Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Commuter Cars Tango T600

I dont want to do the elk test (does it have that name in other countries?) in this car.

Quote Originally Posted by carweb
    I dont want to do the elk test (does it have that name in other countries?) in this car.
    Perhaps you could explaine what an 'elk test' should be???
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    Perhaps you could explaine what an 'elk test' should be???
    A sudden, sharp direction change whilst travelling in a straight line at a steady pace (ie as if you were swerving to avoid an elk that walked out into the road!).

It's basically a test as to how likely a car is to topple over during sudden direction changes. I believe the test really gained notoriety after the first model year Mercedes A-Class attained infamy by being spectacularly BAD at this test, causing Mercedes to drastically overhaul the suspension geometry etc.

SUVs/4x4s are notoriously bad at these kinds of tests too. Basically anything tall with a relatively narrow track is gonna be asking for trouble, like this particular oddity.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In
    I can't use that link from college so I can't even respond until later tonight...other than to say that I seriously doubt that something that tall (when compared to its width) would be stable on the motorway (the wind would batter it even worse than a Transit van) and around corners.
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    A sudden, sharp direction change whilst travelling in a straight line at a steady pace (ie as if you were swerving to avoid an elk that walked out into the road!).

It's basically a test as to how likely a car is to topple over during sudden direction changes. I believe the test really gained notoriety after the first model year Mercedes A-Class attained infamy by being spectacularly BAD at this test, causing Mercedes to drastically overhaul the suspension geometry etc.

SUVs/4x4s are notoriously bad at these kinds of tests too. Basically anything tall with a relatively narrow track is gonna be asking for trouble, like this particular oddity.
    This is exactly what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey
    I can't use that link from college so I can't even respond until later tonight...other than to say that I seriously doubt that something that tall (when compared to its width) would be stable on the motorway (the wind would batter it even worse than a Transit van) and around corners.
    You'll be pleasantly surprised, or in for a rude awakening. Whichever you prefer.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In
    You'll be pleasantly surprised, or in for a rude awakening. Whichever you prefer.
    Pleasantly suprised, all the weight (electric motors, battery etc.) must be on the floor...like the recent GM platform but smaller. The suspension must feel like sitting on a pneumatic drill though... and 80 miles on a charge? The only thing that'll beat is the Ford GT!!!

The only other thing is the price, but then if it took off, the technology and the vehicle would become cheaper. Still wouldn't want to be seen in one though, it looks like a mobility scooter on steroids! They should try a bike with the same tech, the shape would be more appealing.

people would laugh... that would be untill you smoked them!!!
    Awsome little thing. If I had the means, i would most definatly BUY one!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

lol @ the autorcross video.. that thing looks rediculous..its got some decent competition in the looks dept tho.. google obvio [and click the obvio USA--then click the 012 link] .. its better lookin.. dunno if it would be faster? 1600lbs+250hp midEngine+RWD+9"wide rear tires.. make up yer own mind-- i'm checkin it out @ the LA auto show.
    Last edited by suzq044; 12-02-2005 at 09:38 PM.

If a light-assembly ran across the entire width it'd look more like a motorbike and less like a squashed car.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Thread Information