Thread: Mass airflow sensor

Mass airflow sensor

Would an upgraded mass airflow sensor affect gas mileage? Im thinking so but am not sure. Im buying a 2002 slp camaro ss and it has an slp mass airflow sensor. The seller is also including the original sensor and I am trying to decide if i should put the old one back on, as this is going to be a daily driver. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gtface
    Would an upgraded mass airflow sensor affect gas mileage? Im thinking so but am not sure. Im buying a 2002 slp camaro ss and it has an slp mass airflow sensor. The seller is also including the original sensor and I am trying to decide if i should put the old one back on, as this is going to be a daily driver. Thanks.
    It shouldn't really make a difference. The modification will allow the engine to produce more horsepower higher up in the rav range, but its effect on gas milage will be negligable.

I have an alternative idea though - sell the SLP sensor on eBay, get some cash, and put the stock one back on.

Very well said Egg Nog.

Dont bother with 'upgrading' the MAF on an LS1, its pointless and can actually LOWER you power(can add too much timing).
    Go to LS1tech.com, probably the best ls1 forum out there.

For gas milage, get a lid and better flowing exhaust (you will also gain some decent power as well.)

Thanks for your help. Ill go ahead and put the old sensor back opn once i get the car. The exhaust has already been upgraded by slp by the way.

Thanks for your help. Ill go ahead and put the old sensor back opn once i get the car. The exhaust has already been upgraded by slp by the way.
    Cool, did you get a 6 speed or auto?

6 speed. This thing is sweet it has a hurst short throw shifter, an upgraded suspension, upgraded exhaust, and its still under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    better flowing exhaust (you will also gain some decent power as well.)
    A bigger exhaust won't increase your power.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Better flowing =/= bigger. Read my post.

Either way the factory exhaust is VERY restrictive, and its common to see a gain of 10-20 RWHP with a new catback.

6 speed. This thing is sweet it has a hurst short throw shifter, an upgraded suspension, upgraded exhaust, and its still under warranty.
    Very nice, glad you got the 6 speed, much more fun. How many miles?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    wot planet r u living on dude...
    Self confessed boost junkie:)
    84' Nissan N12 EXA, E15ET turbo.....with upgraded turbo:)
    UCP's biggest Afro on a white man!!!

About 8500 miles on it right now. The guy i bought it from only drove it once a week, and every week after he drove it that one time he would wash it. This guy totally babied it. He changed the oil about once every 300 miles, and he kept records of every oil change and even every time he bought gas! He also did all of the scheduled maintinence about 2000 miles before the recommended time. I got an incredible deal on this car and I am extremely happy with it. I still have to do the egg nogg test on it so as soon as i get ahold of a digital camera or figure out how to post pictures taken on my camera phone i will.
    Last edited by gtface; 12-04-2005 at 07:43 PM.

About 8500 miles on it right now. The guy i bought it from only drove it once a week, and every week after he drove it that one time he would wash it. This guy totally babied it. He changed the oil about once every 300 miles, and he kept records of every oil change and even every time he bought gas! He also did all of the scheduled maintinence about 2000 miles before the recommended time. I got an incredible deal on this car and I am extremely happy with it. I still to do the egg nogg test on it so as soon as i get ahold of a digital camera or figure out how to post pictures taken on my camera phone i will.
    Holy cr@p!
    You practically got a brand new car!

Make sure you join up LS1tech.com, smartest thing you can do. You will learn so much there.

Thread Information