Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Territory Turbo Spied

Territory Turbo Spied

New Territory caught in the wild
    James Stanford and Paul Gover

02dec05

The turbo-boosted Territory has been caught out in the open. Ford's new all-wheel-drive, which is expected to be launched at the Melbourne International Motor Show next February, has been captured on camera by CARSguide.

The exclusive picture shows a prototype Territory with front body cladding that fails to hide a large turbo air intake. Ford Australia refuses to confirm its plans to produce a turbo version of the crossover wagon, but the boosted Territory has been in development for some time and is tipped to arrive in showrooms next year.
    The fast Territory has been developed by Ford's technology partner Prodrive, which also played a lead role in the development of the original Falcon XR6 turbo.

However the turbo Territory will be a Ford only product and not an FPV. That leaves open the possibility of a more potent FPV Territory turbo to be developed later on, just as the FPV Typhoon followed the Ford Falcon XR6 turbo.

The turbo Territory will be an all-wheel-drive model, even though Ford could have saved some development costs and released it as rear-wheel-drive model. It uses an engine with a different set-up to the regular XR6 turbo.

The turbo intercooler (which cools air before it is pushed into the turbo-charger) in the XR6 turbo is mounted at the front of the engine, because there is not enough space at the top.

The intercooler for the boosted Territory sits atop the engine, a location which offers many packaging advantages, including less intercooler tubing, for one.

That explains the air scoop on the bonnet; to force fresh air on to the intercooler. The air scoop is not only functional, but also makes the turbo Territory model stand out from the standard models, much like the XR8's bulging bonnet differentiates them from XR6s.

The turbo Territory features uniquely-tuned suspension -- which is firmer than the standard Territory set-up -- and more potent brakes.

The Territory is currently only sold with one engine; the 4.0-litre in-line six-cylinder that is also used in the Falcon range.

Ford is believed to be also considering a diesel powerplant for the Territory.

A top quality 2.7-litre V6 turbo diesel could be sourced from prestige brands Land Rover and Jaguar, which are part of the wider Ford family, but the cost of sourcing the hi-tech engine is believed to pose a problem.

Another option is a duel fuel, or single fuel LPG Territory, but Ford does not appear keen.

"That is much further down the interest tree," says Ford Australia spokeswoman Sinead McAlary. She adds that the company is considering a range of options for the Territory but will not comment on what those options are.

One of the biggest problems with the LPG Territory is that the larger gas tank would take up the space used to store the spare wheel.

The spare wheel would then have to be carried inside the vehicle, which is far from ideal.

There is also the question of whether there would be much demand, given that most of LPG Falcons are sold to fleets, while very few Territory models are bought as fleet vehicles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonnet scoop looks pretty coool...Cant notice much difference in front styling...id say there would be in the final product though...

Now ive just gotta convince my dad to trade in his territory for the turbo model
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Well this is the one thing this car needs is some Balls. It's the only thing missing from a very good family car. Now mum and dad can have fun
    PLEASE FIX THE ACCELERATOR IT'S LIFE LESS SLOW
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

FPV Terror-tory anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    PLEASE FIX THE ACCELERATOR IT'S LIFE LESS SLOW
    amen to that
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution
    FPV Terror-tory anybody?
    CAPA are one step ahead of you on that front. Thats what they nicknamed the RWD Tezza they slotted an XR8 engine into with a V2 Vortec.

18 months ago almost when the Territory was first released and talk of a turbo version was in full orbit, most people were saying 2006 at the earliest, and its looking like they could be right. It'll be interesting to see how the wheel/tyre package gets upgraded though. If you consider that the X5 4.8 has 20" rims on something like 310/35 profile rear tyres, they'll need to go all out like that, as the current 55/235's wont stand up to what owners will want to give them.
    I am the Stig

hopefully it packs a decent punch.

Im not keen on TMIC as they look funny i and i reckon FMIC work better and look tougher. i mean a tezza with a polished front mount showing through the front will make me take notice more then a tiny intake in the bonnet.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    CAPA are one step ahead of you on that front. Thats what they nicknamed the RWD Tezza they slotted an XR8 engine into with a V2 Vortec.

18 months ago almost when the Territory was first released and talk of a turbo version was in full orbit, most people were saying 2006 at the earliest, and its looking like they could be right. It'll be interesting to see how the wheel/tyre package gets upgraded though. If you consider that the X5 4.8 has 20" rims on something like 310/35 profile rear tyres, they'll need to go all out like that, as the current 55/235's wont stand up to what owners will want to give them.
    I read about that CAPA Territory in the Motor Hot Tuner 2 issue about a year ago. If aftermarket tuners can slot a V8 into the Territory's engine bay, how come Ford can't?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolution
    I read about that CAPA Territory in the Motor Hot Tuner 2 issue about a year ago. If aftermarket tuners can slot a V8 into the Territory's engine bay, how come Ford can't?
    IIRC to jam the 5.4 V8 in, CAPA had to revert to using Falcon's double wishbone frontend - not Territory's new 'virtual pivot' system. Even so, CAPA's conversion was 2WD-only because there was zero room for the front-driveshafts & diff of AWD

Apparently top-mount intercoolers works better because they're closer to the engine. A top-mount won't suffer eventual stone damage. Its also far less susceptible to typical crash damage, so lower insurance rates

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Apparently top-mount intercoolers works better because they're closer to the engine. A top-mount won't suffer eventual stone damage. Its also far less susceptible to typical crash damage, so lower insurance rates
    For an SUV they seem to be the better option, but for a performance application like the WRX and STi a front mount is better as the heat from the engine negates the intercoolers cooling effect.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by ADRENALINE
    amen to that
    I was starting to think i was the only one I hope all Fords arn't the same I wonder if the VZ is the same to?
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

[QUOTE=ADRENALINE]New Territory caught in the wild

HOLY **** HELP ME
    Oh its just that...Saw it in cars guide a while back, the hump is nice isnt it.

^^Why didn't that quote work???
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    a front mount is better as the heat from the engine negates the intercoolers cooling effect.
    One of those recent test comparos between EVO & STI claimed tops were better than fronts - and we all know how accurate AU mags are! But I don't pretend to know either way, which is why I included the "apparently" as a qualifier

Thanks for the correction FPV

Nizpro already built a turbo territory
    http://www.nizpro.com.au/outlaw_terror_main.html
    About 450kw and 11sec 1/4s and it has low volume compliance... which unfortunately means that an FPV turbo territory will look comparitively soft by the time it comes out.
    Last edited by P4g4nite; 12-07-2005 at 10:11 PM.

On the way to Melbourne from Ballarat, I saw a silver Tezza with what looked to be 18/19's with a intercooler, and a Stripe kit.....maybe one of them?
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Too true, so much power, but there is the cost, almost 100k. Furthermore, my guess is that the FPV version will be far more refined and the build quality will be superior, even if by only a small amount. The body kit, albiet subtle, would be more well though of and better implemented than the nizpro version imho. But then again, who really is going to drag thier nizpro territory? Not too many...
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Thread Information