Thread: World sportscar championship to return???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

World sportscar championship to return???

This week's 'Motorsport News' magazine here in the UK has a big two page spread about a possible recreation of a World Endurance Championship perhaps as early as 2006. There was a meeting between a bunch of the big manufacturers, lead by Ferrari's Jean Todt, and FIA big hitters including Max Mosely. Although people remained tight lipped about the details of the meeting, it appears they were discussing the possibility of creating a championship with unified regulation system that would allow the the current FIA GT cars plus bigger prototype cars, and they would all be available to race Le Mans. It would also be fine for cars from the ALMS to compete. They want to resurrect the glory days of the 80s and early 90s for the sportscar world, while at the same time keeping an eye on the manufacturer's spending so that it doesn't all spiral into the self-destructive days of the mid-late 90s.

I for one hope that the big manufacturers can come to an agreement and get the show on the road. Sportscar racing seems to be fragmenting more and more at the moment with different championships with different rules all over the place. A true world stage where Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Corvette, Vipers, Holden etc can fight it out on the same tracks and over the same series would really be something to see!

That would be great if sportscar racing became the top motorsport again. I'm tired of F1 because its too predictable.

it would be a good thing .. and already were going that way . with the new LMES starting this season
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

The problem is the FIA is involved, they will screw it up before it even gets started.

off course they are involved .. but it will probably Ratel that will control .it ..
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

I dont think Holden will make it into the championship. They may be racing in the Nations Cup here but thats cause theyve got a contract with PROCAR, the organising body for the motorsport, letting them race prototypes and i dont think FIA would take to that all that lightly
    I am the Stig

Thread Information