Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maserati Quattroporte faster than the E60 M5?

it did break down on the top gear test track, i think
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    no amount of speed can compensate for the M5's hideous looks.
    Absolutely. Looks like something that (if large enough) might clog a toilet.

Besides, there's no arguing that the Quattroporte is "faster" by most people's interpretation of the term when the M5 is limited to 155mph

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Absolutely. Looks like something that (if large enough) might clog a toilet.

Besides, there's no arguing that the Quattroporte is "faster" by most people's interpretation of the term when the M5 is limited to 155mph
    I totally agree, I never liked the M5 anyway, it really is ugly IMO. The QP is the definition of a classy sports sedan, and M5 is the opposite. However, I'd be interested to see the CLS55 AMG going against the QP on a track.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    I totally agree, I never liked the M5 anyway, it really is ugly IMO. The QP is the definition of a classy sports sedan, and M5 is the opposite. However, I'd be interested to see the CLS55 AMG going against the QP on a track.
    The SL55AMG, which I believe has the same engine in a smaller car, did 1.30.05 on the EVO track, just under 2 secs slower than the QP.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The SL55AMG, which I believe has the same engine in a smaller car, did 1.30.05 on the EVO track, just under 2 secs slower than the QP.
    i think that the cls is a lighter car than the sl. its based on an e class which weighs 1760kg but the sl weighs almost 2 tonnes, plus the cls should have stiffer bodyshell that would count for something.

a really interesting car to be put round the track to compare with the QP would be the lotus carlton.
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Not wrong, derekthetree...

After studying the speed vs distance chart that they showed in the magazine, it's apparent that the QP gains it's 2/10 over the B5 Alpina in the last two high speed corners. (They didn't show the M5 curve)

Who could ever had thought the voluptuous one would be racier...
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    After studying the speed vs distance chart that they showed in the magazine, it's apparent that the QP gains it's 2/10 over the B5 Alpina in the last two high speed corners. (They didn't show the M5 curve)

Who could ever had thought the voluptuous one would be racier...
    looks don't always deceive
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

The Maserati has more weight over the rear axle because of the transaxle. It also has a brillint skyhook suspension. The M5 has a tendacy to be more nervous and loose traction. I think the Maserati would flow nicer and carry more velocity through the two last high speed corners.
    Last edited by Knuto; 11-30-2005 at 06:44 AM.

The Maserati's handling is insane, obviously it doesnt hold a candle to the M5 in straight line performance.

Thread Information