Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Accord (5th gen) 1993-1997

Honda Accord (5th gen) 1993-1997

Fifth generation (1993–1997)

For the first time in the model's history, Honda developed two distinct versions of the Accord when the 5th generation model was launched; one version for the European market (launched in 1992) and one for the North American and Japanese market. Honda and the Rover Group created the European Accord and the Rover 600, a reflection of the past success they had with the Honda Legend and the Rover 800. This generation Accord was also sold in Japan as the Isuzu Aska, while some Isuzu products were sold as Honda products there also.

North America, Japan and Philippines
    The 5th generation North American Accord was launched on September 9, 1993 and was based on the new 'CD' chassis. Larger than its predecessor, primarily to better suit the requirements of the North American market, the new model grew in width but shrunk in length, leaving it classified as a mid-size car in North America. It thus became too wide to fit within the favorable tax bracket in Japan, where its role was to be partially taken over by the slightly narrower second-generation Honda Ascot (sold at Honda Primo Japanese dealerships) and Honda Rafaga (sold at Honda Verno). Previous generations of the Accord sold in Japan were limited to a width dimension of 1,695 mm (67 in) while international models were slightly wider, however this generation no longer complied. The engines offered with the Accord also exceeded the maximum limit of 2000cc to remain in the favorable "compact" tax bracket. The final design was selected on December 18, 1990 and frozen for production in April 1992, after several alterations were made between mid-1991 and then. Design patents were filed in the United States on December 16, 1992. Production later began at Marysville assembly on August 24, 1993.

European model
    The 5th generation Accord for the European market was launched towards the end of 1992 and was not related directly to the North American 'CD' Accord. It was in fact the JDM Honda Ascot Innova which was based on the previous 4th generation 'CB' Accord. It was the result of a joint effort with the Rover Group that provided Rover with the 600 series. It was designed by Shigeo Ueno in late 1990.

In 1996, the European Accord received a minor facelift and was given a new front end (new headlights, bumper, bonnet and grill) and slightly different taillights. The styling of the facelifted Accord remained identical to the styling of the Ascot Innova (although the frameless doors were replaced with conventional items) and featured the design language first introduced on the 5th generation Honda Civic. The styling of the European Accord differed dramatically from the North American which featured a more conventional saloon styling compared to the European model's low slung, fastback inspired look which also incorporated rear quarter windows. The facelifted Accord was also equipped with two airbags as standard.

However, the European Accord did not spawn an estate or coupe version, Honda instead opting to import the coupe and estate (Aerodeck) versions of the North American Accord.

Rover 600
    As part of the tie-up with the Rover Group the European Accord spawned Rover's replacement for the Austin Montego in 1993. Called the 600, the car shared its platform with the European Accord and, with the exception of the front doors, lower rear doors and windscreen, sported unique styling which dispensed with the rear quarter windows. The interior design of the 600 was very similar to the Accord's however, while the dashboard design was identical.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Duell; 09-17-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Honda Accord #2
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some Models posted are also known in the Japanese Market as the Honda Ascot Innova.

Post 1 Pic 4 is a Carbon copy of the Accord my Family had when we lived in New Zealand. REALLY nice car.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows

Post 1 Pic 4 is a Carbon copy of the Accord my Family had when we lived in New Zealand. REALLY nice car.
    Funny, cause this particular one is North American version.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Funny, cause this particular one is North American version.
    So a Right hand drive copy, so sue me

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    So a Right hand drive copy, so sue me
    I forgive you... But I do wish that I knew more about for example post 4 pic 2 and similar, where were those sold I wonder, got those from european site...
    Last edited by smxi; 11-27-2005 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    I forgive you... But I do wish that I knew more about for example post 4 pic 2 and similar, where where those sold I wonder, got those from european site...
    Post 4 Pic 2 is the Ascot Innova, Sold As a Japan only model under that name, but as the Official Accord in Europe, from what I understand.

There was also the Plain Ascot, or the Rafaga, if you can find pictures of that. It's more a Civic Sized car, and the Domani, which is another version of the Civic.

Thread Information