Thread: World sportscar championship to return???

World sportscar championship to return???

This week's 'Motorsport News' magazine here in the UK has a big two page spread about a possible recreation of a World Endurance Championship perhaps as early as 2006. There was a meeting between a bunch of the big manufacturers, lead by Ferrari's Jean Todt, and FIA big hitters including Max Mosely. Although people remained tight lipped about the details of the meeting, it appears they were discussing the possibility of creating a championship with unified regulation system that would allow the the current FIA GT cars plus bigger prototype cars, and they would all be available to race Le Mans. It would also be fine for cars from the ALMS to compete. They want to resurrect the glory days of the 80s and early 90s for the sportscar world, while at the same time keeping an eye on the manufacturer's spending so that it doesn't all spiral into the self-destructive days of the mid-late 90s.

I for one hope that the big manufacturers can come to an agreement and get the show on the road. Sportscar racing seems to be fragmenting more and more at the moment with different championships with different rules all over the place. A true world stage where Ferrari, Porsche, Mercedes, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Corvette, Vipers, Holden etc can fight it out on the same tracks and over the same series would really be something to see!

That would be great if sportscar racing became the top motorsport again. I'm tired of F1 because its too predictable.

it would be a good thing .. and already were going that way . with the new LMES starting this season
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

The problem is the FIA is involved, they will screw it up before it even gets started.

off course they are involved .. but it will probably Ratel that will control .it ..
    There is no terrible way of winning
    there is just winning

I dont think Holden will make it into the championship. They may be racing in the Nations Cup here but thats cause theyve got a contract with PROCAR, the organising body for the motorsport, letting them race prototypes and i dont think FIA would take to that all that lightly
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    I dont think Holden will make it into the championship. They may be racing in the Nations Cup here but thats cause theyve got a contract with PROCAR, the organising body for the motorsport, letting them race prototypes and i dont think FIA would take to that all that lightly

It would depend on the rules the FIA sets down. But I doubt that any Holden, no matter what spec or how modified, would compete successfully against that new Maserati.

well i think a Maserati MC12 is in a completely different class to a Holden Monaro. Even still the Monaro only comes out with 245kw and the Gen3 so unlike PROCAR, i dont think FIA are going to let the teams slip in a Corvette C5-R engine
    I am the Stig

well i think a Maserati MC12 is in a completely different class to a Holden Monaro. Even still the Monaro only comes out with 245kw and the Gen3 so unlike PROCAR, i dont think FIA are going to let the teams slip in a Corvette C5-R engine
    It is conceivable that a set of rules could be designed allowing manufacturers to use any engine from their range (in the case of Holden, any GM engine) and unlimited freedoms to the suspension, gearbox, body, wheel arches, aerokit and transmission. I doubt very much that the FIA would create such an unlimited formula these days (if you can find any pictures/articles, check out the GT racers from the 70s...such as a BMW 320 Turbo with wild wings) but it is more than possible that classes that are not production based will be allowed. Anyway, if prototypes are allowed, then we're talking Bentley v Audi, with all the rest being class contenders. How does the FIA stop costs getting out of control on a new prototype class?

well if that might be the case, then whats going to stop Ferrari entering a 360 GTC with the engine from the Enzo, or a gallardo with an R-GT engine etc. Holden think theyve one-upped the field by sticking a lemans engine in their sports couple but theyre only fighting the small guns from the italians and the rest of the europeans. they'll surely get a surprise when both Holden and the reast are sticking their biggest, most powerful engines in the smallest, most aerodynamical bodies available
    I am the Stig

well if that might be the case, then whats going to stop Ferrari entering a 360 GTC with the engine from the Enzo, or a gallardo with an R-GT engine etc.
    Doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Now, perhaps we should suggest it to Max Mosley? Imagine those cars at Le Mans....

well it isnt that bad an idea when you get all the entrants on the same playing field. what holden have turned Nations Cup into is the bad idea, they think by putting a 7.0L engine into the Monaro body and raiding the HRT parts bin for suspension and gearbox they can put a solid fight to Ferrari, Chrysler and Lamborghini but all theyve done is created their own class inside a class by entering quite literally a V8 Supercar into the category
    I am the Stig

Here Here!

Thread Information