Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads of State - Cars

Heads of State - Cars

These cars were present at an exhibit of the Petersen Museum. Beautifully displayed in a darkened hall these stately conveyances exude an aura of power.

One of the first cars owned by the White House, the 1912 Baker Electric. The White House also had a White Steamer and two Pierce-Arrows. This Baker Electric was used by William H. Taft. The environmentally friendly Baker Electric had a limited range but it was chosen for its advantages. Some of which still apply to electric cars, as it was nearly silent, clean running, and didn't need to be hand-cranked.

The 1953 Cadillac Eldorado was used by Dwight D. Eisenhower. The car was named after the fabled city of gold in South America, El Dorado. One of the few 2-door cars owned by an administration.

1952/56 Chrysler Imperial Parade Phaeton was used during the Eisenhower administration and by Richard M. Nixon. As the name implies, this beautiful Chrysler was used in parades and other ceremonies. This car was used by the White House but never owned by the government. Chrysler wanted to gift the car to the government but a policy prevented them from accepting it. Three such cars were built and this one is the only one owned privately. The other two are still in use by the cities of New York and Los Angeles.

The 1984 Cadillac Presidential Limousine was used by Presidents Ronald Reagan, George Bush, and Bill Clinton. This car represented the beginning of the technological age. It featured an comprehensive audiovisual system featuring a television, videocassette recorder, compact disc player, and a Delco music system. The cars communication system featured three cellular telephones and a intercom system that allow communication with the chauffeur and those outside the car. Luxury touches were a crystal beverage set and writing desks. It was stated in the cars bio that because of the secrecy surrounding the classified nature of its fittings and armaments it will likely never be out of official government control.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 11-26-2005 at 04:24 PM.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

1959 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith Allweather Cabriolet. This Rolls-Royce is one of a pair ordered by the Australian Federal Government for use by visiting Aristocracy, heads of state, and the Pope. The cabriolets was designed for long-distance travel in dusty conditions, so were fitted with air cleaners and large capacity fuel tanks. In 1994, both were sold as the cost of maintenance was deemed too high for the infrequent use.

Rolls-Royce Phantom IV Limousine used by His Highness Abdul Illah Prince Regent of Iraq. The car was ordered by the Prince for the coronation of his nephew, the King. The Phantom IV was only offered to royalty and heads of state. One of rarest of Rolls-Royce as it was equipped with a straight-eight engine.

1938 Horch 850 Limousine used by Konrad Adenauer, Chancellor of West Germany. Government officials used cars that were produced before World War II, as German prestige car manufacturers were unable to resume production for several years after the war. August Horch was employed by Karl Benz before he constructed his own cars. The first bearing his name was made in 1900 and the last was in 1944.

1939 Packard Super Eight Phaeton used by Juan and Evita Peron, President and First lady of Argentina. This 1939 Packard was built by Derham of Rosemont, Pennsylvania. Construction took several months to complete at a cost of $10,000. At the time a Ford could be purchased for $625 dollars. The eight cylinder engine pumped out 130 horsepower. The car was originally painted a dark color and was RHD. During a restoration in the 1970s it was changed to a yellow color and the steering wheel position was also changed to the left side.
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 11-26-2005 at 04:20 PM.

1966 Rolls-Royce Phantom V State Landaulette used by His Highness Sheik Issa Bin Sulima Al-Khalifa, the Ruler of Bahrain. This Phantom V is number two of only five State Ladaulettes built in-house by Rolls-Royce coach-builder Mulliner Park Ward. This particular car was shown at the London Motor Show of 1965.

1935 Bentley 3.5 Liter Cabriolet was originally owned by Prince Aly S. Khan. Part of the specifications ordered for this one off cabriolet by the Prince were an enclosed rear mounted spare and a rumble seat. This Barker bodied Bentley saw several subsequent owners. In 1978 a thorough restoration was completed by its current owner.

#3 and #4
    1939 Bugatti Type 57C by Vanvooren. This most beautiful of cars was originally owned by Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, Prince of Persia. The Prince received the supercharged 57C as a gift from the French government to commemorate his first wedding. The car features fully skirted fenders, a top that is concealed by a metal panel, and a windshield that can be lowered manually using a hand-crank.

1939 Packard Twelve Touring Cabriolet was used by Lazaro Cardenas, President of Mexico. This imposing Brunn bodied Packard was built for the Mexican Government. It features a 175 horsepower V12 engine. State of the art as it used vacuum-assisted power brakes, independent front suspension, and a three speed transmission. The car is armor plated and all glass is bullet-proof. Notice the frog sitting on the rear fender, a symbol abundance, friendship, and served as a good luck charm in many Latin countries.

1932 Plymouth Town Car was used by Franklin D. Roosevelt, President of the United States of America. This Brewster-bodied car is small compared to some of the other traditional luxury cars of the time. Since full sized luxury cars were not easily maneuverable in congested areas, coach-builder Brewster would use the chassis of a Ford or other inexpensive cars, in this case a Plymouth to create a smaller than traditional luxury car. Very little weather protection is provided for the chauffeur, following in the tradition of carriages from the horse-and-buggy era.

when did you go to the peterson.. i'll be in SoCal for xmas, so I wouldnt mind seeing this exhibit. If only for the Bugatti. I want to see the Delehaye T165 that the Bug was designed after (it is also in the Peterson collection, although it hasnt been on display for some time), but I'll take this one.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

I was there last week. The 'heads of state' and other exhibits forced some cars to the basement. Not sure how long these exhibits will run. The Bugatti 57C was my favorite car on display at the Museum.

Check exhibit schedules:Petersen
    Last edited by PerfAdv; 11-27-2005 at 03:47 PM.

in the context of this thread a real oddball. The last party leader of the former DDR choose a french car as his luxury transport, a lengthened CX. It is now owned by somebody in "western" germany and was shown at Retromobile, at a time before i had a decent digital camera available.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

French cars are always a little odd. This CX limo fits in very nicely. Interesting that Germans picked a Citroen, nice choice.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    French cars are always a little odd. This CX limo fits in very nicely. Interesting that Germans picked a Citroen, nice choice.
    well, at that time it was unlikely that a DDR chief would choose a Mercedes or a BMW
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    well, at that time it was unlikely that a DDR chief would choose a Mercedes or a BMW
    I don't know exactly what time period you're talking about. Wouldn't mind a little history lesson.

DDR is German Democrats party?

I don't know exactly what time period you're talking about. Wouldn't mind a little history lesson.

DDR is German Democrats party?
    This was before the wall fell in 1991. The East German party leader was Erich Honnecker.

#3 and #4
    1939 Bugatti Type 57C by Vanvooren. This most beautiful of cars was originally owned by Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, Prince of Persia. The Prince received the supercharged 57C as a gift from the French government to commemorate his first wedding. The car features fully skirted fenders, a top that is concealed by a metal panel, and a windshield that can be lowered manually using a hand-crank.
    i really like the vanvooren bugatti. nice pictures. cheers
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    This was before the wall fell in 1991. The East German party leader was Erich Honnecker.
    OK, that makes sense. Actually, a French car is nice neutral choice for any political leader.

another one here, the 456 of the late Prince Bernhard, husband of our previous queen Juliana. He was a preferred Ferrari client, and his 456 was the first one delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i really like the vanvooren bugatti. nice pictures. cheers
    Thanks.

Thread Information