an alcoholic and such, but I think we it's sadder that he died NOW when so many others have died than in a normally secluded month. It makes loosing the sportsmen even worst.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    No doubt about it, what with being an alcoholic and such, but I think we it's sadder that he died NOW when so many others have died than in a normally secluded month. It makes loosing the sportsmen even worst.

Yeah, Burnsie i fell sorry fr and also for his family, but Best, Im not really bothered about it, pretty much the same as i am about football in a whole really

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang
    Yeah, Burnsie i fell sorry fr and also for his family, but Best, Im not really bothered about it, pretty much the same as i am about football in a whole really
    Oh! be a good sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    So far, this month, 79 service men and women have died in Iraq
    Numerous people across the globe.
    THousadns died of poverty and malnutrition

Sportsmen are a loss we all feel and those taken by illness, whether self-induced or otherwise is sad, BUT we should keep it in context !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information