Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What makes a supercar a supercar?

What makes a supercar a supercar?

Speed wise I think you could say a supercar must be under four seconds 0-60, under 12 seconds 1/4 mile and a top speed over 200 mph. And then of course it would have to have extremely good handling.

Under 4 secs 0-60? I think there can be supercars slower than that like a porsche 996 carrera 4 that does 0-60 in 4.9 secs or a ferrari 575 maranello that does 0-60 in 4.1

Speed has a lot to do with being a "supercar" but wouldn't you consider those 2 cars supercars? And there are many other examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    Under 4 secs 0-60? I think there can be supercars slower than that like a porsche 996 carrera 4 that does 0-60 in 4.9 secs or a ferrari 575 maranello that does 0-60 in 4.1

Speed has a lot to do with being a "supercar" but wouldn't you consider those 2 cars supercars? And there are many other examples.
    A good and not too rigid rule for "supercar" is price. Cars that take no account of economy qualify in this range. EX:Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, etc.... The cars made by these companies go fast but not all make the 4 second criteria, or the 200mph top speed. The Corvette Z06 is a very fast car that can compete with much pricier foreign rivals, but at 40K, it's not a supercar.
    Stickers add horsepower. I promise.

In my view, a supercar is a car that will hit 60 mph in under 6 secs and have a top speed of over 160 mph. Eg. BMW M1- 0-60 mph 5.6 secs 162 mph top speed.

i agree with Doza... its all about price and brand, escpecialyy with ferrari u can end up paying like 100,000 jus for the ferrari name

I dont think a car with a 0-60 time of 4.9 should be considered a supercar. I also dont think that price should be the main criteria, it should be performance. A Bentley Arnage costs a lot of money, but i dont consider it to be a supercar.

Quote Originally Posted by gtface
    I dont think a car with a 0-60 time of 4.9 should be considered a supercar. I also dont think that price should be the main criteria, it should be performance. A Bentley Arnage costs a lot of money, but i dont consider it to be a supercar.

Why? is 4.9 secs too slow??? seems fast to me. If a carrera 4 is not a supercar then what is it? starting where it becomes a supercar? (price and speed) ??

Quote Originally Posted by Doza
    A good and not too rigid rule for "supercar" is price. Cars that take no account of economy qualify in this range. EX:Lamborghini, Ferrari, Maserati, etc.... The cars made by these companies go fast but not all make the 4 second criteria, or the 200mph top speed. The Corvette Z06 is a very fast car that can compete with much pricier foreign rivals, but at 40K, it's not a supercar.

Price has NOTHING to do with it, I think a Z06 is pretty much a supercar. A viper costs 75k is that enough to be a supercar? or does it have to be 200k like a ferrari? What if mclaren decides to do another 620hp v12 6.0 liter 0-60 in 3.6 secs car and sell it for 20k? well I guess it wouldn't be a supercar, is too cheap.............. Come on people what are you thinking!

i've got to disagree with you

A 996 is a fine car, but not a supercar.

Under four seconds is mandatory nowadays. 20 years ago, the m1 was a supercar, today it is not. Supercars exhibit the finest of every quality. Speed, handling, rarity, price, interior. These things make a supercar. Price should easily be above 150, and more likely above 200. I think the 360 is a fine car, but no longer do I consider it a supercar. The carrera gt is a supercar, the enzo, mclaren, saleen, koenigsegg, zonda are all supercars as well.

Supercars and super-exclusivity seem to go hand in hand.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    i've got to disagree with you

A 996 is a fine car, but not a supercar.

Under four seconds is mandatory nowadays. 20 years ago, the m1 was a supercar, today it is not. Supercars exhibit the finest of every quality. Speed, handling, rarity, price, interior. These things make a supercar. Price should easily be above 150, and more likely above 200. I think the 360 is a fine car, but no longer do I consider it a supercar. The carrera gt is a supercar, the enzo, mclaren, saleen, koenigsegg, zonda are all supercars as well.

Supercars and super-exclusivity seem to go hand in hand.

Well, I guess everyone has different views about what is a supercar. But price I believe shouldn't be that important. As I said what if mclaren or other company............

You can't really put a supercar in a price range or power range... basically its a stock car that is fast (obviously) but most importantly, singular. Like, a cheap, tuned up car could reach those speeds, but it does have the uniqueness that makes you say wow when you look at the car. Expensive cars (bentleys, etc.) are impressive because they're expensive, not because they have that quality that any true supercars have. Also, if you have connections in the race industry it's possible to get old cars for about 20k that are easily supercars, so price can't really affect if a car is a supercar.

I agree completely,cause you could easily take a Skyline or Eclipse,ect, tune it up, and reach the speeds of a Mclaren F1 LM.But just because it can run with the "supercars" doesn't mean it is one.

I also think the car has to look nice.Not in a tuner way, but in tht Mercedes CLK GTR, Mclaren F1 way.Nice and sleek.
    Your car is like a reflection of you.You'll know it's me in that orange Eclipse on spinners.

I think that that a supercar should have a 0-60 time of under 4 seconds and/or a top speed over 200 mph. I dont really consider the zo6 to be a supercar, even though it is probably my favorite car. Maybe a viper though, who knows.

you are forgeting something guys.... something extremelly important... the way u feel when u look at a car when it passes by. to me a super car has an aura... something you recognize a mile away... somethig that gives u the shivers whenever you see one rip by you. to me a super car is a car that would make u kill your granny for a spin in it...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    you are forgeting something guys.... something extremelly important... the way u feel when u look at a car when it passes by. to me a super car has an aura... something you recognize a mile away... somethig that gives u the shivers whenever you see one rip by you. to me a super car is a car that would make u kill your granny for a spin in it...
    That's right, it's desireability (if spelled right) and loveability that are important when determining what is the definition of a supercar.

I think it doesn't have to go 300km/h or to 100 in under 4 seconds...It should be challenging and sporty.
    Dreaming of a Peugeot 106 Rallye...

Thread Information