Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Shooting Brake

Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Shooting Brake

Introduced in 1968 with production beginning in 1969, the 365 GTB/4 was Ferrari's response to an evolving market and, even more important, changing regulations in its most important market, the United States, where increasingly stringent emissions standards and rigid safety-related regulations had made the previous generation of Ferraris unsaleable. The 365 GTB/4 was bigger, both in bulk and in the power to propel it, more luxuriously equipped and was wrapped in a Pininfarina-designed, Scaglietti-built body that was equally a departure from earlier Ferraris.

Pininfarina's landmark design epitomized the ultimate in front-engined, V12-powered berlinettas, a combination of beauty and performance that has become an icon of design. Few chose to experiment with the Daytona's design but one who did was Luigi Chinetti, Jr., son of the three-time Le Mans winner and U.S. Ferrari importer. Lou, or 'Coco' as he was known in his youth, was not only an accomplished driver but also a talented designer. Not surprisingly, Lou Chinetti's designs sometimes found expression on Ferraris, including this exceptional and well known Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Shooting Break.

Conceived by Luigi Chinetti, Jr. with detail layout by Gene Garfinkle for Bob Gittelman, a prominent architect and home builder, this unique Ferrari was built by Panther Westwinds in the U.K. and has been featured in The Prancing Horse (number 45), Road & Track (March 1976), Road & Tracks Exotic Cars Quarterly (April 1990) and Scuderia magazines. It is a remarkable statement that integrates neatly with the Daytona's style and recalls the famous Ferrari 250GT SWB Breadvan with its extended roofline and steeply sloped backlight. The side windows curve gently into the roof for visibility and an airy feel that belies the bulk of the added bodywork, aided by the gigantic rear window. Access to the rear compartment is through the side windows which are hinged at the top and open gullwing-style. The instruments are concentrated in the center stack, angled toward the driver. Luxuriously trimmed in Connolly suede leather complemented by a rich wood paneled rear deck, the Chinetti shooting brake is finished in an imposing black livery that enhances the Daytona's unique lines, set off by an orange panel across the nose.

This extraordinary Ferrari Daytona one-off has had only four owners from new. From Gittleman it was sold in 1984 to Texas oilman and well-known race team owner John Mecom, then sold at auction in 1988 to its next owner, dealer and collector William Kontes from whom it passed to its present owner in 1999. In the present ownership it has been displayed at the Paleis Het Loo Concours in 2000, at the Cartier Style et Luxe Concours at the Goodwood Festival of Speed in 2001 and at the Villa d'Este Concorso di Eleganza in 2002. Described as in perfect condition throughout, the car has covered just 5,000 miles from new.

At their upcoming sale in Gstaad Switzerland on Friday December 19th 2005, Bonhams will offer 15275 at an estimate price of $475 000 USD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

That'll be shooting BRAKE, Asif

Looks weird, like an invalid carriage. I prefer Aston's efforts

I had thought that but look:
    http://www.barchetta.cc/All.Ferraris...t-2-2-s-2.html
    another Ferrari "shooting break"..got me kinda confused.

Being nice since 2007.

Its an ugly ****ing thing...

actually doesn't look too bad
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

I have more pictures of this vehicle, but not high-res. Tell me so if you want them and I will post them, but I remind everyone, they're not high-res.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3
    I have more pictures of this vehicle, but not high-res. Tell me so if you want them and I will post them, but I remind everyone, they're not high-res.
    Post em, I like the way it looks
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    Post em, I like the way it looks
    patience, we'll be in Gstaad in a couple of days and everything will be revealed to you
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    patience, we'll be in Gstaad in a couple of days and everything will be revealed to you
    really? look forward to it
    I like the rear on this, it's weird, kind of reminds me of that new electric Volvo concept, the 3CC, but a bit less "stepped"...if that makes any sense..lol

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Sounds promising
    I think Koenigsegg is Swedish for: "Oh no, my head's just exploded!"

Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rijoh
    Sounds promising
    well, you should know by know what UCP's annual X-mas update consists of
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    really? look forward to it
    I like the rear on this, it's weird, kind of reminds me of that new electric Volvo concept, the 3CC, but a bit less "stepped"...if that makes any sense..lol
    We have covered the auction since 2002, so it's not really a surprise.

If you look here at the 2003 running, you should run into some more shots of this car:
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame...hp&mode=annual
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by PininfarinaPIMP
    Its an ugly ****ing thing...
    How can you say that? it looks so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    Piacki's on crack again.
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Quote Originally Posted by Piacki_117
    I agree, but there's no point in arguing with anyone, it's just a matter of taste and opinion.

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information